shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you take a Covid 19 shot as soon as it is available?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Lol, I've never seen Shakespeare's head, but a little town in the mountains has Frozen Dead Guy Days.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL @Demon, I have to look this up, who comes up with this stuff?!

We have a few houses in our town that put their political views on multiple large signs across their lawns. The people who put up "Don't Hate Make America Great" got their signs ripped up and scattered across the lawn. Everyone around here has an opinion for sure.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, absolutely. I can almost guarantee though, that Canada won't approve one before the US does, so we'll likely have to wait longer here.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
LOL @Demon, I have to look this up, who comes up with this stuff?!

We have a few houses in our town that put their political views on multiple large signs across their lawns. The people who put up "Don't Hate Make America Great" got their signs ripped up and scattered across the lawn. Everyone around here has an opinion for sure.

Well this guy's grandfather died, and they wanted to have him frozen so he could be brought back to life when they have the technology (as if), and so the grandfather was kept in a tuff shed on ice and they started celebrating it every year. People are nuts.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've no clue what this means?
Help please.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.22.51 PM.png

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd think about it if the Aussie government approved it but even then I'd wait a year to see if everyone else was growing two heads before I get it myself.

Only shots I've ever had are the Hepatitis shots (when I was a child), the MMR shot (when I was considering having kids) and the whooping cough shot (when I had a newborn).

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada OK the mannequin is up there with clowns for the creepiness factor! :eek2: Apologies to any clowns out there! :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
yip ill get it
we get the flu shot manually adter the OH got pneumonia one year with the flu
not fun
Gary has risk factors so im sure we will both get it

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will evaluate the risk vs benefit at the time the vaccine is offered. I cannot say with certainty what I will do in the future because there are many variables to consider. Most likely once it is out and I feel proven safe I will get it. But I won't be rushing to get it immediately. I still remember what happened with the H1N1 "fast tracked" vaccine. Thankful I never got that vaccine.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will evaluate the risk vs benefit at the time the vaccine is offered. I cannot say with certainty what I will do in the future because there are many variables to consider. Most likely once it is out and I feel proven safe I will get it. But I won't be rushing to get it immediately. I still remember what happened with the H1N1 "fast tracked" vaccine. Thankful I never got that vaccine.
Missy, I'm with you on this one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once it gets here i would think it would have been thoughrly tested
ill be in the line

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds from responses so far that a vaccine could almost make life more difficult to manage. I assume governments would take the view that society could open up as normal if a vaccine was available to the general population, but if significant numbers of people wouldn’t be happy to have it at first, then re-opening life fully could cause a massive corona spike if enough people assume that others are vaccinated and provide herd immunity but uptake rates are too low to actually achieve that.

I assume the original question relates to a fully approved and tested vaccine, albeit a rushed process, and not whether people would take a trial vaccine. I know approved drugs can still have unexpected side effects (thalidomide for example), but I *think* I’d take the view that it was safe if approved for general distribution.

It’s a tricky one: we’ve all been told to stay at home for the greater good, and taking a vaccine would also be for the greater good (to achieve herd immunity and protect society as a whole), so if it’s been deemed safe is it not just the other side of the same coin? Someone has to jump first and take it. Playing devil’s advocate with the last part - I genuinely don’t know what I feel is right: my head says everyone should have the vaccine for the good of all, my heart says I’m not sure I want my children injected with a rushed treatment until it’s more established. But if everyone takes my heart’s view, then there’s no benefit in a vaccine, and social distancing/no contact/virtual schooling becomes life for ever now. It would also need admitting deep down that I’d be happy for other people to be guinea pigs, which equally doesn’t fit with the ‘for the greater good of society’ approach we’ve been taking with the pandemic.

Last edited:
Once it’s approved for general distribution, I will get it. I’m not personally concerned for myself, but I do come in contact with both young children and older people in my daily life and I don’t want to ever put someone at risk. It’s the same reason that I haven’t left my house for social reasons since March.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will get it ASAP. I’m immunocompromised and sick of being confined. The Moderna and the Johnson and Johnson look most promising so far.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It concerns me that there is a possibility of a two-tier society being created - those who've had a vaccine and are 'safe', and those who have not / cannot / will not have it, who are viewed by 'society' as apparently too dangerous to allow inside their building (for food, leisure services, music, whatever).

