shape
carat
color
clarity

Will larger carat MMD ever get to $800/carat?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think larger MMD will ever get to $800/carat like the Lightbox diamonds?

I would love to get a 4-5 ct emerald cut, D-F, VVS solitaire for an "alternate" engagement or cocktail ring, but don't really want to spend more than $5K on it.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... Anything is possible. At the moment I think it's just as hard to make a good sized lab rough as it is to find a mined rough. If they refine the process to a point where they can make a large rough without interruption to quality then the price might drop over time, but if regardless, it just costs more money to grow a stone from say 2 to 3 carats, then 3 to 4, (and make it high colour and clarity) it won't be $800 per carat.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No doubt but a few things will need to change.
Grading currently costs about the same as cutting. So grading needs to be gone - we don't grade individual cars and hand bags.
We need brands that stand for minimum standards.
I expect rough CVD to get down to $100-$200 per carat. After cutting that doubles plus about the same cost as cutting.
Add a retail margin and Bob's ya Uncle

symc820

Rough_Rock
The question is WHEN this will happen. I imagine that it will take at least 10years. Even 5 carat Moissanites cost 2000-3000 usd.

Chinese moissanite is getting cheaper and cheaper - you can get a 5 carat WAY below 2000-3000 USD.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chinese moissanite is getting cheaper and cheaper - you can get a 5 carat WAY below 2000-3000 USD.

I wonder why China or India lab-grown diamonds are not that cheap yet for the larger carat sizes. I priced out 4-5 ct with Tianyu and Ouros and neither could beat US prices.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think you are breaking the rules - this is a synthetic diamond panel, not fakes.
So please no more M words.
Seriously, Moissanite is one tenth of the prices you are quoting now the all the patents have expired.
same will start happening with man made diamonds too.
1607496038687.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wonder why China or India lab-grown diamonds are not that cheap yet for the larger carat sizes. I priced out 4-5 ct with Tianyu and Ouros and neither could beat US prices.

There are probably 2 main reasons.
1. they do not need to be cheaper because LigthBox can not supply all the demands.
2. there is a lot of investment in marketing, and a lot of grading costs added on.

While MMD's are sold on prices based on natural diamonds rarity why wouldn't they sell them at what the market will pay?
How much does a beer cost in a super market. How much at a sporting event? How much in a posh restaraunt?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My 5ct heart Moissy was 160 USD for the stone itself, sourced by the bench I use in China that is making the slider pendant for me.

Photo taken using my usual contact's cell phone.

DK :))

Attachments

• 20201209_075045.jpg
    20201209_075045.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 85
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results