shape
carat
color
clarity

Working out at home vs. the gym

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re trying to decide between buying an elliptical machine or actually going to the gym (which we belong to but haven''t to in a long time). If you were thinking of buying home equipment or using the gym, what did you decide and how did you make that decision?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I had a treadmill for a long time and never ever used it. It was boring, loud, and there was no motivation for me to stay on it for more than 10 minutes. If I go to the gym, there are many machines to choose from, I can switch around, and the other people around make me feel like I should take it more seriously. So that was my reasoning and why I chose to ditch it in favor of a gym membership!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2007 6:37:07 PM
Author:zoebartlett
We''re trying to decide between buying an elliptical machine or actually going to the gym (which we belong to but haven''t to in a long time). If you were thinking of buying home equipment or using the gym, what did you decide and how did you make that decision?

Most important question: how big is your home?

If you''re living in something like a small apartment or condo which would require you to keep the machine in either your LR, BR, or home office, don''t do it. It WILL fall by the wayside relatively shortly and be a guilt-inducing eyesore for a long time.

If you have a spacious home and a pleasant area you can dedicate to a home gym, you''re more likely to use it and return back to it time and again. I don''t know why this is true for cardio machines, but it is.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I have a gym quality elliptical and I love it! But its big and takes up a lot of space. We have a rumpus room which is huge and thats where it lives. I use it everyday and its so handy just to be able to roll out of bed and use it early in the morning. Suits me very well.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fleur-de-lis, we live in a condo that''s 1015 sq. ft. We''d put the machine in our spare bedroom. We got rid of the clutter in the room, so now we have space for it. It''s not a huge room but it would work. We aren''t looking at the gym-quality ellipticals --we''re considering a more basic model that is a little smaller and less bulky. It''s a nice room and I don''t mind hanging out in there (now that we''ve decluttered
1.gif
).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, here are my 2 cents. I would join a gym for a little while and see if you will actually be faithful to the elliptical, if you aren't then I doubt you would be at home. My sweet momma has several pieces of exercise equipment that she never uses. She thought she would but the equipment now has clothes hanging on it. How about good old fashion walking? I love walking!
3.gif
My cousin does Curves and loves it because it is only woman; maybe try joining a womans gym. Happy exercising; I really love it and it totally keeps me sane and best of all it makes me feel good about myself on the outside and inside(healthwise).
28.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi SKippy,

We have a gym membership but it's been forever since we've actually gone. Why then, do you ask, are you looking at spending money for a piece of equipment when you don't go to the gym? Well, good question but here's my theory: half the battle is just getting to the gym, right? If we had equipment at home, I'd already be at the gym and could use it whenever I want. I don't have to worry about bringing a change of clothes or showering at the gym (for some reason, this kind of creeps me out). I know that so many gym apparati become second closets to many, but I don't see this happening. I like the idea of exercising in my own home, and I really think I'd get a lot of use out of something at home. They are pricey though, so I'll definitely think about it.

ETA: I have used an elliptical before. I also like using the arc trainer at the gym and the treadmill (although the treadmill isn't my favorite). I've been to Curves but actually, that type of rotation work out doesn't do it for me. You'll laugh maybe but when I did go, I always felt like I was in a race with the music. Whenever the lady on the tape said "it's now time to switch" (or whatever she says), I'd get flustered and feel like I was playing musical chairs. Also, because of my height, I always have to adjust everything after someone else uses it and I found myself spending too much time getting the settings right and not enough time actually working out.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there Zoe!

We have an elliptical in our basement and I really like it and I actually use it!

We have a little cheapie tv down there too - so I watch tv while I ellipticize! I do not love exercising, so being able to watch some tv while I do it definitely helps. Generally I watch really trashy tv while I do it...like maury povich...Plus, we put our VCR down there, so sometimes I''ll watch an old movie while I''m exercising.

Plus, it is nice that I can just run down there after work - looking like a total shlub, because no one sees me but my FI (he''ll be my hubby in exactly two weeks...EEEK!!!!!) and my dogs!

