shape
carat
color
clarity

Why or why not get engaged on V-Day?

Would you be against getting engaged on Valentine''s Day?

• Yes, I would hate it.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, I think it is cheesy.

• No, I think it would be nice.

• No, I think Valentine''s Day is just as good as any.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
Inspired by responses to the thread about whether or not to give your bf hints about what you want in a proposal (and therighttime''s comment).

Who feels strongly about getting engaged on Valentine''s Day? And why?

Beth07

Rough_Rock
I think Valentines is a cheesy holiday. That of course is probably due to the fact that it''s also surrounded by family birthdays for me. They of course always HATED the combo birthday/valentine gift! To me valentine''s is just a day to remind the unromantic of the world that maybe they should think about doing something for their SO! To me, every day should be Valentine''s Day!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
engaged on v''day is cheesy, but if i was still an LIW, I''d take it because who really cares? the engagement supercedes the cheesiness factor!

SparkleIllinois

Rough_Rock
Hey, I would take whatever I could get at this point
2.gif

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
If I was proposed to on V-Day, I would be happy that he was proposing and happy that he''d tried to make the proposal special, but if I could have my choice in the matter I would definitely NOT want my anniversary to be on Valentine''s day. I already don''t like it that going out to eat on V-day requires reservations really far in advance, and even then the place is super packed and you have to wait to get your food. For that matter, anything romantic or date-ish is all booked up on V-day. Flowers are more expensive, harder to have delivered, everything. It would be nice to have a special day that was *ours*, and wasn''t every single couple''s day to celebrate.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
is there a reason to celebrate the anniversary of the day you got engaged?? not that i''m aware of...so if it falls on v''day who cares. v''day is a lousy day for your WEDDING day...agreed, but the 2 of you would have say on that. engagement is not ideal on v''day since it''s unoriginal, but really, who cares, an engagement an engagement!

therighttime

Shiny_Rock
I think most people are going to celebrate the anniversary of their marriage, not the anniversary of their engagement, so it wouldn''t really matter if you got engaged on a day that the restaurants were crowded, etc. As I posted on another thread, I really am not a huge valentine''s day fan. My son will take his cards to his class, and my boyfriend and I will exchange a card or something, but probably won''t even go out to eat since it''s a week night. However, if he chose to ask me to marry him that day I would be thrilled. How could it possibly be "cheezy" if the man you love is asking you to be his wife? I don''t think that it''s the day that''s important, it''s the promise of what is to come next that matters! Maybe I''m just old and see things differently than some others. I''m 100% sure I will not be getting engaged on Valentine''s Day, but if I were, and someone told me that my boyfriend took the easy way out or the engagement was cheezy, I would be very hurt!!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
*shrugs* we''ve never been big on v-day, so... it''d be like any other day.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think it''s the easy way out at all! I''m sure some guys think that having it on V-day will make it extra special and plan around having it that day. I don''t think it means they''re being lazy or something.

I can''t really say what the future will be like since I haven''t celebrated a wedding anniversary or an engagement anniversary.. but what about for gals who have really long engagements for whatever reason? It would be nice to celebrate the engagement anniversary in the meantime. Having an engagement that lasts two or three years isn''t all that unusual. And even after marriage, if you occasionally want to acknowledge the day you got engaged, whether it''s with a spur of the moment dinner out (maybe to the restaurant where he proposed if it was a restaurant proposal?) or whatever, it would just be a bit annoying to know that it would require a lot of planning ahead to do so to fight the Valentines crowds.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted a similar response in another thread--but I personally wouldn't want a V-day proposal because I have bad memories associated with the holiday. Even if I didn't, I would still rather he picked a day that meant something to us, not the greeting card companies.

therighttime

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea when we started "dating" because we were best friends for years and the line is kind of blurry from friendship to dating. I have no idea when our first kiss was either. So we have no day that is special for us that would be more meaningful than any other day for a proposal. I guess that is why I think Valentine''s Day or any day would be as perfect as any other. I can see if a couple celebrated year or month dating anniversaries, or an anniversary of a special trip or something then that might be a more special time for a proposal.

