shape
carat
color
clarity

"Windmill" in Asscher - good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jodi

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at what I think is a gorgeous stone - generic asscher or square emerald, whatever you want to call it. It''s 3.30 carats HVS1 - and it''s got an obvious windmill in it, which I think is lovely. I ordered this stone in and have it on hold for the next few days. Today, a jewelry store I was looking at settings in mentioned that the windmill effect is a result of a bad cut, too deep. But I don''t know if they''re fibbing because they''d rather sell me their stone - an asscher without much of a windmill - which is less carat weight, more expensive but without the windmill. Does anyone have opinions on this?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no? so, who''s to say if the windmill look is good or bad, it''s a personal decision. i like the windmill look
3.gif
and would choose an asscher with a windmill over one without. i think it gives the stone some nice character. it sounds like you prefer this look as well....i say trust your own eyes.
2.gif
best of luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Asschers are *supposed* to be deep and that windmill is an integral part of a nice asscher. OTOH, if you''re really looking for something that''s more of the emerald cut then you can do a more shallow stone without the windmill.

Geez. Some jewelers...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree I actually prefer the windmill in asschers.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hmm, i thought the windmill look was the whole idea with asschers... sounds like you should probably avoid the jeweler who told you this is a bad thing.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like the look of the windmill in asschers! I say go for it!!
3.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, they just want you to buy from them. An asscher is *supposed* to have that windmill look! Otherwise it would be perhaps lovely, perhaps sparkly, but just a square emerald, and not even maybe a generic asscher. Jeesh! Go with your gut one way or the other. The stone you describe sounds HEAVENLY!!!

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
From all the research I did on Asschers before deciding on a Radiant, they are supposed to have windmills and the size of them is subjective to your preference. It sounds like someone is trying to sell you an emerald!

Jodi

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the replys. My husband and I just got back from the mall, Mother''s Day shopping, and after talking with a few more jewelers, we were even more confused about the stone - nobody seems to carry them or know much about them, and all think they''re just square emeralds - and shouldn''t have a windmill. We were kinda bummed.

So, tonight, to come home and see all this encouragement about the stone we really like...and then, to look on the Royal Asscher site and see their stones ALL sporting windmills, I feel TONS better about this stone. Thanks to everybody for your input. I love Pricescope - it''s the only place I know where people are so involved with your diamond purchase, so available to help. THANKS for all the opinions!!

Blessings,
Jodi

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Jodi,
I am so glad you feel better, that''s why we are here!!! Sounds like you''re off to a good start to find a wonderful asscher!!! I just love them windmills and all!!!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanna see this big 3c asscher! Please post pictures if you purchase..it sounds lovely!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2005 5:51:15 PM
Author:Jodi

Today, a jewelry store I was looking at settings in mentioned that the windmill effect is a result of a bad cut, too deep; But I don''t know if they''re fibbing ...
I think they are. "Windmill" is not exactly a very popular and definitely not a technical term. My guess is they didn''t know for sure what you are talking about - no matter what you would have said, chances are it would have been discredited so that you come to rely on them for the right answer. More rhetoric than diamond knowledge
7.gif

... just my intuition. That "windmill" thing can appear very well in a shallow cut if the corner breaks are large. I have no idea what they were talking about.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have been given exellent advice in this thread!

A diamond called an asscher that doesnt have windmills is not an asscher.

How big the windmills are is a matter of taste but they should be odvious in all of them.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-about-asschers.24689/

That thread has some info about asschers and patterns and there are several others if you do a search for asscher here they will show up.

I second the call for pictures!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I referenced Cervantes, but could find nothing on diamonds....OKOK dumb joke....but if you look down a couple of threads to "Radiant Advice needed" you''ll find some neat technical pics of Asshers, Windmill''s and all.

Happy searching!

Cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results