shape
carat
color
clarity

Why You Should Take All Your Females to See Wonder Woman

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My DD took me and DH to see Wonder Woman for Father's Day. And it was ridiculously empowering. I loved the Tomb Raider movies, but this is way better.
It is an action movie for women BY WOMEN (the director is female, and it shows), and guys like it too. The heroine is confident without being arrogant, has her own mind, does not look down on men but also does kowtow to them or follow their lead. Her confident manner is inspiring.
As my DD put it, "It's a female empowerment movie without being a female empowerment movie. She's a bad-ass, and just a bad-ass". In other words, it's not a woman in an action movie, it's an action movie that happens to have a female lead. She's not androgynous, nor is she the overly sexy "comic book woman". Her breasts are the normal size, and you never see cleavage. You never see her tushy hanging out the back. All the fight scenes are full-on fight scenes, with the women kicking ass just as hard as men do in action movies. She is completely confident, yet she has sympathy and empathy. She is not "butch", or unfeminine or anything else.
I wish I had this kind of movie to show DD when she was 6. Though I raised her to be competent and confident (you're smart, beautiful and hard-working, was what I always told her. In that order), this movie would have made it easier.
Think about it: the average 6 year old boy sees piles of male-hero action movies. Then he comes home from the toy store with active toys that emulate the characters: swords, guns, phasers, action figures, whatever. Through play, he learns a certain level of confidence and swagger. It may be enough to help him throughout adulthood.
Now imagine if a girl could do that: see a female hero, play with her sword and shield, mimic her athleticism, her confidence. Imagine if she could carry that attitude around with her. Or should we keep shoving the "wait for a man to rescue you" genre of Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella? I never did take DD to see any of that BS, though her grandmother did. :roll:
I say All Your Females because I think older generations of women should see this too. I think Grandmas who were raised to be dominated by males (just because they're male :roll:) would be amazed at how far women have come. But maybe show it to them on DVD, it's pretty loud. :)
I understand Disney has been stepping up their game with more confident female heroes, but I think a live-action movie really brings the point home. Take them while it's still in theaters, which won't be for much longer.
BTW, Wonder Woman has over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and they never like anything. :D

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear your review! I'm going tomorrow and taking my teenage daughter and son with me!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw it when it opened and wasn't expecting to like it because I grew up watching Lynda Carter and think she was iconic as a feminist role model. Having said that leaving any preconceived notions I had about this aside - I left thinking finally a movie the DC stable got right unlike the others (Batman versus Superman for example) it's balanced with enough light and dark and comic relief from Chris Pine's character in it to make the movie work (the work of a female director that really gets the character....), and lets not forget Gal Gadot (who btw has two children and still has the body of a goddess literally) is totally kick arse!!!

I agree one worth watching, go see it everyone - give the studios the message we want to see more movies with strong independent women as the lead character.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome review! I had been ignoring it as I am sick of movies where women are either weak, tag along with others for no real reason, or over-the-counter with boobs/butt hanging all over and her body being her main strength (as in, distract the bad guy with boobs).

I think all the males should go too. See what real females are capable of -- being just as competent, smart, etc as any male out there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will try to go see it this week. I think my 5 year old is too young for it--I took her to see Beauty and the Beast and she sat on my lap during the wolves vs. beast scene, and other loud, violent parts.

Somewhere in my parents' house there is a snapshot of me when I was about 6 or 7 sitting on my rocking horse wearing Wonder Woman underwear and "bra" (a little half tank top, maybe today it would be called a "bralette"). I LOVED Wonder Woman back when the Lynda Carter version was out.

Of COURSE one of my male Facebook friends posted a review and started a conversation about whether Gal Gadot was Amazonian enough or too supermodel-esque. Of course. Because it always has to be about appearance. :roll:

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great Review iLander. I wish my grandniece was a little older so I could take her to see it. Sounds like a great movie for little girls to see.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hated the movie :sleep:
Like, wanted to walk out because of how bored I was. Except I was there with hubby's coworker's. Hubby and I were both bored to tears. I kept yawning. It wasn't bad ass enough.

I really wanted to love it. But I didn't.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hated the movie :sleep:
Like, wanted to walk out because of how bored I was. Except I was there with hubby's coworker's. Hubby and I were both bored to tears. I kept yawning. It wasn't bad ass enough.

I really wanted to love it. But I didn't.

Uhhhh, so it was just boring and you're bored but not too bored to come here and post that? What was boring about it? Why did it bring you to tears because you were so bored? And why didn't you get up and go do something more worth your time instead?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RIVETED.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhhhh, so it was just boring and you're bored but not too bored to come here and post that? What was boring about it? Why did it bring you to tears because you were so bored? And why didn't you get up and go do something more worth your time instead?
Excuse me? Ouch? Snappy much?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you took 2 seconds to even read my post, the last line said I wanted to love it. I did. I'm sad I didn't. I'm allowed to have dissenting opinion. FFS.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read a commentary article that put forward the argument that they had to make it a good film because they couldn't rely on the 'ooh, superheros are cool!!!1!' 'trend' for male characters lol

I think Grandmas who were raised to be dominated by males (just because they're male :roll:) would be amazed at how far women have come.
You should have met my grandmother, and the many other hundreds of women who worked in the Armed Forces during WW2 over here - when it came to trouser-wearing at home, they did it :Dlol

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't 'have' any females. :cry:
Where can I buy some?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where can I buy some?
Be careful, Kenny, they can be a lot of hard work ;-) :lol:

*joking* !!!!!

