shape
carat
color
clarity

Why cut matters and why paying a low price for a bad gem can pay off in the end

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
I see a lot of post about, do you like this gemstone and a lot of time people will pass on them even though they have a lot of potential. I wanted to post two gems I recently acquired and had recut, these or not for sale but I thought it would be nice to share and show. some tricks of the trade. The first was 14 ct aquamarine with chips and scratches, the second was a badly windowed morganite,

IMG-2672.JPG
IMG-2732.JPG

the lose of weight has been out weighed by the new beauty in the gemstone, when deciding on what to buy if the price is right and if its clean you might get more value out of it with a recut. Just my tip of the day

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Any hints on ratios to know what may be a good candidate or not? I have lots of native cut stones I bought when first collecting before I knew what a window was. Thankfully most were very affordable (I guess because of this), but may also be good candidates for a recut as well. Thanks!

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post @Kevin Bryant. Also- wishing you a speedy recovery.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
COOL recuts! I hope you heal quickly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many in the trade will purchase suitable native cuts and make them much nicer. Congrats on these.

skoons6694

Rough_Rock
What's the average cost of a recut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the average cost of a recut?
It depends on how much tweaking is required, which is essentially how much time it’ll take. Charge per hour also depends on the lapidary. Ex. Jeff White will cost more than Dan Stair.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results