shape
carat
color
clarity

Why would you name your store DCD??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
There can be a lot in a name.

I would have to buy my stone from a vendor with a respectable name.

Whiteflash, Windfield, Bluenile, Mondera, Abazias, Joe's Jewelry even.

I don't get DCD. I could never buy a stone at DCD and have my fiance asked "where did you get the ring". I just couldn't respond, "Dirt Cheap Diamonds"

I think it is a huge marketing error, IMHO. I would never name my store, Discount Diamonds, Dirt Cheap Diamonds, Bargain Diamonds, Cheapskate Diamonds, Diamonds for Less. Nor could I purchase even a great stone from a vendor with such a name.

At least they could rename their store DCDiamonds, and you wouldn't have to let your girl know what 'DC' stood for.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i sort of agree.
1.gif
i can't say i wouldn't shop there for that reason, but it's definitely off-putting.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Might not have been the best name, but from what we here around here it would be a mistake not to consider them.

Don't judge a book by its cover!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I would buy a diamond from them if it was as great diamond for a great price, but I think I would definitely be embarrassed to say the name.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a great fan of the name for the same reasons you have listed, but I have purchased stones from them, as has a friend. We found beautiful stones at a great price. The owner, Jim Schultz is a straight forward guy to work with. Not considering them simply limits your choices.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who DID purchase a diamond from DirtCheapDiamonds what first attracted me to their website was the "cheap" part. I was curious as to exactly what that meant. I found their prices to be just that and the quality and selection to be in line with the other vendors. Also, someone doing a Google search of "cheap diamonds" or "wholesale diamonds" will find that they come up near the top of the list. Clever marketing on their part and it seems like business is good.

It's all about the money to me. I don't see paying more to say "Blue Nile". BTW, I got some laughs from my friends when I told them where I got my diamond. They stopped laughing and their mouths dropped open when I told them how little I paid for such a gorgeous stone. Two of them have been shopping over there for their diamond upgrades.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I first heard the name I was completely baffled why anyone would choose that name. Did they really dislike the diamond business that much? Were they truly radical, over the top, unfriendly? Well it couldn't be more distant from the truth.

The name got my curiousity going and I just had to see what they were all about. Other than the name and excellent pricing, I didn't see anything shocking or detrimental. Probably they have lost some sales just as a result of their name while capturing others who feel price is king in the diamond biz. So it is likely of only small consequence that the name is controversial. It was strange enough to get this thread started, wasn't it?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I was surprised about the name at first, but it made me look at their site and inventory, and they have some awesome stones for great prices. Also, I love their tagline
2.gif
. I think it's smart in the end. And as Neil pointed out, you could always shop at the rose by any other name...

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think their business persona is very clever. But, then again, I’m quirky that way, and rather like that satirical, in-your-face kind of clever twist. Besides, if I bought a knockout stone from them and my friends fawned all over it . . . they sure wouldn’t forget the name of the vendor once I told them.

So what anyway . . . anything can be turned around to sound extremely ritzy or extremely tacky. Lots of my friends refer to the store “Target” as “Targhetto” (vs. the common French twist of "Tar-je").

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps like David said the curiosity factor is what sends people over to check it out. I know that Jim and Josh post from time to time, maybe they'll chime in with an explanation on the name choice.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I just went over to check out "Madison Diamonds". Thanks for the tip DenverAppraiser!!
2.gif

Something about it looks vaguely familiar though........

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I have nothing but good things to say about DCD. I received stones for a band I had custom made.
I don't care about the name- never even thought twice about it.
But for some people- I guess that stuff matters.
What matters to me is quality, price and good customer service; all of which I received from DCD.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
We bought at DCD. Went there first and foremost, because it was local. Also, I did bring my wife there with me, and I must say the experience would have been, by some measure, improved for her, if the name were other than it was. But, my wife is a quick study, and I think we're OK. Also, the marketing concept is certainly understandable...call it what you might like it to be known for, in its marketing niche....and apparently, as documented here on this thread, some will find it for its name.

