shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst proposal ever?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cRaSh

Shiny_Rock
I think I have it. LOL

My then boyfriend and I had talked about getting married. He would torment me by looking at rings, but wouldn''t committ. One evening we were painting in the new house, so I looked a mess, paint clothes, etc. Some how the subject came up, and we ended up arguing about it. I asked him to stop looking at rings when we were out because I was expecting an engagement. He said we needed to go get groceries. I didn''t bother to change clothes thinking we were only going for food. Next thing I know we are standing at a jewelry counter. He said he wasn''t leaving without a ring. I told him I didn''t want to do it this way. I showed him a few that I liked for future reference. He ended up buying one of them, and just gave it to me there.
20.gif

He said he would propose properly once the ring was back from being sized, but he didn''t.
38.gif

KissyKissy

Rough_Rock
I think my dad''s proposal wins for the worst. He was sitting next to my mom on the couch during the evening news and said, "So....uh.....you wanna?" He doesn''t even remember doing it but she sure does!!!!

hannah

Rough_Rock
Way, way, way back in highschool, my gym teacher got engaged. She said that her and her boyfriend were driving back from a ski trip, and were having a huge argument. In the middle of the fight, while he was driving the car, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring box....then threw it at her. He didn''t even propose because he was so mad about the fight they were having.

(She made him pull over. They made up. From what I hear, they''re happily married).

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I heard about a guy who arranged to take his GF for a small plane ride over a corn field, where he''d had "Will You Marry Me, ****" pressed into the corn field, and her family down below.. Well, the plane got rocky and crashed (they broke a few bones, but were okay) and he lost the ring!! Poor couple!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
heard of a guy in college who him and his girlfriend were expecting. one random day he drove her to a jewlery store. she waited in the car. he came back and handed it to her right there in the car in front of the jewlery store.

a friend of mine was with her now husband. they were stopped at a red light and he pulled the ring out and asked her. she said yes and they kissed. the light turned green in the middle of it and the people behind them were angrily honking at them to get going!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 9:00:58 PM
Author: KissyKissy
I think my dad''s proposal wins for the worst. He was sitting next to my mom on the couch during the evening news and said, ''So....uh.....you wanna?'' He doesn''t even remember doing it but she sure does!!!!

That is bad! and in my house it means something COMPLETELY different!
11.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
One of my friends got her proposal in the car. She''d just spent a semester abroad and her boyfriend really hadn''t wanted her to go. When she got back, he picked her up at the airport. Serious romantic proposal potential here... but no. They were driving on the highway and he said "hey, can you get the map out of the glove compartment? I can''t remember what exit...." So she opened the glove box and got the map. He yelled at her, leaned over her WHILE DRIVING, and grabbed the ring box that had closed. He''d intended for it to be open and right there when she opened the box but it had shifted to the side and snapped shut. It might have been beautiful but his anger in not having it go right is what really stuck in all our minds.

yeah, they''re divorced now.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Worst proposal was the way my ex husband proposed to me. We were driving down the highway in his truck, and he tells me to look in the glovebox. There never was any kind of question involved. I''ve already told David when the time comes, I DON''T want it to be in a vehicle....lol

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 12:39:02 PM
Author: AmberWaves
I heard about a guy who arranged to take his GF for a small plane ride over a corn field, where he''d had ''Will You Marry Me, ****'' pressed into the corn field, and her family down below.. Well, the plane got rocky and crashed (they broke a few bones, but were okay) and he lost the ring!! Poor couple!

Those two are from my town. I believe they are doing fairly well now despite all the unusual engagement festivities.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend''s parents: He wanted her to move in with him, and she didn''t want to until they got married. She said to him, "I''ll move in with you, but in 6 months if we aren''t engaged or married I''m moving out." 6 months came around and they weren''t engaged... She says to him, "Well, it''s been 6 months..." "He says, I guess we should get married then." And that was that!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps not THEE worst, but not good in my mind...I was engaged prior to meeting my perfect, amazing wonderful hubby to a total lout. I have movie rules, you don''t talk AT ALL during the show, so we went to the movies and he whispered "I know you don''t like talking in movies, but will you marry me?" into my ear five minutes into a Sean Connery movie (he''s a recluse that befriends the smart hoodlum, I can''t remember the name of it...) while handing me the ring. It was just so corny and awful. His parents were waiting at home for us with a bottle of champagne. They were so sweet. Thank goodness I figured out that he had nothing in common with them before walking down the aisle to a life of misery.

tdiggity

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 12:52:55 AM
Author: hannah
Way, way, way back in highschool, my gym teacher got engaged. She said that her and her boyfriend were driving back from a ski trip, and were having a huge argument. In the middle of the fight, while he was driving the car, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring box....then threw it at her. He didn''t even propose because he was so mad about the fight they were having.

