shape
carat
color
clarity

Wizard of Oz Halloween Party!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plantationcatt

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I are having an halloween party...this year with a Wizard of Oz theme! We are SUPER excited, and I''m hoping to poll my wise PS friends for some (cheap!) suggestions...Yall always have such grand imaginations! I keep finding children''s birthday party ideas, but cutesy isn''t really what we''re going for...it''s an adult party! (Gosh, that sounds scandalous!)

So far, after thinking and polling some magazines and websites, and watching the new 70th edition that just came out (Yes, I''m starting to sound like a geek) some ideas that have come to mind are as follows... now, keep in mind that while all this sounds like I have a plan...it doesn''t seem to be materializing in my head, it''s just words on paper.

Music:
The Whiz
The Wizard of Oz
Wicked
The Dark Side of the Moon
Decorating:
Fashion Dorothy''s house from a large appliance box. Then, add witch''s legs with striped tights and place them under the house.
Poster board Munchkins, hidden around house
Lollipops
Cornstalks for scarecrow
Tornados
Coroner’s death certificate sign
Tree faces
Crystal ball
Wizard’s curtain
Balloon
Diploma
Medal
Heart
There’s no place like home sign
Gingham
Hourglass with red sand
Apples
Rainbows
Chalk yellow bricks on walkway up to the door
Door to emerald city: Front Door
Please knock sign: Front Door

Food/Drinks:
Munchkin Mix: Combine eight cups popcorn, three cups pretzel sticks, one cup M&Ms (for "Auntie M"), 1/2 cup animal cookies (especially lions, tigers, and bears — oh my!), and 1/4 cup green gumdrops (for emeralds). Serve in metal funnels (like the Tin Woodman''s hat). (Wish I could give credit to the website I found this on...but I forget).
Swirled rainbow lollipops
Monster of a Cake (pistachio chocolate)
Guacamole & dark chips
Caramel apples
Pumpernickel bread with cheese fondue
Black licorice straws
Crème de menthe brownies
Assorted Halloween Candy
Pumpkin seeds-spicy & sweet
Deviled eggs
Apple Cider

...Also...most importantly...what charachter should I be? I think Dorothy would be too cliche as the hostess, and my Mom is hopefully coming as the Wicked Witch (not because it fits her personality but because she does a spot-on impression)...and my husband who is 6'' and stocky is going to be a member of the lollipop guild (ahahahah).

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don't know, I love the idea until I think I need to dress up as one of the characters instead of what I really want to be for halloween (not to mention buying two costumes).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 3:42:26 PM
Author: heraanderson
I don't know, I love the idea until I think I need to dress up as one of the characters instead of what I really want to be for halloween (not to mention buying two costumes).
Yeah, sorry but I agree. What if someone cannot find or doesn't want to dress as Dorothy (there are not many female options in the movie. . .it's been a long time since I've seen it. . .good witch, bad witch or Dorothy)? lol

That aside, for many party things, it's always good to check out the dollar stores around town for odd-ball filler items. For my son's birthday, I found streamers there for $1.00 opposed to the $3.00 at the party store. Just a thought on how to save when the little things add up
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would totally dress up as a flying monkey.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 4:18:29 PM
Author: Haven
I would totally dress up as a flying monkey.
Ugh, that''s how long it''s been since seeing the Wizard of Oz. I totally forgot about the Flying Monkeys. Once I rented the movie for my kids but they lost interest after a few scenes (they were really young at the time. . .maybe it''s time to try it out on them again
1.gif

plantationcatt

Shiny_Rock
heraanderson & MC, you''re right about the costumes...I don''t want to force anyone to be Toto. We don''t really care what people show up in, so we''ve been saying "Your company is more important than your costume." Of course, there may be a couple of people that won''t come just because they don''t want to stand out in the cop costume. (But only a few, right?) Of course, Oz costumes would be funny just to see what everyone would come as, like Haven as a flying monkey!

MC, dollar stores can have their surprises. I found some cute pumpkin shaped ice cube trays for $1.00 last week. I''ll have to go back again with a "CREATIVE" mindset.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
This was taken from a muppet Wizard of Oz premiere party:

The"Ozmopolitan," was served with a blend of citrus vodka, melon liquor, and sour mix filled with green frog gummy candies."

I think you should take your menu and make it mostly adult and then just add the whimsical touches which will make it more appealing to adults.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Just online looking, but I found these pics at propsforless.com:
I think you have a lot of different ideas, but to avoid being too cute, here are some ideas that look more adult like:

oz cornfield_md.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Are you good at drawing? This looks like tall cardboard and it would be cool to recreate that forest(?) scene.

Oz apple tree_md.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
This could be done with fake flowers and florists foam:

Oz poppyfield_md.jpg

plantationcatt

Shiny_Rock
heraanderson, how did you know I''m a visual person and really needed those pictures? Those trees might be a bit ambitious, but I could definitely do those fake flowers...and that drink sounds tasty. Maybe if I test out the ozmopolitan my trees would turn out more creative, haha!

Thanks so much!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome! Sounds like a fun project on your hands
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results