shape
carat
color
clarity

"Will you marry me?" - Portuguese translation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
OK guys. I''ve got another question for all of you - how do you say "will you marry me" in portuguese. I can''t seem to find it on the internet and I don''t want to ask her parents...yet. I''m not sure if I''ll use it, but just in case I''d like to know. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
Portuguese (Brazil)

Will you marry me? ------> Você casar-me-á?

Will you be my wife? --------> Você será minha esposa?

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
That''s great! I think the Portugal Portuguese is the same as Brazil, right? Just wondering...would you be able to spell it the way you say it? Thanks doxiemom!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
No - Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese in Portugal are different. Which are you looking for?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also: ask for the phonetic spelling (or I will). When I studied a little Portuguese I was astounded at how the words looked written. (They *LOOKED* like Spanish!) That sure as heck didn't help me to pronounce them, though. Doxiemom, could we have a phonetic rendition, please?

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I lived in Portugal for a year and became pretty fluent. I just verified the phrases with a friend in Lisbon, so that I was absoltuely certain all my grammer was correct:

"Will you marry me?" Queres casar-te comigo?

Pronunciation in Continental Portuguese (VERY DIFFERENT than Brazilian):
KER-esh ka-ZAR-teh co-MEE-go?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want to marry you" Quero casar-me contigo

Pronunciation in Continental Portuguese
KER-oo ka-ZAR-meh con-TEE-goo.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And in case you do want to ask her parents:
"I would like to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage." Eu gostava de pedir a mão da sua filha em casamento.

Pronunciation in Continental Portuguese
AEYoo gosh-TA-va de peh-DEER ah MAAoo dah SOO-ah FEEL-ya em CA-za-MEN-too.

Note that the phonetics are my personal attempt...not any official system or anything.

You can PM me if you like and we can chat by phone if you want to actually hear it. If there are any native Portuguese speakers out there, talking with them is even better.

Good luck.

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help! My girlfriend's family is from the islands in Portugal. I know that mainland Portugal dialect is different than the islands dialect.

Oh, rms, thanks for that extra phrase. I'll definately use that one when I ask her parents...not like I can ask them beforehand how to pronounce it!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
no problem...I love the language. I was just in Portugal this past October for a visit. We had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones!! We got to go to the biggest rivalry soccer game while there. That was quite an experience for me. The fans are amazing.

Yes, I think that the dialect is yet again different in the Azores (I have never been there but would love to go), so how exactly to say it there?!?! HaHa, I think you will be fine regardless of what translation you got here. Let us know how it goes.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thank you, too, rms...I love language lessons (especially in languages where I have at least a chance of understanding the grammar).

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
How romantic!!! Have you seen Love Actually? Colin Firth proposes in (not perfect) Portugese
30.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I saw the movie...it is sooooo cute.

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Well after about a week of practicing the phrases from rms, I''ve decided to "kick it up a notch!" I actually contacted someone I know from the same region as my gf''s parents to check if my pronounciation was up to par...she said it was great, but she helped me "expand" a little. What do you guys think?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minha querida (name),

Tu es o amor da minha vida. Sem ti a vida nao tem proposito. Contigo eu sinto-me comleto. Gostarias de cazar comigo?

My sweetheart/darling/dear (name),

You are the love of my life. Without you life has no meaning. With you I feel complete. Would you marry me?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And for the parents....

Eu amo muito a vossa filha. Ela e a mulher dos meus sonhos, a mulher que eu escolhi para ser minha esposa e minha companheira. Eu gostaria de ter a vossa permissao de pedir a mao da vossa filha em casamento.

I love your daughter very much. She is a woman of my dreams, a woman that I''ve chosen to by my wife and companion. I would like to have your permission to ask you daughter''s hand in marriage.

I loved the original phrases from rms because they were simple and easy to remember, but I think I''m gonna go with the new ones. Thanks again rms. I think I''ll have a little trouble trying to remember the second phrase by this weekend, but I''ll give it a shot. If not, I''ll just put it on a card so I can read off it. Wish me luck!

And I may pick up that movie for some pointers!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh, my goodness, you have me in tears. Imagine what "a tua querida" (your darling) is going to say....that is just sooooooo sweet and heartfelt. Good luck....boa sorte

My guess is this was a typo, but complete is spelled "completo"

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I have been following your story (see my posts). You have really outdone yourself! Based on just the reading the Portuguese that you have written I am moved (sniff, sniff). Your GF AND her parents are going to be just thrilled.
face23.gif
Please please keep us updated.

