shape
carat
color
clarity

Would It Look Strange If I Combined Akoya Pearl and South Sea Pearls In Earrings?

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I was going through my jewelry for inventory on my spreadsheet I found a pair of 7.5 Akoyas I've never worn before. The luster is quite nice, and I would like to repurpose the earring to a pair of pearl drops.

Would it look strange if I used the 7.5mm Akoyas for the earring and South Sea 11-12mm for the drops? TIA!

thumbnail_file3.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_file3.jpg
    thumbnail_file3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 76

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that should make for a gorgeous pairing! Any chance you can post photos of the specific pearls?

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't found the South Sea Pearls yet. It's been raining but I managed to take a picture of my earrings.

IMG_0051 (Large).JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your earrings.:love: Personally I would prefer keeping the type of pearl the same in the drop but there's no right or wrong. Since you already have the Akoyas but not the South Sea why dont you try finding Akoyas in the size you want to complete the drops? Just thinking aloud here.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love your earrings.:love: Personally I would prefer keeping the type of pearl the same in the drop but there's no right or wrong. Since you already have the Akoyas but not the South Sea why dont you try finding Akoyas in the size you want to complete the drops? Just thinking aloud here.

I do like these earrings but I have another pair of 9mm akoyas without diamonds. I liked the smaller size because it would balance out the look of those earrings more.

I would like to find a pearl that is around 11.5mm-12mm, and akoyas don't come in that size.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm getting an estimate from Pearl Paradise for the earrings, they suggested using either a box chain or a Forzatina chain. I am going to get a bigger pearl on the bottom, like 11.5-12mm. Thoughts?

Pearl dangle-earrings.jpg

Attachments

• Pearl dangle-earrings.jpg
    Pearl dangle-earrings.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 75

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'd need to be careful to find the *right* south sea pearls - as in, have PP match them to your akoyas as close as possible in terms of luster and colour (as WSS tend to be whiter and less pink in general than typical pinked akoyas, and with more of a satin luster, especially in the larger sizes). The good thing is that PP has a large stock, and would have a pretty good chance of finding a set that would get you close enough to not notice that much of a difference with the drop between the top and bottom pearls.

I've also had them just make jackets for me with the Forzatina chain and a jump ring that fits on the back of my studs when I wear them for extra versatility. They are not *quite* as comfortable to wear as a finished fixed earring, but comfortable enough to work for a day of wearing them for sure. The only thing is that 2 inches is quite a swing...you might want to make sure your earlobes can handle the weight of an 11 mm pearl with as much movement as would occur with a drop of that length. My jackets are about an inch, and that's plenty for my (albeit sensitive) ears.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you'd need to be careful to find the *right* south sea pearls - as in, have PP match them to your akoyas as close as possible in terms of luster and colour (as WSS tend to be whiter and less pink in general than typical pinked akoyas, and with more of a satin luster, especially in the larger sizes). The good thing is that PP has a large stock, and would have a pretty good chance of finding a set that would get you close enough to not notice that much of a difference with the drop between the top and bottom pearls.

I've also had them just make jackets for me with the Forzatina chain and a jump ring that fits on the back of my studs when I wear them for extra versatility. They are not *quite* as comfortable to wear as a finished fixed earring, but comfortable enough to work for a day of wearing them for sure. The only thing is that 2 inches is quite a swing...you might want to make sure your earlobes can handle the weight of an 11 mm pearl with as much movement as would occur with a drop of that length. My jackets are about an inch, and that's plenty for my (albeit sensitive) ears.

I am still waiting for the estimate from PP. But you're right in terms of the weight of the SS pearls, they can be quite heavy. I wonder if a freshwater pearl is just as heavy?

I prefer to have it as a fixed earring. I've had pearl jackets to go with my diamond studs and they were a lot of effort to wear. I have since reset the pearls with chain to pearl studs.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freshwater pearls do tend to be lighter. Sometimes you can luck out and find some with metallic enough luster and enough pink in them to blend ok with akoya pearls, but the base tone of white tends to be a lot more creamy than either akoya or WSW pearls and the nacre quality is different (they tend to look almost like transparent soap bubbles rather than solid the way salt water pearls do), so I think you'd have more luck with WSS pearls. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

I hear you about the jackets. I rarely wear mine because they are a pain to fiddle with and they are not all that comfortable. I tend to wear the ones that are designed to go on my hoops a lot more.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I brought Wink's studs to Hong Kong to see what I could do with them. The jeweler I went to found some 10mm freshwaters that he matched as close as possible to them. I decided on a shorted length of 1.5" and it worked well for me since I am petite . I really like how they came out! I think the diamond gave the earrings a little bit of "oomph" to them.

Pearl Drops.jpeg

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I was shopping I found a pair of costume hoop earrings that had a pearl attached to the bottom so I had the jeweler made me a pair in 18K with 8mm freshwater pearls. I like how I can wear them casually or dressed up.

Pearl Hoop Earrings.jpeg

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I brought Wink's studs to Hong Kong to see what I could do with them. The jeweler I went to found some 10mm freshwaters that he matched as close as possible to them. I decided on a shorted length of 1.5" and it worked well for me since I am petite . I really like how they came out! I think the diamond gave the earrings a little bit of "oomph" to them.

Pearl Drops.jpeg
Wow, turned out really nicely! Gorgeous against your dark hair!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results