We should be assumed to be innocent until proven guilty, as we have fought hard for through the centuries, but a 'health passport' reverses that position by creating the situation where if you can't prove your 'innocence', you are presumed 'guilty'.

It concerns me that there is a possibility of a two-tier society being created - those who've had a vaccine and are 'safe', and those who have not / cannot / will not have it, who are viewed by 'society' as apparently too dangerous to allow inside their building (for food, leisure services, music, whatever).

We should be assumed to be innocent until proven guilty, as we have fought hard for through the centuries, but a 'health passport' reverses that position by creating the situation where if you can't prove your 'innocence', you are presumed 'guilty'.

Unfortunately, when it comes to a vicious virus with a long incubation period and a chance of a carrier being both infectious and asymptomatic, the risks an individual poses to society by choosing to be unvaccinated are too high to ignore, especially since individuals who cannot be vaccinated (due to allergies or because they’re immunocompromised, for example) are precisely also the ones who may be the worst affected by the virus. The morally right thing to do is to get the vaccine if you’re physically able to do so in order to protect those who physically cannot, in my opinion. If your fears are around the safety of the vaccine, it will be rolled out in a phased manner anyway, and unless you’re an “at-risk” population (E.g. front line workers) you will probably have to wait a few months anyway, so there will be enough data around safety by the time you have a chance to get it. If you’re one of those people who cannot get the vaccine for medical reasons, then you should hope that everyone around you does get the vaccine so that you’re protected as well. If you choose not to get the vaccine for personal reasons, well, I can understand that you may have personal hang ups but I do feel like they should not be allowed to infringe in others’ safety. I’m not from the US though and being anti-vax isn’t a thing where I’m from really, so I just don’t understand that position.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AllAboardTheBlingTrain, with all respect, a few months is not nearly enough to prove safety of a vaccine. This is a new, fast tracked vaccine and there is no guarantee it will work (like the flu shot with its dismal performance) or that it will be safe and we will not know that for years.

I reference a friend of mine who is a nurse, she has narcolepsy, she got the H1N1 shot during the swine flu pandemic of 2009. Her doctor told her that it was the shot that caused the narcolepsy, now she has a debilitating condition she has to live with for the rest of her life. There is no monetary compensation for that either which I find criminal.

We need to acknowledge that vaccines are not one size fits all for everyone and until there is accountability (by repeal of the NCVIA of 1986) then they are not safe for all.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I've no clue what this means?
Help please.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.22.51 PM.png

Some people believe the shot may instill a micro chip for further tracking. I am not getting the vaccine that Gates may develop and present:bigsmile:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
@AllAboardTheBlingTrain, with all respect, a few months is not nearly enough to prove safety of a vaccine. This is a new, fast tracked vaccine and there is no guarantee it will work (like the flu shot with its dismal performance) or that it will be safe and we will not know that for years.

I reference a friend of mine who is a nurse, she has narcolepsy, she got the H1N1 shot during the swine flu pandemic of 2009. Her doctor told her that it was the shot that caused the narcolepsy, now she has a debilitating condition she has to live with for the rest of her life. There is no monetary compensation for that either which I find criminal.

We need to acknowledge that vaccines are not one size fits all for everyone and until there is accountability (by repeal of the NCVIA of 1986) then they are not safe for all.

Thank you, I will not have any vaccines at all, no flu (for the next season) and no covid shots.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock

My daughter has narcolepsy, too. She developed it suddenly right after a bad case of pneumonia.
The thing with the H1N1 connection to narcolepsy is only the Pandemrix vaccine, which was only given in a few European countries, has actually been shown to have triggered narcolepsy. The vaccine responsible was never given in North America. In fact, contracting H1N1 also seemed to have some increased risk for triggering Narcolepsy.

The reason this is important is that anti-vaxxers sometimes use the H1N1 vaccine and Narcolepsy to "prove" that vaccines are unsafe when the research has shown it was one version of the vaccine. Furthermore, illnesses themselves can trigger autoimmune illnesses. Who knows what Covid 19 may trigger.

If I could have vaccinated my daughter against the pneumonia which triggered her Narcolepsy I absolutely would have.

