shape
carat
color
clarity

Wire flower setting idea help

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm toying with the idea of resetting my e-ring. This will be a long, slow process for me.

I have a 1.3 carat OEC in a 3-stone I love, but keep thinking I'd love a colored center stone in the 3-stone, and my diamond in a non-traditional, floral solitaire. I toyed with halos, and it didn't feel "me" when I tried them on.

Then I found this vintage Van Cleef ring on IG - only pics. Love at first sight! But I am having a hard time figuring out how to...make it work. I really do not like small prongs. I like bezels and semi bezels.

• Would this style work with a bezel?
  • I am at a loss for what to do with any other details, other than I want simple and no pave.
  • I love the wire look - how fluid it is. Has anyone seen anything like this that they can share for inspo?
  • Who is the best designer for this? I want this reset to be my last...and would love to do hand forged. Is it taboo to show an existing ring and ask them to make magic with it?

IMG-6450.jpg

IMG-6451.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that is a very unique and interesting design. I am of no help but wondering what the gallery/side profile looks like?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh that is a very unique and interesting design. I am of no help but wondering what the gallery/side profile looks like?

I am dying to know too! I contacted the vendor, they have a blank website and they never replied to my messages :( - if they do reply I will share!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting!
That’s a beautiful inspiration setting. I see the attraction.
how do you feel about tab prongs instead of claw?
Am I oversimplifying it, in thinking it could be a modified dahlia type head?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is lovely! It reminds me a bit of the Bellerina pendant that WF makes, which is a bezel.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting!
That’s a beautiful inspiration setting. I see the attraction.
how do you feel about tab prongs instead of claw?
Am I oversimplifying it, in thinking it could be a modified dahlia type head?

I’ve never had tab prongs - I wonder if they’d be as comfortable? I want a ring that is super comfortable and didn’t like the way claw prongs felt and how they picked up fuzzies

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Slightly the same concept, but no prongs

42B83150-CCBB-4D17-B78A-8CB7FF287EB5.jpeg

Oh interesting- yes I see how that’s similar.

I found this one, but it doesn’t have the “wiry” look and the gap of the inspo, I wonder what’s possible..

394CCC5F-C237-4A8E-9DF1-4B934192B25E.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is lovely! It reminds me a bit of the Bellerina pendant that WF makes, which is a bezel.

Oh that’s very pretty. I like it - it doesn’t quite have that gap between the petals and center stone, but I wonder if that’s just not achievable with a bezel

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not suggesting this setting - but the way the setting is connected to the shank - is interesting and I see where it could be put into what you might be looking for?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Not suggesting this setting - but the way the setting is connected to the shank - is interesting and I see where it could be put into what you might be looking for?

Yes that is an interesting idea! I wonder if that’s doable! I like the flow of it - I wonder if having a “wiry” style all over the ring would be the way to go

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t have anything useful to add but I love this idea and can’t wait to see the final result.

Funny enough, I was a bit inspired by your ring - they aren’t the same style, but I loved your approach to using metal to add some oomph without a halo with more diamonds. I love diamond halos on other people...but I don’t think it’ll work for me.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Oh interesting- yes I see how that’s similar.

I found this one, but it doesn’t have the “wiry” look and the gap of the inspo, I wonder what’s possible..

394CCC5F-C237-4A8E-9DF1-4B934192B25E.png

I wonder if you could find someone who would make this bottom setting for you, but make the petals much larger so that there was room to keep the base of the petal intact as the bezel, but hollow out the inside of the petals for the airyness of your inspiration ring.

I'm not sure where you are located but I think SK recently posted on IG that he's taking custom projects for June? I'm sure there's a way to design a bezel + open petal kind of design. Sounds like it will be beautiful!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if you could find someone who would make this bottom setting for you, but make the petals much larger so that there was room to keep the base of the petal intact as the bezel, but hollow out the inside of the petals for the airyness of your inspiration ring.

I'm not sure where you are located but I think SK recently posted on IG that he's taking custom projects for June? I'm sure there's a way to design a bezel + open petal kind of design. Sounds like it will be beautiful!!

I think you’re right that a designer will have to figure out how to combine the airyness with the bezels. SK might be a good fit!

I might want to marinate on it for a bit longer (I’ve been so rushed with settings in the past and want this to be my “forever setting”) but really appreciate the recommendation! SK seems to do beautiful work!!! Have you worked with him?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This kind of reminds me of a Victor Canera style. Have you seen any of his rings that maybe similar?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This kind of reminds me of a Victor Canera style. Have you seen any of his rings that maybe similar?