(She made him pull over. They made up. From what I hear, they''re happily married).

That should go to show you ladies to be careful how you treat your man! My old roommate almost changed his mind after his now wife started yelling at him about how he hasn''t proposed yet. He had the ring and a plan already in place. I actually told him to wait for a while longer...we were both so pissed about it! But it all turned out for the best.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
this is sad and terrible and happened to someone i know. guy with cancer and not long to live was on phone with his attorney and yelled into the other room to his girlfriend of several years "do you want to go to the courthouse this afternoon and get married?" (for tax /estate planning purposes)

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
One of the least romantic proposals I know of was my parents''. My parents had been dating for five years and my mom finally got to thinking, "if I don''t ask him to marry me, it''s never going to happen". So, she proposed. Actually, it was more of an ultimatum: I''ll give you one month to decide whether you want to marry me. If you don''t want to get married, I''m gone. If you do want to get married, we better start planning. So, 30 days later (yes, he took the whole month to reply) my dad agreed to marry my mom.

LuckyLady

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I started this thread cause I heard what I thought was the worst proposal ever, but no one responded and I was new and afraid it was inappropriate!

Here is what it was:

A friend told me this story about her really good friend, so I know it''s true:

Couple lived together and had a dog. They took turns cleaning the poop out of the doghouse (i.e., he did it M-W-F, she did it T-Th-Sat). So the guy yells to his girl that it was her turn to clean up the poop. And yes, he left the little ring box right on top of the poop!!!!!

To this day he doesn''t understand why girls die laughing and think it''s the worst story- because, as he says, well she said she wanted it to be a surprise. Umm, yeah!!!

Can you imagine having to tell everyone that story?????

Although it is sweet that he meant well...

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! That''s just one of those stories that you feel bad laughing at but you just can''t help it. The poor girl!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
LOL at the poop story. That''s disgusting! Ick. But funny tho.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents always say they got engaged on Thanksgiving, but that''s not exactly what happened. They had the ring, I think the stone was from my mom''s family and my dad got the setting. So he has the ring, and he is invited to thanksgiving to my mother''s family, and there is enough hints, etc that people knew something was going to happen.
So it''s the beginning of dinner, my Dad still hasn''t done anything so my grandfather suggests he do the toast. So my Dad stands up, holds up his champagne glass and says, "To *** (my mom''s name)", big pause, and then sits down. Everyone repeats it, kind of confused, and the meal goes on. Mom and Dad meet after dinner is over and my mom asks what is going on, and he confesses he can''t go through with it, he doesn''t want to get married. Lots of tears, etc, and they make a date later that week to meet so she can get the stone back, etc. At the meeting they make up and she comes home wearing the ring, but at that point everyone in her family heard the news they had broken up so noone noticed!

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
wow, I thought that I have heard about some bad proposals but these really are terribly.

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
wow, I thought that I have heard about some bad proposals but these really are terribly.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 5:07:00 PM
Author: sumbride
Date: 9/12/2006 9:00:58 PM

Author: KissyKissy

I think my dad''s proposal wins for the worst. He was sitting next to my mom on the couch during the evening news and said, ''So....uh.....you wanna?'' He doesn''t even remember doing it but she sure does!!!!

That is bad! and in my house it means something COMPLETELY different!
11.gif

OK, during the evening news is bad, and the words can be construed in many many ways, but it reminds me of how Richard Gere''s character proposed to his first wife in Runaway Bride! Totally real.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
The Capt''s father and stepmother are in the running for this.

My dad is kind of absent-minded and utterly clueless about certain things, though he means well. As my stepmother tells the story, they were having some discussion over the phone, and at some point my father starts going on about various things they''ll do after they get married... and after a certain point, she stops him and asks, "Did you just propose to me?" He replies,"Um, well, I guess so."
23.gif
I think he just forgot he hadn''t asked her yet.

She made it do it again the right way, the next time they got together.
20.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I have a *good* one. My friend''s EX husband proposed to her with the ring SHE bought. The understanding was that if she wanted it, she could pay for it. He just pulled it out of the nightstand and said, "Here. You can wear it now." They divorced a few years later. He was cheating on her while she was 5 months pregnant and on bed rest with the child they tried for 2 years to become pregnant with and ultimately used fertility durgs to conceive. Ahhhhh, romance at it''s finest. Moral of the story...Put some effort into it guys!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results