shape
carat
color
clarity

Would it look funny if dining chairs are different color wood than table?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have posted before aobut trouble I''m having with my kitchen dining chairs and having pads stay on the bottom of them. The look like and the feet are not flat on the ground and pads won''t stay on. Plus they are the exact same color as my table. My table is a huge pedestal type table made out of natural oak wood. The table is good and I need a huge table for my kids and me and its a great homework space.

I am thinking of replacing the chairs because I don''t like them. And the feet don''t stay flat on the ground and they are destryoing my beautiful wood floors in my dining area.

Here is the question, would it look weird or good to have the chairs be a different type of wood. I''m thinking black chairs, wood but black. I don''t want to spend a lot of money on the chairs. I saw some cute ones at target.com that have good reviews and the price is really great.

Here is what I am thinking and keep in mind that my table is natural oak. I would need to buy 6 chairs to fit around my table so thats 3 sets of 2. They are on sale now for $119 for TWO with free shipping. Plus I have a 10% off coupon so that would be $321 plus tax for 6 wood chairs. What do you all think? Nice look or tacky with natural oak. I can''t decide. I''m kind of sick of the matchy matchy look. And I think these chairs are really pretty.

http://www.target.com/dp/B000E1TQ0A/182-0083037-1998244#communityReviews

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I wouldn''t like it. But if you are tired of the matchy-matchy look and like these chairs, then you shoul go for it. It''s your house, your rules
2.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I'd do it, but only if the style of the table/chairs match (ie don't put shabby chic with ultra modern).

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My table is red and my chairs are off-white and oak. I think it''s cute when you mix paint and wood. Mixing two woods in one "piece" is a bit trickier. I think you have to make sure the styles are perfect together and the woods compliment each other or completely contrast. If you''re mixing woods, you may want to get another piece of a different wood or of the woods combined in the same room to tie them together.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting those links! Very helpful in seeing how it would look.

So I posted the chairs I am thinking of in the first link. Very traditional chairs.

Here is what my table looks like (and I''m not replacing it)

My table looks just like this one but in natural oak:

http://www.brandenberryamishfurniture.com/product/view/869/Amish-Double-Pedestal-Table-

And again, here is the link to the chairs I am thinkinkg.

Good look together or no go:
-http://www.target.com/Adams-Dining-Chairs-Set-Black/dp/B000E1TQ0A/ref=huc_ic_3_pn

I was also looking at these chairs but think it might be risker because it would look like I''m trying to match the woods and it might be way off. So I thought i might be better off with the black so there is no attempt.

http://www.target.com/Hannah-Chairs-Light-Oak/dp/B000Y1RS50/ref=huc_ic_2_IMG

I don''t want to spend a lot of money but want a nice put together look.

And if it helps, my dining room which is right off the kitchen I''ve turned into a computer lab and have 2 desk and chairs in there (along with my aquariums) and that room, I have black wood chairs for the desks. So the kitchen chairs wold not be the only black chairs in the house.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the other replies, but here's my 2 cents.

If you pick chairs that are obviously different- ie, black or white chairs with a medium toned stained wood table, I think it's fine. If you're trying to "match" the chairs and the color of the wood is close, but obviously not the same, I think it looks weird.

Personally, I like walnut chairs with cherry tables; cherry chairs with white maple tables, etc.

ETA: Just looked at your links. I like the dark chairs, just not with your table. I don't think the second chair you linked to works at all. The wood color is way too close. Does it come in a dark option at all? Can you find a shaker style chair like what was in the Ethan Allen (I think) link? That style would really work with you table. My grandparents have a table like yours as well and they have cane seat ladder back chairs with it. Somewhat similar to the second chair you posted, but the lines are a little cleaner (if that makes sense).

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 2:55:43 PM
Author: April20
I haven't read the other replies, but here's my 2 cents.

If you pick chairs that are obviously different- ie, black or white chairs with a medium toned stained wood table, I think it's fine. If you're trying to 'match' the chairs and the color of the wood is close, but obviously not the same, I think it looks weird.

