shape
carat
color
clarity

Why no brooches?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some you you have many unmounted colored stones, and I don't recall seeing many, if any, newly-made brooches here.

Hmm.
27.gif

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kenny,

You are a man after my own heart. I just asked that question and was told they were old fashioned. I want to make a brooch but I am old.

My friend and I discussed Elizabeth Taylor today and when I mentioned the word brooch, she quickly said ''you mean pin, don''t you." Maybe the answer is to call it a pin.

I think we should make some brooches that are also enhancers, to be worn on some necklace and a suit jacket.
I really would like to make a brooch, but the idea is very new and I need to look at some high jewelry books. A tiara doesn''t suit me.

Thanks,

Annette

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never liked the word ''brooch'' - it rhymes with ''roach''.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Cellen. Also, I recently bought an antique, but it is diamond, not colored stone. Skippy has one that is diamond and sapphire floating around here somewhere...

ETA: threads in Jewelry Pieces if anyone is interested.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to see tons of brooches, go to the Royal Jewels sticky thread in the jewelry subforum. OMG!! You''ll see more brooches than your eyes can take in, and they''re all magnificent!!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
I like brooches, I really wish they were more popular. They are great to make because they dont have to be made to stand up to the wear and tear that a ring goes through and you dont have to worry about a chain interfering with the design like you do on a pendant.

My fav''s are from JAR, and Verdura.
One day I hope to own a pave JAR flower brooch, for now I am just happy with my JAR book.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You know, I''ve been looking for an antique stick-pin, to hold close some of my sweaters. My problem with broaches is actually two-fold: 1) I''m totally lazy so fiddling with a broach just isn''t my thing. I''m actually surprised I managed to wear my studs nearly every day for so many months already; usually rings are all I can handle 2) I also don''t like how careful I have to be not to damage the fabric. Even then it''s much too easy for a broach to cause permanent damage.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I think the damage that can be caused by a brooch is what makes them off-putting. I ordered some of those magnetic clasps that are designed to avoid sticking a pin through fabrics. It was not satisfactory.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hee, cellentani, apparently some people pronounce "brooch" to rhyme with pooch!!!

(Think Eleanor Roosevelt!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So all those royals ruined their zillion-dollar gowns with brooch pins?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 11:34:09 PM
Author: kenny
Silly. You don''t think they''d be caught dead in the same outfit twice, do you?

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 11:43:35 PM
Author: Hest88
Date: 7/2/2010 11:34:09 PM

Author: kenny

Silly. You don''t think they''d be caught dead in the same outfit twice, do you?
That was a great comeback!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While we mere mortals have to take care that we don't make permanent holes or ruin the threads of our regular clothes. :lol: I love brooches and stick pins, but I love some of my silk and brocade outfits just as much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results