shape
carat
color
clarity

Would it be feasible to recut a shallow stone?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Stats:
Width: 6.82mm
Length: 6.95mm
Depth: 2.76mm
Table Percentage: 50.60%
Depth Percentage: 40.50%

I imagine in order to have make it an anywhere near ideal or even old cut replica, you'd have to lose a ton of diameter.

What do you think?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have depth right now for a 0.31ct 4.40mm round brilliant.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
DiaGem said:

So for a stone which weighs 0.94, it's pretty much dead for life? No use in recutting it unless willing to lose a substantial amount of diameter? I'm just making sure...

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you find it to be an unattractive diamond? Is there a way you could set it (thinking foil-backing maybe) that would improve its value to you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a pendant would be the best use for it. I wouldn't recut.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so is this still the ebay stone? Cause that one doesn't look over shallow and what not. Seriously. I think the listing is just WRONG. Ask for a return policy and go from there.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, it's a GOG stone. GemAdvisor which computes quality literally says "Very Bad-Poor". The price is relatively right though, I thought that if it's a "workable" stone and had hope, it would be worth purchasing.
But there's no reason to buy a dud if there's no chance of it becoming a swan. Mixed metaphors, I hope I make sense, haha.

ETA, sidebar: Gypsy, you are a phenomenal ebayer! Seriously, I'd take lessons from you! :bigsmile:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just saw the stone. Based on the pic they have up, well... I like it! If you're in the market, I'd at least think about trying to get a peak at it in person. But I never would dream of re-cutting, as it appears to be an older cut already (besides the depth issue). I wonder what GOG would imagine for it? My previous idea about foil-backing is interesting to me again...

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
MissStepcut said:
Just saw the stone. Based on the pic they have up, well... I like it! If you're in the market, I'd at least think about trying to get a peak at it in person. But I never would dream of re-cutting, as it appears to be an older cut already (besides the depth issue). I wonder what GOG would imagine for it? My previous idea about foil-backing is interesting to me again...

It's a genuinely cool looking stone and according to GemAdvisor there's no fish eye. But it wouldn't be a brilliant stone, which is why the thought of recutting even entered my mind.

Stats: (scale: 0= very bad, 1.1= very good)
Light return mono: 0.31- Very bad-Poor
Light return stereo: 0.42 - Poor
Dark zone mono: 0.10 - Very bad

Perhaps next time I'm in the GOG area, I'll stop by to see it. Perhaps its surprisingly pretty in an ugly ducking kind of way? :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you honey, but not really feeling like a great ebayer at all. I'm in need of serious refund dust [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-do-i-get-on-a-local-news-channel.166853/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-do-i-get-on-a-local-news-channel.166853/[/URL] on an ebay purchase of my own.

My "skills" come from a research heavy background. That's all.

I think that if it's at GOG and if it was feasible to make it look nice, they would have done already KWIM? I'm thinking it's pretty much a woof-woof.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
wakingdreams53|1318297579|3037427 said:
Oh no, it's a GOG stone. GemAdvisor which computes quality literally says "Very Bad-Poor". The price is relatively right though, I thought that if it's a "workable" stone and had hope, it would be worth purchasing.
But there's no reason to buy a dud if there's no chance of it becoming a swan. Mixed metaphors, I hope I make sense, haha.

ETA, sidebar: Gypsy, you are a phenomenal ebayer! Seriously, I'd take lessons from you! :bigsmile:
Call and set up an appointment to talk to Jon about it. He will be honest with you about it.
He will also know if there is any potential improvement by re-cutting there.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Great advice, Karl. Thank you! I just wanted to see what PSers would say before making any steps in that direction.

Gypsy, I'm so sorry about that situation. I've been following your posts and it's dreadfully disappointing. I'm sure ebay will get you your money back. I filed a claim with Paypal and when the seller didn't reply after 2 weeks, Paypal automatically issued the refund. Perhaps that's what the sellers were meaning to do? I hope it works out well for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results