shape
carat
color
clarity

Work advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
So right now I''m unemployed, I''ve been looking for a job and applying, but I obviously haven''t gotten one. Well now I''m in the position where BF and I will be leaving the state in less than two months for at least one month, but probably a month and a half. I talked to a former employer of mine who I have a wonderful relationship with and asked about a PT position they had open, but I told her about me leaving in 2 months. She discussed it with her boss and they didn''t want to hire me for that amount of time. This was kind of my fall back plan, but now I have to apply to more places.
What I''m wondering is if I apply at other places and they might hire me, should I mention that I''ll be leaving in less than two months? If so, when?

I really want to get a job, but I feel guilty about taking a full time job and only being there for a really short amount of time. I also don''t want it to be held against me for only being there for such a short amount of time.
BF feels that I need to apply anywhere and everywhere, but I want to be able to come back and hopefully apply to some of these places and be able to take a job and not be blacklisted as an employee that doesn''t stick around or something.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Are you leaving permanently in 2 months? If so, I would have trouble not telling that to a full time employer, and I really doubt anyone would bother to hire/train/fill out all the paperwork for someone for that amount of time. If I were you, I''d find a simple retail job for the time being and resume the search after you move (I wouldn''t feel guilty not telling some place like Bed Bath and Beyond - always hiring here- that I''m leaving and then just quitting, they expect high turn over).

If you aren''t leaving permanently, it still might be easier to wait until you are back to look for something permanent.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered temping through an agency? That might be your best option, given your fairly unique timing situation.

I''m not sure what your background is, or what type of work you are looking for, but you can also look for alternative types of work, like pet sitting (if you''re a pet person.) Talk to your vet, see if you can advertise there. Lots of people advertise pet sitting or dog walking services on Craigslist.

Since you''re in a unique situation, I don''t think many employers would be too keen on hiring you for a short period of time, and then essentially give you a month off unpaid, so you might have to think outside the box to find something suitable.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
2nd to BB&B or similar. If you''re in a professional field and do retail for a few months, it''ll be easy enough to omit that employer from your resume.

Also, a temp position is a great option. I''m not sure about the pet sitting, however, as I looked into doing that and there are actual companies in many cities/towns who do this. One "competitor" who services my region has a vet tech degree and is able to administer meds to pets. Many are well-skilled in that field.

Good luck!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Apply at a staffing agency that can get you temp work (maybe reception/administrative?). They often will only hire people who are currently NOT working (don''t need to give notice).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results