shape
carat
color
clarity

workout routine change

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I''ve never ventured over to this area of the pricescope forums but I find a sudden need for feedback in this area.
Quick backstory: DH and I usually go for a run in the evening after work. He was really excited when I started running with him and as I improved my endurance I''ve enjoyed the time we get to spend together. However, I really hate running.
Lately, DH has complained that my endurance has plateaued and I finally admitted I''m just not interested in running any further or faster.
What I would really like to incorporate some HIIT (high-intensity interval training) into the routine. My attempts at this have been met with some strong resistance. What I''ve tried to do is interval sprinting and it invokes the response after a few intervals of, "Ok, now let''s go run"
40.gif

I''ve tried working out independently and then going for the usual run, but my attempts at this have proved that I''m too pooped to make it very far. And when I decline to go run with DH he reacts as if I''m doing something wrong. I think in part because our routine has also become a way for us to spend time together without distraction. Something that sprinting or high-intensity, breathing takes priority over chatting exercise doesn''t lend itself to.

Anyone dealt with this before? How did you handle it?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 2:21:18 PM
Author:annadragon
I've never ventured over to this area of the pricescope forums but I find a sudden need for feedback in this area.
Quick backstory: DH and I usually go for a run in the evening after work. He was really excited when I started running with him and as I improved my endurance I've enjoyed the time we get to spend together. However, I really hate running.
Lately, DH has complained that my endurance has plateaued and I finally admitted I'm just not interested in running any further or faster.
What I would really like to incorporate some HIIT (high-intensity interval training) into the routine. My attempts at this have been met with some strong resistance. What I've tried to do is interval sprinting and it invokes the response after a few intervals of, 'Ok, now let's go run'
40.gif

I've tried working out independently and then going for the usual run, but my attempts at this have proved that I'm too pooped to make it very far. And when I decline to go run with DH he reacts as if I'm doing something wrong. I think in part because our routine has also become a way for us to spend time together without distraction. Something that sprinting or high-intensity, breathing takes priority over chatting exercise doesn't lend itself to.

Anyone dealt with this before? How did you handle it?
Well could you do intervals at the end or tell your hubby you want certains days where you just do intervals? Could you throw some sprints in and then sprint back to him while jogging? It sounds like it is something you will need to do on your own since your hubby doesn't sound interested in it. Intervals are awesome; hopefully you can figure out a way to work them in.

eta: my hubby doesn't enjoy walking as much as I do so he will walk with me part of the walk and then I will walk longer. Also same goes for him; I will not bike he crazy long bike rides but we compromise or do things on our own. it is fun working out together

tlh

Ideal_Rock
my hubs and I run together... sometimes.. on the long runs where I don''t want to push myself. My hubs and I get lots of quality time together OUTSIDE of running, so it is a bit different. I ENJOY running. HE HATES IT. So we do different workouts seperately. I do my fartleks, sprint workouts, tempos, hills, and long runs. If we do run together. It is the long runs... and only when I''m feeling lazy - where I don''t want to push myself as hard.

Everyone has their own unique running philosphy... some are loaners, some are pack runners. Pack runners tend to be a bit more chatty. I am just a chatter box, so I know I''m not getting a good workout if I have a pack - which is why I chose to run solo.

Perhaps you can find another activity to do together outside of running- and just let him have his runs. My husband and I do all sorts of workouts together other than running, swimming - yoga, workout dvds- strength training... maybe there is another area you and your hubs can still get physical- but BOTH enjoy it...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would join my local running club, and then find a different activity you two can do together.
Do you have roller blades? Bicycles? A dog to walk and run with?

There are multiple running clubs per town in my area, I bet you could find one that fits your needs on meetup.com or some other such site.

I can relate to your situation. DH and I love to lift together. It's easy for us to do because we do the same basic lifting routine just with very different weights, so our individual workouts really suit our needs. We just are not compatible when it comes to doing cardio exercise together--I love to rollerskate or blade, he hates it. He loves to run, I'm not a big fan and I can't keep up with him. We both love to bicycle, but I prefer street cycling and he prefers mountain biking. I love to take spinning classes, he hates them. I love to jump rope, he can't do it for very long before he tires out. In the gym we can do machines together, but we both hate doing cardio machines, anyway, so we don't use them much.

SO, we just lift together three times a week and we pretty much do cardio on our own three times a week. Unless it's running with the dog, which we both like to do very much. The only problem there: she outruns and outlasts the both of us.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results