We also got a not gym quality elliptical, and although it isn''t as good as a precor, it does the job just fine.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
If we had the money (and space), I'd definitely want to invest in an elliptical for our home. A big deterrent for me (when I did belong to a gym) was the whole getting there and back thing. I think I went probably eight or nine times per year, tops.

Now I no longer belong to a gym, and took up running. I think one of the reasons it's actually stuck for me is the anytime-anywhere factor. I don't have to tack on however many extra minutes on top of my workout to allow from driving to-and-from a gym, so it's harder for me to make time-related excuses to myself.

Anyway, I'd imagine having a machine in your home will be even more liberating than the running thing has been for me. The only thing limiting my workouts now is knowing every step I take further from home, that's a step I have to take to get back (there's nowhere to "loop" by our place), hence more time, yadda yadda. On your in-home precor, you can push yourself as much as you want without having to think about the "journey back" so to speak.

So, in my long-winded way, I vote for in-home! It really does depend on your workout personality and needs, though. I can see the other side of the argument that some of the other posters presented
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a precor 5.33 ellip with the arms that move, and a Precor tread. I really like them. I also got a cybex arc trainer which is similar to an ellip but less circular of a movement. I usually do 15 minutes on each. I also have some free weights and a large unit with pulleys and a smith machine...it is great too but my trainer helps me as I do not know what to do with it alone.

I have a tv in the gym in my home and I can catch up on tv watching with my dvr, so it works for me. I do not spend time driving and looking for parking and can work out more spur of the moment which suits me. I have some variety, obviously not like in a gym, but I have all I need. I have tons of work out dvds but tend not to use them. In our new home I am making the gym a bit bigger, so I can place things a bit better. Overall though I love having a home gym, esp in bad weather...I can just do it and not be out driving. But some people need the other people to motivate them...you have to know yourself.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I live in a 1400 square foot condo (it''s two bedrooms, so the bedrooms are actually a really big size). We both had gym memberships that were never used and we decided to buy an elliptical...Not top of the line, but nothing too cheap - You can''t go too cheap when buying exercise equipment - just keep that in mind.

We both love our elliptical! It was such a good decision because now, I watch tv while I work out, and i''m finished before the FI even gets home, and then it''s his turn! We''re beyond happy that we purchased a machine instead of renewing our memberships!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

I agree that getting to the gym is half the battle. I''m strictly an at-home exerciser.

My parents put an addition on their house and added an exercise room. They have a treadmill, which my father uses when it''s inclement weather, and a Total Gym, which they bought for me in high school. I didn''t really make much use of it, but my father uses it sometimes.

Let me know what model you buy. I''ve never done an elliptical, but I think it would be good for me to have an at-home option that doesn''t require so much concentration when it''s bad weather for walking.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

I have a treadmill set up in "my" room in our house (my computer, a couch, my arts and crafts crap, etc.) and I love it. I do go through phases when I get bored with the elliptical but then I just go outside to exercise and eventually get over it. I watch my DVR and get in a good workout without ever leaving the house, I totally dig it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is all about what works in your life. I have three pieces to chose from, so I get the variety I need. I can do it whenever I want to, no worrying about driving, traffic, parking, who is on the machine I want, dragging my stuff to the gym, etc. I can watch movies or dvr''d shows or the news and just catch up on stuff, which is nice too. I am actually also contemplating a lap pool indoors in our new house, hubby thought we might want to consider it since the pool use is so seasonal here, but I only would do it if it does not stink inside. I still love the outdoor pool, and would do one, but know I can really only use it for a small portion of the year. I love swimming because I have joint and back pain sometimes, I cannot really run anymore, sometimes I can manage a light jog on my treadmill but that is about it. Bottom line, it is all about what you will do, no equipment is good if it sits there unused, be it in a gym or at home.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the others have made excellent points...i personally am over the gym right now because their equipment isn''t that up to date and i get bored on the machines...i am looking into doing some dance stuff just to have something different to do, and also getting a personal trainer to help bring me to the next level. i might end up taking my grandma''s treadmill which is basically brand new and she never uses it at all...which will be nice to have here so i can walk anytime, and also continue to up my fledgling running skills, i hate running on the machines at the gym because i feel like i look like a spazz case and until i am ''fit for public consumption'' with the running thing, i only do it when i travel in faux-small-gyms where no one is watching hehee.

