carat
color
clarity

Wondering About Recuts.......

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello, all! :wavey:

I'm considering having a stone recut, and don't really know where to begin. I've searched the forum hoping to find a comprehensive thread on the subject, but haven't succeeded in finding one - just snippets of threads mentioning a recut as an option in a particular situation, or threads showing the beautiful results of one, but not containing much info on how to go about it, what to consider, who to consider, etc.

My particular situation is that I am going to set a new stone in my original engagement ring setting. My wedding set was purchased about 14 years ago from a local small jewelry store. Neither my DH nor I knew diddly about diamonds at the time, and ended up paying way too much for an at-best 'meh' center stone. We were much more focused on selecting the setting, which was a compromise choice between his tastes and mine; once it was selected, we just said, "OK. Plop a nice looking 0.50 carat round in there for us - done!" :eek2: So......12 or so reasonably contented years later, I developed an interest (obsession?) in diamonds, rings, jewelry, etc., ended up here, and opened a Pandora's box to seeing things that I can't now un-see! Hence, a new (ideal/superideal) stone will go in the setting, which I'm more sentimentally attached to than the center stone, since the setting is what really represents our joint "venture" in getting the rings. That said, I do have sentimental attachment to the stone, and when I consider selling it, I just can't quite go there, but at the same time, I don't see myself wearing it in another ring as it is when I will constantly be seeing something ideal in my engagement ring setting. I already have studs that I'm quite happy with, as well as pendants with stones about that same size. The stone is exactly 0.50ct, GIA G/VS2, no flour, with a feather and a cloud, but no plot as to where. (I was told by a local jeweler when I had new prongs put on that they were surprised that it wasn't at least a VS1, as they thought the inclusions were so minor.) It has the dubious distinction of being a triple "Good." And it is reeaally spready: diameter 5.18-5.21 x 3.07mm, depth 59.1%, and table 62%. Very 'meh'. Now, I know it will lose weight and size with a recut, but I'm a smaller stone person with small hands and super short, stubby fingers, so if it ends up more like in the 4.5-4.9mm range, I'm totally OK with that, as I have another ring that accommodates that size that I really like as a RH ring, which currently has an almost-equivalently-performing 'meh' stone in it that could be replaced. So......any advice on how to proceed, or if it is a decent/terrible idea to do so, would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general a .50 isn't a good candidate for a recut.
It costs the same as recutting a 1ct and can be a significant portion of the stones value or even more than the stones value after recutting.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general a .50 isn't a good candidate for a recut.
It costs the same as recutting a 1ct and can be a significant portion of the stones value or even more than the stones value after recutting.
Plus don't forget about $150 more for a new lab report.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once asked about recutting 2 stud .50’s and was told no for same reason Karl said

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm. I have nothing intelligent to add about the recut ... just that I’m pretty sure Karl_K and nala are right ...

However, if you still want to check it out, Good Old Gold does H&A recuts ... I can’t seem to remember what other vendors offer the service ... they are out there; maybe someone else will mention them. I have no doubt that they will let you know if it’s worth it or not, based on your set of pluses and minuses.

ETA if it was me in this situation, I am not sure how much I would care about the stone’s value .. and would not get a new lab report. I would consider the recut if someone was willing to do it, and then keep the original stone, albeit smaller and lighter. I would check to see if anyone is willing to do it ... but that’s just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could set it in some type of halo mounting that would add some fire and sparkle to the "meh." Large table + shallow depth to me suggests that it has more brilliance than fire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results