I did go to a Valentine wedding last year and boy was it, uh, in the true spirit of the day. Cupids, hearts, conversation candy favors... they went all out... and I think it was on a tuesday?? I''ll never forget that wedding.
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t even remember what day we got engaged. Couldn''t tell you if I tried. So for me, whatever...V-Day is just another day. We don''t go out for V-Day...not about to join the crazy masses that are brave enough to be out and celebrating.

TuesdaysChild

Rough_Rock
Valentine''s Day is just another day for us, but my sister was proposed to on V-day a couple years back and I think my guy may have gotten the impression that that''s the way to do it. He''s amazing, but a little...unimaginative?

At this point, I''m so ready for a proposal that I think I''ll be happy with whenever it happens.
25.gif

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think a v-day proposal would be cute. besides, v-day is so close that i would be thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i''m so sick of waiting!!!! i''d think a proposal on super bowl sunday was romantic at this point!
32.gif

therighttime

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 9:14:04 PM
Author: DMBsGirl
I think a v-day proposal would be cute. besides, v-day is so close that i would be thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i''m so sick of waiting!!!! i''d think a proposal on super bowl sunday was romantic at this point!
32.gif
Super bowl Sunday proposal! That''s a great idea! That''s also my boyfriend''s birthday.....
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldnt mind what day he proposed on but I think valentines day is a little cheesy. Its not a big deal in Ireland but I would like it if he did it on a different day

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
FF hates V-Day even more than I do. I mean he really, really hates it. I try to avoid retail stores at this time of year, because the eye-burning combination of red and pink everywhere makes me feel like I''ve eaten too many of those chalky heart candies.

I doubt I would mind if V-Day wasn''t synonymous with the tacky ''stuff'' that''s on display everywhere. Gilded plastic cupids glued to fake flowers?
33.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well my story is a bit different. I''ve never hated V-Day, nor particularly liked it, and we''d always thought that the fact that it was a ''day for romance'' was a bit of a cop-out, but at any rate a good excuse to buy some chockies and head to the beach for a meal of fish and chips
3.gif

And my FI proposed to me on V-Day 2 years ago! I thought it was a day he''d never ask me to marry him, so he caught me TOTALLY off guard. And he''s a reserved sort of person and he proposed with a front-page picture and article on the newspaper, so even moreso, I was gobsmacked! Taken aback by a proposal I never thought would happen on that day, in a way I never thought he''d do it!!

Smartypants
41.gif

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I think any day that celebrates love as a holiday is great! I know that people think V-day is "cheesy" but who cares? You should be celebrating your love with your SO each day, and I think that it''s nice that there is a holiday that celebrates love. Sometimes people DO need a reminder to share special time or be extra thoughful, and there''s nothing wrong with that.

I have loved Valentine''s Day since I was a little girl! I loved getting 30+ cards from my classmates in my "mailbox" that my teacher taught us to make from milk cartons, and we decorated them with hearts and glitter. In middle school and high school, it was fun and exhilarating to still get cards and candy from friends and even the occasional boyfriend or admirer. In college there were roses and flowers from either friends or admirers, and still tons of candy sent to me by my parents. And now there is my husband I and, who we''ve always gone out for dinner or stayed in for a nice dinner, maybe exchange cheesy cards, and really spend quality time together.

So I guess I''m in the minority on this one!

TCBug

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys -- don''t be soooo jaded! I think V-Day allows some men to feel like they''ve injected a romantic vibe into what they fear is an otherwise unromantic proposal. (Because they are unsure of themselves.)

My first V-Day with DH was back in 1984. We''d been dating all of 5 months. Noooo -- he didn''t propose. But he had flowers. . . and candy. . .and balloons. . .and a stuffed animal delivered to our table at the restaurant. Let me tell you, at 19 years old, that was SWEET!

Plus, I still remember the admiring looks I got from all the "older" and (maybe long-married) couples.

No, I never CRAVED a V-Day proposal. But I would not scoff at it either. It was always a wonderful day in my childhood (stepfather coming home with candy for all, cards from grandparents, etc.) DH and I STILL celebrate it and appreciate each other that day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results