but in general i do things outside like walking flat, walking hills, and then i also the gym elliptical and treadmills. and i do home workouts to either tapes or the bootcamp that lizziec posted a long time ago, or a kickboxing hodgepodge with abs and jumping jacks and leg work. i just try to be creative. so i am able to get workouts in ''at home'' as well as at the gym.

spacewise though, those machines seem to take up a fair amount of room...we have a 1800 sq ft place and i am like hmm where is this treadmill supposed to go?!?! so i would be sure that is all squared away and it''s in a space that won''t drive you nuts if you do buy one. also i''d check out craigslist to see if you can get any deals on lightly used ones that people might have to sell.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m probably in the minority here, but I''d much rather work out at home than at the gym. I have a treadmill and I use it a lot more than I went to the gym when I had a membership. I don''t like having to add the amount of time to drive to and from the gym and check in, put my stuff in the locker, hope I can find a machine that isn''t in use already, etc.

I bought a good quality treatmill, and I think that was key for me. If you buy home equipment, make sure it''s good or you won''t use it. I also have a tv/DVD so I can catch up on stuff, plus I don''t feel as guilty for wasting time watching TV. I get to pick what I watch instead of what''s available at the gym. I also like that I can wear whatever I want -- I don''t have to have special public work out clothes and if I''m doing laundry I can get on the treatmill while it''s washing/drying. Being around other people working out does not motivate me because I tend to zone out in my own world when I work out.

I think the choice to work out at home or at a gym is a personal one. There are lots of ads in the paper for virtually new equipment people bought and never used, but then there are a lot of people who have bought memberships to gyms and never go....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use our threadmill all the time. We actually bought it used (someone who was moving) which is a good option to try it out (before you sink too much money into one).

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2007 12:28:49 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
We use our threadmill all the time. We actually bought it used (someone who was moving) which is a good option to try it out (before you sink too much money into one).
That''s a really good idea!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks lumpkin. We got it maybe 6 months before our wedding and DH was skeptical about how much I would use it (I was the one who really wanted it). I think we paid $250-$300 and between the both of us (I haven''t used it much since I have been pregnant but he is a runner and uses it when the weather is bad or he wants to run at night) it has been worth it to us. We just looked at the classified ads. I am sure craig''s list would have some too.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... There''s a gym in our building and I use it regularly. I definitely use it more than if I had to get dressed, go to the gym, get re-dressed, work out, shower in public, get dressed AGAIN, head home, etc.

I have done that too when necessary, but I love just getting on teh elevator and going down a few floors, then heading home to change.

Which I guess means I''d say ''Get the elliptical!'' Maybe schedule exercise time when it''s time for your favourite tv show? That will distract you and make the time pass faster. I don''t have a tv at home, so I go to our building''s gym when I know there''s a show on I like and it helps keep me at it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s convenient, Indy, to have a gym right in your building. I just got a call from the gym we belong to and they have either one or two ellipticals to sell (one may be spoken for). I don''t know the model # or the details of the machine itself, although I do know it''s a Lifefitness. I''ve heard that rear fly wheels are better (sturdier, etc.) and perhaps less noisy than front fly wheels. I''m assuming the one my gym is selling is the former. We''re going to take a look at it. I have a feeling it will be too big for the space we have.

As far as price, it''s around $1700-1800. The ones we saw in the Omni Fitness store we went to over the wekend were around $2000-2300.

We''re trying to save for our wedding and honeymoon, so the timing''s not the greatest. I do think it would be so much easier than the process that you described, Indy.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe have you looked in the paper or on craig''s list for a used one? I am sure the one at the gym is good quality but just in case it is already spoken for.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
OMG...I am so embarrassed by my home gym situation.

I have the NICEST gym I''ve ever seen in anyone''s home. 600+ sq. feet of dedicated space. Dance floor, mirrors, treadmill, weights, free weights, TV/cable, sound, 2 gym quality Schwinn Spinning Bikes (my boss let me buy 2 of them for $75 when she got new bikes....they are awesome). Ok...so how often do I work out down there?