Jim and others note, though, at their Madison variant, you can't seem to benefit as well from their DCD branding, when it comes to separating one diamond from another in terms of its cut. That aspect of DCD's web site makes it better in presentation than most, regardless of its name.

Regards,

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
I love the DCD name and it fits their niche of providing quality at a great price.

People buy lots of stuff off ebay, and tell their friends
12.gif

If the stone is beautiful, it sounds like you really got a good deal.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I think that it is very memorable, and that is the point. I am one of those consumers that does not do well with names. I am forever seeing amusing commercials for brands that I cannot recall for the life of me. If I was cruising around the Internet, I would probably forget a name like Abazias (what was that place called? Abels? Abigails? Abangoff?) or Whiteflash (Whitehall? Whitefoot?) but Dirt Cheap would stay with me. That being said, I do think it is a somewhat odd name.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a b&m it wouldnt be a good name but for an internet store it is near perfect.
memerable and comes up near the top in search engines without spending a lot of money.
Remember on the net a name that people remember if its mentioned to them is 10x more valuable than it is for a local place.
Stans pizza works on a local level but Stans diamonds wouldnt work on the net.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Name doesn't bother me. But, I guess some could have issue w/ buying a romantic piece of jewelry from DCD.

What's up with the Madison site? Why would they have two names?

But then, I'd name by biz "Rock Bottom"
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/21/2004 10:00:40 AM fire&ice wrote:

9.gif
----------------

F&I....I'm surprised you have to ask. Must be before your first cup of coffee today! LOL
9.gif

It makes perfect sense (to me, anyway) that different segments of a business would have two separate names to cater to two distinct types of client.

There are those folks who want to deal with what *they* perceive is a *reputable, upscale* location...and Madison Diamonds certainly fits that.

There are those who are completely price conscious, and they are looking for the cheapest prices on diamonds. The DCD side appeals to them.

It's a completely logical (and smart!) approach to me.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Is it really any worse than "niceice"? The DCD name and approach reminds me of the "irreverent" attitude that R&T have at their site. Someone who wants a salon on the web or even mainstream like amazon might go someplace else. I think the traditional techie / heavy internet user (until recently when everyone's grandmother is online) appreciates the humor. Because of the broader audience today if I was starting a site now I might pick another name. But they've achieved such a reputation it's almost "retro"/old fashioned, at least in internet terms.

I still remember a few years ago a local AGS store, still in business, very much the salon, turning up their noses at "that niceice place". I wonder who has nicer diamonds
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/21/2004 10:16:29 AM aljdewey wrote:

----------------

9.gif
----------------

F&I....I'm surprised you have to ask. Must be before your first cup of coffee today! LOL
9.gif

It makes perfect sense (to me, anyway) that different segments of a business would have two separate names to cater to two distinct types of client.

----------------

Well, I think just the opposite. It makes me think they are fly by night name shifters. I could understand if they carried two very distinct grades of stones, etc (ala Zales vs Baily, Banks & Biddle - I believe these are the ones owned by a conglomerate). But, same game w/ a different name. Just my 2cents.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I get the two name approach, but was surprised to hear about Madison Diamonds. Seems the more irreverent one is the one everyone knows.

Dirt Cheap does lose some of the romance with that name, but aren't most of the people who start out looking for diamonds on the net looking to save money compared to a B&M? It makes total sense to me from a search engine point of view. I find that most people are taken back that we bought my 2.5ct stone "on the internet", regardless of the name of the place we purchased from. Most people by books and asprin off the internet, not major purchases like this.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------

9.gif
----------------

F&I,

This is explained in the very existence of this thread. Some customers love the Dirt Cheap name and others would be unwilling to buy from any store with such an irreverent name. The quality of the products sold, the prices charged, and the integrity of the people behind them are not affected by the name. It’s pure marketing. I agree with al, I think it’s evidence that they’re smart. Personally, I like doing business with smart people. Beats the heck out of the alternative.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I hate the name as well. It's like a used car salesman name. Luckily he has such a good reputatation that I am able to swallow my distaste and steer people toward him.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results