shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth A GIA Report?

Cking332

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am working with a vendor who has a diamond that has not yet been certified, and is willing to send it to GIA given I put down a 100% refundable deposit.

He's had a gemologist who is GIA certified take a quick look and her rough appraisal is in the attached image. Is it worth my time moving forward with this or should I go another direction?

Thank you!

icm_fullxfull.195373842_34xlgscolq0wg84s4kkc.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, run away. If the stone was high quality they would have had it certified already. Also, those numbers are not good. Too deep, too steep.

Don't bother with this stone any further. We can help you find something much better if you tell us budget, desired size, etc.

Cking332

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! My criteria are below:

To start, I am a budget shopper and unsuccessfully tried to convince the to-be misses on lab diamonds, so I'm trying to piece together the best stone I can based on her criteria and my inner saver. She favors fire and sparkle the most, followed by eye clean, color being less important.

I am open to used stones.

Round
Carat: 1.5+ (ideally 7.3mm+) I would love to get her something larger if possible.
Color: H (Can go I/J if fluorescence balances color)
Clarity: Eye clean is the real criteria here. I have seen SL1's that are eye clean and would happily buy one.
Cut: Very Good+
Prefer GIA/AGS Certificates

Budget without setting: $8,000, but willing to stretch to $10,000 on the right deal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! My criteria are below:

To start, I am a budget shopper and unsuccessfully tried to convince the to-be misses on lab diamonds, so I'm trying to piece together the best stone I can based on her criteria and my inner saver. She favors fire and sparkle the most, followed by eye clean, color being less important.

I am open to used stones.

Round
Carat: 1.5+ (ideally 7.3mm+) I would love to get her something larger if possible.
Color: H (Can go I/J if fluorescence balances color)
Clarity: Eye clean is the real criteria here. I have seen SL1's that are eye clean and would happily buy one.
Cut: Very Good+
Prefer GIA/AGS Certificates

Budget without setting: $8,000, but willing to stretch to $10,000 on the right deal.

8K will be almost impossible for a really high quality cut in H color (unfortunately).

Here's a super ideal cut stone from one of the most respected vendors on this board, whiteflash. It's a J color, but will face up whiter than most Js because of the cut. It's under 10K, but over 8K.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4066984.htm?source=pricescope

I love this one as well. Another J color, but ideal cut.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-5245073

Some other options that aren't ideal cut, but look promising, and give more size/higher color:
I color:
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....Cut-Round-Diamond/D43023885?&refer=pricescope

1.65, so more size. Not exactly in the typical parameters that we normally recommend, but the HCA score (to check how angles work together) is under 2, which means it has potential.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/122382...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Cking332

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much!

What are your thoughts on this report? Diamond is in the ~$8,000 range.

gia report.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!

What are your thoughts on this report? Diamond is in the ~$8,000 range.

gia report.png
Definitely has potential! Can you request an ASET or IS image? And have you seen a video or pic of the stone?

Cking332

Rough_Rock
I am awaiting all photos/videos the vendor has. I will share once they arrive! Thank you so much again!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see you're getting great advice.....but a few general information points about the initial question come to mind- which are common red flags for all consumers:
1) GIA does not "certify" gemologists. The implication is that somehow the opinion of such a gemologist is backed up by GIA. It's an independent opinion. We have seen this tactic used countless times.
2) Dealers will generally not offer a stone of this caliber without GIA. Pretty much anytime a dealer shows me a stone above say....3/4ct in a desirable color and clarity, it's got a GIA ( or AGSL) report. Call me a skeptic but my assumption, if there's no GIA, is that the seller already submitted, and was unhappy for some reason, so they offer the stone sans report.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you were considering a CVD stone I was wondering if you heard about another way to get real cheap diamonds (natural ones!) They arecalled Clarity Enhanced diamonds (or fracture filled). We bought our er rock that is enhanced and we are sooo pleased, it shines all the time and places and we get many compliments. They give a lifetime guarantee for the process by the way.
Read all about this enhancement process at their website HERE
They also have a clarity enhanced diamond search on that page.

Good luck in you hunt
I would strongly disagree with this advice. Clarity enhanced stones are almost always an aboslute nightmare. I would recommend lab diamonds, moissanite, etc, before them, because people have had such negative experiences.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m with David above. The first question that jumps to my mind is why this isn’t already papered. They should send this in no matter what you say, deposit or not. If you don’t buy it, it will help them with the next customer.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results