My daughter has narcolepsy, too. She developed it suddenly right after a bad case of pneumonia.
The thing with the H1N1 connection to narcolepsy is only the Pandemrix vaccine, which was only given in a few European countries, has actually been shown to have triggered narcolepsy. The vaccine responsible was never given in North America. In fact, contracting H1N1 also seemed to have some increased risk for triggering Narcolepsy.

The reason this is important is that anti-vaxxers sometimes use the H1N1 vaccine and Narcolepsy to "prove" that vaccines are unsafe when the research has shown it was one version of the vaccine. Furthermore, illnesses themselves can trigger autoimmune illnesses. Who knows what Covid 19 may trigger.

If I could have vaccinated my daughter against the pneumonia which triggered her Narcolepsy I absolutely would have.

You said it before I could’ve. If anyone is interested in reading up about the history of Pandemix and it’s association with narcolepsy, I would also like to point out that this association was established only using data from a few Scandinavian countries, only with Pandemix (not all H1N1 vaccines and definitely not all vaccines in general), and only for adolescents aged 12-16. The actual number of individuals developing narcolepsy symptoms after being vaccinated were still extremely low, but a clear correlation could still be established in the Swedish/Finnish data. There was no association found for adults. Other studies (such as one by Stanford, if I remember correctly) found that narcolepsy was associated with contracting upper respiratory infections. The H1N1 vaccine was generally found to be effective at both preventing infection and reducing severity.

edit to add (to keep on topic with the thread) - the H1N1 vaccines operated in 2 ways: inactivated virus and weakened live virus. The moderna vaccine for Covid-19, in contrast, is an m-RNA vaccine, which is generally accepted as a much safer way to vaccinate as it does not involve being injected with infectious elements (even weakened or inactivated elements) with a lower chance of side effects (and is really a medical breakthrough). mRNA, if it works, is a technology that would allow for effective vaccination against other highly infectious and mutative viruses.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mekp, well that is what her doctor told her so I don't know what to say about the narcolepsy only being from certain vaccines. Whether she got that one or not I have no idea. My point in mentioning that is that individuals need to approach new vaccines with caution. There will be a lot of people who rush to get it and that's fine but I think it's important to point out that these treatments are not without risk. Of course there is risk is not getting it right away too.

I am very vocal about vaccines and individual risk because we have been personally affected. Not really a fan of the anti-vaxxer label because it has a rather negative and dismissive connotation. Of course there are some that just have a child and decide not to vax and then there are others that do vax as recommended and have adverse effects. So to just say "Yada doesn't support vaccines like COVID because she is anti-vax" is shortsighted because it's not completely true, it's because my son had an adverse reaction. He does not qualify for a medical exemption either.

I am so sorry that your daughter has narcolepsy, obviously it is a lifelong debilitating condition and it's always hard for parents when our children are sick or unwell.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I will not have any vaccines at all, no flu (for the next season) and no covid shots.

I hope I didn't influence your decision, my nurse friend is just one example, many more probably took the shot without incident.

I personally do not get any shots but that is my own decision, obviously if someone decides to get them then that is what they feel is best for them. It would just be great if vaccination was approached with more consideration for individual risk and they are not currently.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I personally do not get any shots but that is my own decision, obviously if someone decides to get them then that is what they feel is best for them. It would just be great if vaccination was approached with more consideration for individual risk and they are not currently.
I agree and feel the same. I didn't used to have a problem with vaccines until I got my first flu shot when I was 23. A week later I came down with severe flu/pneumonia. First and last time I've ever had the flu. I'll never get that shot again. However, I get tetanus regularly and just had the non-mercurized Shingrix series last year. I will wait a while for the Covid shot...

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is a first responder, so we will take a vaccine as soon as it is deemed safe, and recommended by our doctors (ie, after it has gone through proper peer-reviewed channels and full testing), since he doesn't have the option to just stay home. We both had COVID in March, and while he has antibodies, I do not. There are a few theories as to why that may be, but it will be interesting to see over the next few months if that proves to be the case for a larger segment of the population or not. I truly fear getting it a second time. Once was more than bad enough.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take one for the team.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article, which discusses the benefits of vaccines that are given traditionally, through vaccination, versus those given nasally, said that if one wants a (possibly more effective) vaccine that is administered nasally, he may have to wait for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results