Hrmmm...I don't see anything exactly like it...but these are "cousins"

1621447528004.png

1621447550615.png

1621447576000.png

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol. Yes! Do any of them strike your fancy?

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I think you’re right that a designer will have to figure out how to combine the airyness with the bezels. SK might be a good fit!

I might want to marinate on it for a bit longer (I’ve been so rushed with settings in the past and want this to be my “forever setting”) but really appreciate the recommendation! SK seems to do beautiful work!!! Have you worked with him?

I have not -- only thought of him from the reviews of other PSers here! He seems to work with client stones whereas I've read here that VC may or may not work with outside stones. At least when I contacted VC for my cluster ring, he was not accepting custom work with outside stones.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Lol. Yes! Do any of them strike your fancy?

They are all beautiful...I just don't like...prongs. :blackeye: They drive me bonkers.

The middle is too ornate overall.

I think the first is my favorite. If he could like...somehow transform it into a bezely style with petals that come outwards...hah sooo hard to explain! I love that the basket looks like a flower!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have not -- only thought of him from the reviews of other PSers here! He seems to work with client stones whereas I've read here that VC may or may not work with outside stones. At least when I contacted VC for my cluster ring, he was not accepting custom work with outside stones.

Ooohhh good to know about VC. That may end up being a dealbreaker naturally!

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I know it might take some discussion, but really do think you will be able to bring your design to life! These are not exactly what you are looking for, but I feel like these might serve as additional inspiration that a bezel, open petal halo could work!
Add a few petals in your imagination to the clover style band, and imagine the other VC ring on the bottom as a round vs oval, without the melee, and instead as a solid wire with a little more tilt. You could probably bring the petal wire motif down into the gallery as well. I wish I were an artist to try an draw it out for you!
1621448065375.png
1621448095808.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would what you are looking for be a sort of tension setting? If you are looking to avoid prongs that is.

if you are entertaining true hand fabricated - I think the design you are looking at would need to be expected and ok with to not be 100% symmetrical?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I know it might take some discussion, but really do think you will be able to bring your design to life! These are not exactly what you are looking for, but I feel like these might serve as additional inspiration that a bezel, open petal halo could work!
Add a few petals in your imagination to the clover style band, and imagine the other VC ring on the bottom as a round vs oval, without the melee, and instead as a solid wire with a little more tilt. You could probably bring the petal wire motif down into the gallery as well. I wish I were an artist to try an draw it out for you!
1621448065375.png
1621448095808.png

Oh yes these are SO helpful!!! I actually really like the way the wire looks with the full bezel in the clover example. These are getting warmer!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Would what you are looking for be a sort of tension setting? If you are looking to avoid prongs that is.

if you are entertaining true hand fabricated - I think the design you are looking at would need to be expected and ok with to not be 100% symmetrical?

I guess it could be a sort of tension setting, or even a full bezel that petals attach to. That is what I am having a hard time imagining..what is structurally possible.

That is an excellent point RE symmetry. I am okay with asymmetry, actually. I didn't even think about that though. I am wondering if all of the VCs rings are handforged? They look so perfect...

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
1621448065375.png
1621448095808.png

Where is that clover band from if you don't mind?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Woah got photos of the original - it’s...very weird haha! Not what I was expecting and I’d definitely want to do something different. Boy the stone is gorgeous though! Almost 5 carats!

D7D70BEB-5803-42E2-B571-0E673DCC6B14.jpeg

Attachments

• 06584A7A-F6A1-450E-9B92-9F18374942D6.jpeg
    06584A7A-F6A1-450E-9B92-9F18374942D6.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 18
  • ECCCE933-68A3-4938-96C8-D62E30126031.jpeg
    ECCCE933-68A3-4938-96C8-D62E30126031.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 20
  • BA9FDF15-6C8B-4505-BDBF-FAF3E7B73470.jpeg
    BA9FDF15-6C8B-4505-BDBF-FAF3E7B73470.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 19
  • E3DA4121-30FE-4BAF-8DB9-20B8B8D3F28D.jpeg
    E3DA4121-30FE-4BAF-8DB9-20B8B8D3F28D.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 17

mjea

Shiny_Rock

Ohh a tension petal setting sounds so cool -- like the diamond is floating inside!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results