shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does the centre look dark?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flee12

Rough_Rock
Is the dark part considered a window?

citrine.jpg

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looks like one big honkin window to me. Its dark because the background is, your loosing about 40% of the stone''s brilliance through that black hole.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maybe more of medium honkin'' window I suppose, with the BIG honkin'' window reserved for those that are over 50% of the width of the stone. Actually stones that are cut with checherboard crowns and apex crowns, having no flat table, will show a small window towards their center at a much lower angle when tilted, than if they had a table. With darker stones this always seems to be more prominent, I think because of the contrast between the bright pavilion flash and the dark window. If you could show a side view of the stone it would make a determination of its relative depth much easier. It''s so hard to tell from one picture, what''s going on.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Yes, the dark is from the back, meaning it is a window, though one must say that the checkboard covers it up quite well.

For a shallow stone a checkboard is a good choice. a normal table would have looked much worse...

if you can see it positive: it is a not-so-bad window :)
Edward Bristol
www.wildfishgems.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results