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
I''ve been practicing for the last hour on how to say the second phrase. I actually got the person that helped me translate to leave a message on my phone so I can listen to it for the pronounciation. It''s coming along though. Funny thing is...I was just talking to my girlfriend on the phone and I mentioned a Portuguese dish that I like...she lauged at me and told me how funny my Portugeuse "accent" was (I guess the Canadian twist)! I''ll show her!

rms and onedrop...I''m glad you like what I wrote. The big day is coming soon...10 more days!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Newfeeflip - I absolutely love what you are going to say to her parents and to your girlfriend. Beautifl! I need a box of tissues...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nff-

You had better come back and tell us how it went! If you do not, you can never show your face around here again. You have a legion of us waiting to hear how everyone receives these messages!!!

Deborah

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
After practicing for the last 2 days (about 2 hours total I think!) I''ve finally committed the "parents" phrase to memory and I''ll be asking them (and my parents) this weekend. Getting nervous now, but I''ll be more nervous for the proposal next week. I''ll let everyone know how it goes!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I have had the honour of corresponding privately with Newfeeflip for the past few weeks. This man’s thoughtfulness in planning the perfect proposal for his sweetheart is impressive. The respect he has shown for his girlfriend, her parents, and his is touching. The love he feels for his future fiancee is evident in every message he sends. He has been learning Portuguese phrases, and practicing their song on his guitar. He has spent a great deal of time and effort in thinking of and arranging the details that will make this moment special for the two of them. May everything go smoothly for you in the coming days Newfeeflip!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2005 9:29
6.gif
2 AM
Author: Gale
I have had the honour of corresponding privately with Newfeeflip for the past few weeks. This man’s thoughtfulness in planning the perfect proposal for his sweetheart is impressive. The respect he has shown for his girlfriend, her parents, and his is touching. The love he feels for his future fiancee is evident in every message he sends. He has been learning Portuguese phrases, and practicing their song on his guitar. He has spent a great deal of time and effort in thinking of and arranging the details that will make this moment special for the two of them.

I hope that doesn''t mean I cannot hold him accountable if he does not return here to tell us how it went!

Deborah ;-)

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Newfeeflip is sure to post the details of the proposal. No need to fear Deborah!

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
No worries...I''ll be posting EVERY detail of my adventure from the ring search to the engagement...and our trip to the Dominican of course! I''m actually picking up the ring tomorrow so I''ll be more at ease and then I can plan everything step by step without worrying if I''ll have the ring in time or not.

Gale, you''ve been awesome with your help and ideas these last few weeks. You''ve been there almost every step of the way. It''s amazing how a total stranger can have so much impact in your life and you don''t even have to meet them! It''s great to know you can confide in someone and not have to worry if they will "spill the beans." If I can give a tenth of the help to someone else as Gale has given to me I''d be happy.

I''ll let you all know how the "asking the parents in Portuguese" thing went by Sunday...see ya!

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
So asking the parents went off without a hitch. They were really impressed with my Portuguese. I have to say I was pretty nervous...literally shaking in my boots...my hands were shaking like crazy, but I made no mistakes! Now it''s time for the engagement and a few more Portuguese sentences to remember. See ya!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on that!! We can''t wait for the big proposal news. Don''t forget about your fan club here.
35.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful!! Saw the ring over in SMTR. Very nice! I am so glad things went well with asking her parents. This should take a little pressure off. Looking forward to the proposal details.
36.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2005 6:26:52 PM
Author: Newfeeflip
So asking the parents went off without a hitch. They were really impressed with my Portuguese. I have to say I was pretty nervous...literally shaking in my boots...my hands were shaking like crazy, but I made no mistakes! Now it''s time for the engagement and a few more Portuguese sentences to remember. See ya!

Conratulations! Where are you doing this? In what country? I had assumed it was the US, then I saw that you were going to ask the parents on Sunday...and it''s been done before Sunday hit the US or Canada!

Deborah

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
I am CANADIAN!
2.gif
I was going to post on Sunday, but I was too excited so I did it today. I''ll keep you guys posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results