shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth getting or not?

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
I've been stalking a couple items on ebay. I'd love thoughts on both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-PLAT-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-Twin-Ring-1-82CT-/220726054249?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item33644c4d69

http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-ANTIQUE-14K-GOLD-1-2-50-CARAT-DIAMOND-RING-/390103314581?pt=Vintage_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item5ad3f83095

I think they are both a bit on the pricey side. But, I'm not sure. I LOVE the first ring. Second ring would become a rose gold bezeled necklace, I think. But, I also like it as is.

Thanks!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The first one, I don't like the mix of patterning on the two diamonds. One looks like a transitional with a large table, small culet, and less chunky faceting due to longer LGFs. The other is classic OEC with tiny table, chunky facets, large culet. I might like them separate but in the same ring right next to each other? Eh. It would bother *me* anyway. My guess is the OEC was an older stone reset into the bypass setting c.1950s, with the TC being probably of that time period and original to the setting.

The performance of TCs and OECs is pretty different usually too- TCs often look like little flashlights, very efficient at white light return but low on fire. OECs are like the polar opposite. And it can be a *noticeable* difference, one that catches your eye even if you're not really looking for it. (As the former owner of both cuts!) Not a hard and fast rule, but both those stones look like kinda classic examples of those cuts.

The color appears M-ish to met in the pics they posted- I would be shocked if they were really as white as advertised though. Can't tell much about how well cut they are.

The price... I'm a bit behind on prices I am kinda thinking. My first thought was that it was a bit high. But with how expensive diamonds and precious metals are... well, it might not be that high really. The fact that it is PT is good at least.

The second piece looks like an earlier OEC, with some OMC characteristics but not enough to really call it OMC I don't think. The outline is too round IMO. The color, who knows- in yellow gold it could be ANYTHING. The crown is nice and high. The price is higher end of retail, not outragous but not really secondhand-it's-a-great-price sort of deal either. At least IMO.

I personally do not buy any antique pieces with out a return period sans restocking fee. I would pass on ANYTHING that doesn't have a return period, even if its' only a couple days that's OK, as long as you have time to evaluate in person.

I would also make an offer if you pursue either one, and lowball it a little. All they can say is no, right?

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Thanks, LGK. That was super-helpful. I'm wanting to get a TC or OEC, I really like TCs but they seem harder to find. If you've got any good ideas, or find anything good, I'm all ears. This antique thing is new to me!

stci

Ideal_Rock
The first one is to die for!

Nobody can see the diffence between culets ot the 2 diamonds from a natural distance.

Really gorgeous and the price is raisonable! I adore this ring... really...

The second one is a no no. I think I can see carbon point and I don't like the setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results