shape
carat
color
clarity

Wixon fixed my vintage ring!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Back in July, I noticed a loose stone in my 5-stone ring. The ring has also always had a chipped stone, so I went on the hunt for a jeweler that could help with both problems. I first tried a couple PS vendors, but most don't do repairs, so then decided to contact Wixon Jewelers in Bloomington, Minnesota (Minneapolis area). They were willing to take a look and give me some options. They offered to tighten the prongs on the loose diamond for free (!) but I asked about a replacement diamond for the chipped stone, and they were willing to do a search. Initially, they quoted a pretty high price for a replacement 4mm stone, but after I dropped off the ring, they called a few days later to say they were pretty certain they could recut the diamond to remove the chip, without losing much in diameter. I was nervous, but gave the go-ahead. We picked up the ring this weekend and it's perfect! They also assured me the prongs are fine, which was another concern of mine. First up, the before photo. You can see the stone second from the left on the top has a small chip in the girdle. It's right between the top prong at 12 o'clock, and the prong just below that at 10 o'clock.

IMG_2848.JPG

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
And now, she's all fixed up! It was hard for me to tell at first which stone had been recut--I usually wear the ring a certain direction, and I think my initial photo was reversed from how I wear the ring. Pretty sure this is the same orientation as the photo above.

IMG_8420.JPG

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The recut stone is on the right side in these photos, since I wear the ring right side up (engraving inside facing toward me). You can see the stone second in from the right is ever so slightly smaller, but the stones are very slightly graduated in size already, and the curve of the ring also plays into the size difference. It looks really good to me and I'm very pleased with the outcome.

hand shot.jpg
recut stone.jpg
leaf.JPG

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I also tried on a 5 carat emerald cut canary yellow diamond ring. No photos allowed in the store, but definitely a fun place to visit. They have a few vintage/antique pieces that are quite reasonable in terms of pricing. I would highly recommend Wixon for any jewelry repairs or vintage shopping.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh. Your ring is beautiful and your spa treatment and minor surgery looks great. (look so 10 years younger!). I'm in Minnesota. I always want to go check them out.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
@ringo865 They are definitely worth a look! Wished I could take photos of some of their pieces--might have to buy one someday. :bigsmile:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh it's gorgeous!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! So glad that this worked out! Also, this is one of my favorite setting styles for a 5-stone. ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loooovveee iiitt

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful job

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad there were able to fix it...such a pretty ring!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad things worked out, it looks fantastic! Beautiful ring! :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad this worked out for you - your ring is beautiful!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you were able to fix your ring. AND that the prongs are secure. Thanks for the review.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful job! It isn't lovely when you find a local jeweler that you can trust! The band look beautifully and it is impossible to tell that one of the stones was recut!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Wixon is my family's jeweler as well. My mom has a beautiful ring from them and some earrings as well, and now some bangles. My ring is from Wedding Day, but I did Wixon for an appraisal because the diamond was heriloom and Wedding Day didn't include the appraisal with the sale.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
@ringo865 They are definitely worth a look! Wished I could take photos of some of their pieces--might have to buy one someday. :bigsmile:

If you ask, you can take photos! I was eyeing the huge diamond studs in front and they said I could if I wanted, I think they just don't want people trying to take pictures of the security or other things. I think they just want control of what is photographed.

I think my mom looked at these earrings: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHNxEoSBlnw/?taken-by=wixonjewelers

She ended up getting 3 tiny bangles.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results