shape
carat
color
clarity

Will the consumer really notice if a diamond is cut to ideal proportions? Diamond already sourced and ring being made...

erical77

Rough_Rock
I am having a ring made by a local jeweler to replace my 1.3 carat natural H/S1 diamond engagement ring that went down the disposal a couple months ago. I settled on a 3.14 carat lab diamond and completely redid the engagement ring and wedding band (after 22+ years, it was time for a change!).

I have seen the diamond they are using in the store, I've looked at it's IGI certificate, I've posted about it on Reddit only to be told that its a 60/60 diamond and not cut to ideal standards. Whatever it is, is still probably better than my old diamond.

Question: will I really notice this? It's a 1.4 on the HCA tool, 8.4 on stonealgo, but according to another Reddit user, it has "moderate pavilion twist causing zones of light leakage under the table" - photo attached. As a major type A person who researches everything, this is killing me, but I'm wondering if I'm freaking out over nothing. It's been 3+ weeks since the diamond and CADS were sent to be made and it's due in this week. I'm guessing I can ask them to source a different stone with the same proportions, but is it really worth it? (Note this is a jewelers mutual claim and I'm having 3 rings made and it's costing me about $200... hidden halo pave band ring, 3.7mm eternity band (no idea on carat weight) and a small 2.4mm floating diamond band all 3 set in platinum). Help please! diamond.jpg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Notice it compared to what might be a better question. As you said, it’s likely *better* than your last diamond, is that enough for you? No one can answer that other than yourself.

This diamond does not have the cut parameters that people on this site would recommend/purchase. You would notice that against a well performing stone, but if it’s better than your last, maybe it will be enough. Hard to say.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
You will notice. This is a special upgrade and you’ll be wearing it everyday, I would keep looking for a stone with a better cut.

With lab stones you are buying new there are so many on the market you can really hunt around. I tend to embrace the “weird and wonky” with vintage/antique things but if you’re spending $ on a new lab stone why not be picky?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I am having a ring made by a local jeweler to replace my 1.3 carat natural H/S1 diamond engagement ring that went down the disposal a couple months ago. I settled on a 3.14 carat lab diamond and completely redid the engagement ring and wedding band (after 22+ years, it was time for a change!).

I have seen the diamond they are using in the store, I've looked at it's IGI certificate, I've posted about it on Reddit only to be told that its a 60/60 diamond and not cut to ideal standards. Whatever it is, is still probably better than my old diamond.

Question: will I really notice this? It's a 1.4 on the HCA tool, 8.4 on stonealgo, but according to another Reddit user, it has "moderate pavilion twist causing zones of light leakage under the table" - photo attached. As a major type A person who researches everything, this is killing me, but I'm wondering if I'm freaking out over nothing. It's been 3+ weeks since the diamond and CADS were sent to be made and it's due in this week. I'm guessing I can ask them to source a different stone with the same proportions, but is it really worth it? (Note this is a jewelers mutual claim and I'm having 3 rings made and it's costing me about $200... hidden halo pave band ring, 3.7mm eternity band (no idea on carat weight) and a small 2.4mm floating diamond band all 3 set in platinum). Help please! diamond.jpg

Also, the person who commented that is someone many people on here use to make final decisions. Myself included. They aren’t wrong, but again, you’ll know best for yourself.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Also, the person who commented that is someone many people on here use to make final decisions. Myself included. They aren’t wrong, but again, you’ll know best for yourself.

Was it DejaWiz? I know he posts over there sometimes. Doing good work all over the internet!

I think a less than great cut also stands out more on a larger stone in my experience as the facet pattern is easier to pick out without magnification. Just personal opinion.

erical

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. And yes, it was DejaWiz who commented on Reddit!

I wish I had the specs of my old diamond but only the color/clarity/carat are listed on the appraisal.

Now that the ring has been made to the specs of the “bad” diamond, how much leeway do I have in sizing (mm). This “bad” diamond is 9.50-9.54X5.68mm…

erical77

Rough_Rock
How does this one look in comparison? I only searched for GIA diamonds... can't figure out how to upload the video though and from what I've read, I shouldn't post the certificate number unless I have a hold on the diamond. I also am assuming that my local jeweler can source any of the diamonds I'm finding online from their wholesaler?

LABORATORY-GROWN DIAMOND SPECIFICATION*​

Shape And Cutting StyleRound Brilliant
Measurements9.45 - 9.48 x 5.83 mm
Carat Weight3.21 carat
ColorE
ClarityVS2
CutExcellent

PROPORTIONS​

Depth61.6%
Table57%
Crown Angle34.5°
Crown Height15.0%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length50%
Lower Half75%
GirdleMedium, Faceted, 3.5%
CuletNone

FINISH​

PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent

FLUORESCENCE​

FluorescenceNone

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS​

Clarity CharacteristicsGrowth Remnant

COMMENTS​

This is a man-made diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does this one look in comparison? I only searched for GIA diamonds... can't figure out how to upload the video though and from what I've read, I shouldn't post the certificate number unless I have a hold on the diamond. I also am assuming that my local jeweler can source any of the diamonds I'm finding online from their wholesaler?

LABORATORY-GROWN DIAMOND SPECIFICATION*​

Shape And Cutting StyleRound Brilliant
Measurements9.45 - 9.48 x 5.83 mm
Carat Weight3.21 carat
ColorE
ClarityVS2
CutExcellent

PROPORTIONS​

Depth61.6%
Table57%
Crown Angle34.5°
Crown Height15.0%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length50%
Lower Half75%
GirdleMedium, Faceted, 3.5%
CuletNone

FINISH​

PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent

FLUORESCENCE​

FluorescenceNone

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS​

Clarity CharacteristicsGrowth Remnant

COMMENTS​

This is a man-made diamond.

The angles look promising. Not every jeweler can source every stone, so I would check with them. Can you post a picture of the stone?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from being physically able to see and appreciate the differences, even if aided, one also has the concept of "mind clean", in that one knows it is an excellent/ideal cut grade because that's the grade as purchased.

If you know what I mean.

DK :))

erical

Rough_Rock
@dk168 I'm having a hard time quoting you, but I agree. I think knowing that I don't have an ideal diamond will constantly be in my head every time I look at the diamond! At this point even if I might not notice anything "wrong" with it, my brain will!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Looool. With that hat and all? Thoughts of the video above?

Yes...and the hat stays. Only a miner thing, so not a big deal.

Video shows a great looking diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results