Personally, I like walnut chairs with cherry tables; cherry chairs with white maple tables, etc.
Thats a good point April and what I was thinking. I can't afford super expensive right now.

These might be a good choice too. I'm thinking I should stay away from Oak because I'm never going to match my table exactly. The table is 9 years old and darkened with age.
http://www.target.com/American-Simplicity-Oslo-Chair-Set/dp/B000U6HZWA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=walnut%20dining%20chair&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=American%20Simplicity%20Oslo%20Chair%20Set&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=walnut%20dining%20chair

Or this one:
http://www.target.com/Avington-Dining-Chair/dp/B0011YTXH0/ref=sc_pd_gwb_5_title

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:00:06 PM
Author: asscherisme

Date: 3/3/2010 2:55:43 PM
I haven''t read the other replies, but here''s my 2 cents.

If you pick chairs that are obviously different- ie, black or white chairs with a medium toned stained wood table, I think it''s fine. If you''re trying to ''match'' the chairs and the color of the wood is close, but obviously not the same, I think it looks weird.

Thats a good point April and what I was thinking. I can''t afford super expensive right now.

These might be a good choice too. I''m thinking I should stay away from Oak because I''m never going to match my table exactly. The table is 9 years old and darkened with age.
http://www.target.com/American-Simplicity-Oslo-Chair-Set/dp/B000U6HZWA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=walnut%20dining%20chair&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=American%20Simplicity%20Oslo%20Chair%20Set&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=walnut%20dining%20chair
I like those, but I like the lines of this one better.
1.gif

http://www.target.com/Teak-Vertical-Slat-Chair-Modern/dp/B000B8A218/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_title?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=38650671C7C443AD9E53&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000U6HZWA&pf_rd_p=58371022&pf_rd_s=bottom-4

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I really like the first ones you suggested. I want to stay with target because of price, plus the sale right now, my 10% off coupon on top of the sale, free shipping and I like that if the chair arrives and I don''t like them I can return them at target instead of having to deal with shipping.

Anyway, that first chair you suggested is really pretty. Great reviews on it too. Hmm, I need to think about this.

Do you think it would look good with my table that I posted and keep in mind its natural oak?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 1:40:06 PM
Author: kama_s
Personally, I wouldn''t like it. But if you are tired of the matchy-matchy look and like these chairs, then you shoul go for it. It''s your house, your rules
2.gif
I use to be into matchy matchy stuff when I was younger. But I have foujnd as I have gotten older, I''m getting away from that.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the look of furniture coming together like it took years to collect (not just going to a furniture store and buying the model room) so I think it could work!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea! post pics of whatever you decide.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of non matching tables and chairs personally. We have a way non matching set- a farm table and bertoia wire chairs. But I LOVE the juxtaposition. It''s very interesting to me.

I also like the teak modern ones that April suggested with your table. And I agree that if you are going to contrast, make sure to contrast. The worst IMO is things that look like they are supposed to match but don''t!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:06:35 PM
Oh, I really like the first ones you suggested. I want to stay with target because of price, plus the sale right now, my 10% off coupon on top of the sale, free shipping and I like that if the chair arrives and I don''t like them I can return them at target instead of having to deal with shipping.

Anyway, that first chair you suggested is really pretty. Great reviews on it too. Hmm, I need to think about this.

Do you think it would look good with my table that I posted and keep in mind its natural oak?
I think it will be fine if the stain on the chairs is dark enough. If it''s closer to medium on the chairs, I think they might be too light.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Janinegirly,

Sometimes it''s worthwhile to stop by the Crate and Barrell outlet in East Windsor, NJ for super great bargains. We picked these up for rush chairs $15 each a few years ago. They have all sorts of stuff people wouldn''t accept and great bargains, kitchenwares, returned furniture, lighting, home goods, etc. Its a pot luck shot, some days we score, others we luck out, but we frequently visit for great bargains. Good luck with your project.

rushchairs.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Mismatching chairs and tables are VERY hot in decorating right now. In fact, i don''t see many matching sets in mags or design shows all that often. Eclectic is in, and as i''d say that as long as you keep the chairs very different looking than the table, it''ll look great.
I am building a new home now and we are going with a big, solid rustic looking family table in a stained wood and cream colored, prettier chairs with patterned seats.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
here is just a quick example of a mis-matched combo--may not even be close to your style, but this is the type of thing that is common in decorating right now...