[runs and hides] :lol-2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We saw it on Saturday, it was hardly a great film, but entertaining nonetheless, and Gal Gadot was good in the part.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a super hero movie it wasn't as fun or happy as the Marvel series. HOWEVER, for a kick-ass girl power movie, HELL YAH!! For sure. I take my daughter to all these ass movies where women kill it. I LOVED Terminator 2. And Aliens 2.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
For a super hero movie it wasn't as fun or happy as the Marvel series. HOWEVER, for a kick-ass girl power movie, HELL YAH!! For sure. I take my daughter to all these ass movies where women kill it. I LOVED Terminator 2. And Aliens 2.

REPLYING TO ALL POSTERS: And that's my point, exactly. I didn't think it was a spectacular movie, but I was also riveted to it. There were a couple of slow parts that could have been edited out, but the action sequences were well done and her "F' this, I'm obviously going to have to take care of it", attitude was pretty cool.
I didn't think it would be any good, also afraid of T&A BS, but it was my DD who insisted we go (this her second time seeing it) and DH who wanted to go for Father's Day. I was thrilled that DD loved it.
I am thinking now, because what some of you have posted, that maybe 6 is too young. Maybe 8 or 9 and up. DD is in her early '20's and loved it. If your girl is too young now, definitely consider buying a DVD for the future.
I am a huge action movie fan, though. I loved the Avengers series, and I liked Dr Strange with Benedict Cumbebyme ;-). My favorite movie is of all time is still The Muppet Movie.
'Tis a gift to be simple. :D

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Where can I buy some?
I'm sure you can borrow some from your SO's family. Think 10 and up.
As for buying some, I'm pretty sure you don't actually want the ones that are buyable. :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a lot better than a number of the other male lead DC movies......

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the DC movies for whatever reason are not in the same league as a number of the Mavell ones.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought it was fantastic - I was riveted to it. For those who don't like this genre of film, I can imagine it may not have been too exciting, but I loved every minute of it. My husband and I went with our daughter (she's 12) and I would suggest people take both their female AND male children, friends, relatives, etc. to go see it. We need more films like this - female leads who aren't defined by the men in their lives, but rather by their own achievements and strength. Game of Thrones is another example of some really excellent female characters who transcend their patriarchal surroundings. I'm hard pressed to think of any others, hence the need for more shows and films of this nature.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Most of the DC movies for whatever reason are not in the same league as a number of the Mavell ones.
I agree. I thought the first Batman, with Michael Keaton was great, then the rest that followed were pretty abysmal.
But I thought this was equal to the backstory movies of Captain Marvel, Wolverine, Thor, etc. Not as good as the Avengers movies, though.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was fantastic - I was riveted to it. For those who don't like this genre of film, I can imagine it may not have been too exciting, but I loved every minute of it. My husband and I went with our daughter (she's 12) and I would suggest people take both their female AND male children, friends, relatives, etc. to go see it. We need more films like this - female leads who aren't defined by the men in their lives, but rather by their own achievements and strength. Game of Thrones is another example of some really excellent female characters who transcend their patriarchal surroundings. I'm hard pressed to think of any others, hence the need for more shows and films of this nature.

Agreed. None of the males in the movie were the least bit threatened by her strength, which is good to learn.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Game of Thrones is another example of some really excellent female characters who transcend their patriarchal surroundings.
Maybe don't let the 12-year-old kids watch it, though... :lol: lol

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw it yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do have a few quibbles, but for the most part the movie really drew me in, and entertained me, and allowed me to disconnect that fault-finding aspect of my personality for a few hours (no small feat, and one few movies accomplish). BTW the first showing we tried to get into was sold out, and the late showing I ended up in was 80-90% full. Of course the ~110 degree outside temps may have had something to do with that!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you haven't seen Aeon Flux you should. It's a fun, cool good movie. Charlize Theron kicks some ass!! And so does her partner. (not the man). I might get crucified for this but I like GI Jane too. Some of the language is a little hokey but I love that she didn't quit. Another series that is really good is The Closer, both with Kyra Sedgwick and Mary McDonnell.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not normally a fan of superhero movies (although perhaps I should try them more often!). But my 21 year old daughter and I went to Wonder Woman today and really enjoyed it! I liked it SO much more than I expected! Perfect actors for the leads, and it certainly kept our attention. I also like movies where good wins out over evil, and this one certainly scored in that area.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add that good movies don't have to have a lot of bad language and sex to be entertaining, like this one. And while I do not go to movies with graphic violence, either, this one had a lot of fighting without being graphic or gory.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results