ALMOST NEVER! AGGGGhhhhhhh embarrassing!

In my defense, I did work out down there quite a bit before I got pregnant, I like to run on my treadmill, work on class formats for my yoga classes, and put together dance class choreography.

I''ll go run down there real quick & shoot some photos...you guys are going to think I''m an idiot for not using it that often...but part of me LIKES going to the gym and taking classes if I''m not teaching because its social & I can drop my kid off at the kid''s club for a break. I can''t have him in the studio (what I call my room here) when I''m doing weights, treadmill, or bikes because its too dangerous (he can get his finger stuck..he''s only 2.5) so I have to coordinate my workouts while he''s asleep. I do bring him in with me if I''m working on yoga classes or dance classes, he''s got a pretty mean swan dive & downward dog so far....he also likes to imitate mommy working on hip hop or salsa classes.

One thing I will say is that GOOD equipment makes a difference. I bought all mine used on Craigslist (except for the bikes, those I got from the gym I work at--and I taught on them for years, so they are good) and my free weights were still in the plastic. You will be less likely to use crummy equipment. My treadmill was only $100, but I had it serviced by Sears & the tech put on a new belt & it works great. Oh...I got our "mulit-use" weight unit from Costco, but that''s more my dh''s thing....I use free weights at home myself. But its a nice system & easy to use with high quality plates.

Brb with pics...

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Okey dokey...here goes...dont'' mind the firetruck in here...Jake & I were doing yoga the other day. Ok, so I guess I''ve worked out twice in the last 2 weeks in there...I guess I should lighten up on myself, I do push the jog stroller a lot & when I''m not preggo my cardio of choice is running & I usually go with my dog in the neighborhood & leave kiddo home with daddy.

Here is the doorway into it (it''s only accessible from the outside..its a daylight basement configuration...its RIGHT below my bedroom.

P1010802.JPG

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
shot of dance floor (its a special floor with 1 inch of foam padding underneath...I do tap & flamenco as well, so that saves my feet/ankles/knees as well as my floor)

P1010803.JPG

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
same half of the room, just looking other direction...yes, I keep blocks for my son to keep busy with if he''s not in the mood to dance.

P1010804.JPG

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Our equipment....

P1010805.JPG

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I really need to utilize that room more. We spent quite a bit extra to add it on, but I was dancing a lot back when we did the addition on the house (I was with a professional troupe) and I will most likely be dancing more when I am done with the whole business of having babies, because I miss it to DEATH! Its nice to have someplace proper to practice choreography...and when I''m teaching dance classes, its a must.

Everyone always asks if I''m going to teach private yoga in that space, and I probably will once my kids are off in school full time. Who knows. But its such a NICE space....dh does use it about 1x a week, but he too likes the gym. And with a $16/mo ''worldwide all club" membership at 24hr fitness...who can blame him? He''s there right now! LOL.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

We just bought an elliptical from Amazon and FH is on it every day. Me? Well, I'm having a hard time getting motivated, but I'm starting tomorrow morning (promise!). FH loves being able to walk across the hall from our bedroom, hop onto the machine and then into our personal shower after. If you want a link to the model we bought, just let me know!

P.S. Diver, that's a sweet setup you have there! I better not show FH....he'll get the HGSS. Home gym shrinkage syndrome!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that you have to want to do things, and the right environment helps. I love my home gym, and have invested a lot in it, and since it is easy and private and pleasant I use it. I am planning to have a very similar set up in my new home, and I do high drywalled ceilings so it does not feel like a basement. I have my flat tv, I can dvr any show I want to see, or I can rent movies or watch on demand (usually movies hubby has no interest in!) and I feel like I am really accomplishing something. I know if I had to get in the car and fight traffic and bring a change of clothes etc I would be annoyed after a bit. I keep all my gym stuff downstairs, dvds, workout clothing, water, and I have a separate washer dryer for the gym so it is very easy to do the laundry.

Precor patented the fly wheel technology that is the foundation of the elliptical movement, and it is supposed to be the best mechanically, but it really does not matter, if you find something you like. I got tired of paying gym fees and never ever getting to the gym...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results