43_2.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
another...

designinckithen2_thumb.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Another mismatched chair sample

diningnightview.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of mismatched. I used to be matchy matchy too but i''m not now.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I know that you already ordred the chairs, but I wanted to let you know that I used to work at a furniture store and they paired black chairs with oak tables all the time. And on the flip black tables with oak chairs which I did not like as much.

Brohill has a collection called Attic Herilooms and they had a rustic looking oak table and then black chairs that went with it and a black bench and it was bought all the time.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 5:55:55 PM
Thanks for all the help and input. I just ordered this one:

https://www.target.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html/182-0083037-1998244?ie=UTF8&orderID=601-4005714-9859436

Ordering online makes me nervous sometimes because shipping back can be an issue. But since I can return to target if it does not work out, takes the risk out.

I''m excited. I hate my current chairs! And so do my kids. I think this will modernize my table a little bit. Or at a minimum update my kitchen look.
Ahh! The link didn''t work. Which one did you order??? I am DYING to know. Furniture is one of my favorite things to buy!
9.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
my kitchen table and chairs are mismatched, so I guess I like that.
It doesn''t look funny.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny, but I am looking at Amish furniture right now for my breakfast room! I am going with maple, but I am thinking of having the tabletop stained and the apron and legs black and the chairs black. I love black and wood together! I am planning to get this style chair but in black painted maple. I like it much better in black.

http://www.brandenberryamishfurniture.com/product/view/1512/Amish-Post-Sheaf-Chair-

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 7:12:40 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 5:55:55 PM
Thanks for all the help and input. I just ordered this one:

https://www.target.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html/182-0083037-1998244?ie=UTF8&orderID=601-4005714-9859436

Ordering online makes me nervous sometimes because shipping back can be an issue. But since I can return to target if it does not work out, takes the risk out.

I''m excited. I hate my current chairs! And so do my kids. I think this will modernize my table a little bit. Or at a minimum update my kitchen look.
Ahh! The link didn''t work. Which one did you order??? I am DYING to know. Furniture is one of my favorite things to buy!
9.gif
Well, I had ordered the ones you suggested. They are really pretty. But my first instinct was to go with black and then I doubted myself. Then after a few hours, I had buyers remorse and thankfully I was able to back in and cancel and reorder something in black which was my first choice.

I ened up ordering these and am really excited. My daughter helped me choose :)

I hate my current chairs and really can''t wait to get rid of them. I can''t even donate them becuase they are in awful shape. I have gorilla glued parts back together on more than one occasion! And some of them have glue drippings on them from my sloppy job.

My kids hate the chairs too so they are happy I am getting new ones.

I love the "X" look on these. They have a clean line to them.

http://www.target.com/Antique-Black-Dining-Chairs-Set/dp/B0002TG1L6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=black%20chair&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Antique%20Black%20Dining%20Chairs%20Set&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=black%20chair

April20

Ideal_Rock
I love those! I saw those on the website after I linked to the other ones. I am sure they will be great with your table!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 9:08:52 PM

Well, I had ordered the ones you suggested. They are really pretty. But my first instinct was to go with black and then I doubted myself. Then after a few hours, I had buyers remorse and thankfully I was able to back in and cancel and reorder something in black which was my first choice.

I ened up ordering these and am really excited. My daughter helped me choose :)

I hate my current chairs and really can''t wait to get rid of them. I can''t even donate them becuase they are in awful shape. I have gorilla glued parts back together on more than one occasion! And some of them have glue drippings on them from my sloppy job.

My kids hate the chairs too so they are happy I am getting new ones.

I love the ''X'' look on these. They have a clean line to them.

http://www.target.com/Antique-Black-Dining-Chairs-Set/dp/B0002TG1L6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=black%20chair&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Antique%20Black%20Dining%20Chairs%20Set&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=black%20chair
Oh, good! I like these the best of all and I also think they''ll look good with the table!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results