shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are these round multicolor Tahitians so underwhelming?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey guys,

This summer I got the Tahitian bug pretty bad and bought a 50" Tahitian strand from PP. The colors were *amazing,* each pearl had its own personality. I was in love. The problem was the weight of the 50" necklace, I found myself taking it off soon after putting it on because I couldn't pull off the weight. I ended up returning it.

I still wanted beautiful Tahitians, and decided to up my budget a little to go for something really perfect, something I could wear for years without feeling the need to "upgrade." So I ordered an 18" strand of AA+/AAA round & semi-round multicolor Tahitians. I loved the colors in the PP photo -- mostly bluish and pinkish overtones, which I think go well with my coloring.

So, I got the necklace an hour ago and it's entirely underwhelming. I am so bummed. The pearls are mostly silver with hints of color. Instead of each pearl being intense, bold, and having its own personality (like the baroques were), these are muted silver.

Where did I go wrong? Did I misread PP's photography? What should i look for next time? I still want my perfect Tahitians, but now I don't see anything on the PP website that looks right and in my budget. So bummed.

But I have to add that the PP customer service is amazing. I'm sure I'll find something, I'm just so sad that this strand didn't end up being right. Whyyyyyy :blackeye:

And for reference, my baroque necklace (that now I realize I should have never returned :(( )

_7128.jpg
img_1015.jpg
img_1065-2.jpg

img_8465.jpg

img_4241.jpg

img_4249.jpg

img_2885.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Why are these round multicolor Tahitians so underwhelmin

Is there any lighting in which your strand shows some of the colors visible in the website photo?

Pearls can be such chameleons-- they can look so very different depending on the light conditions. This makes them really hard to photograph. I think the professional photo lighting used is intended to show the pearls at their best-- the best they can look, when all the stars align and the ambient light is just so.... But they are not always going to look that way.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Gem Fever- there was a thread I read recently (I think on the other forum) about the professional photos vs real life. I think most people found there was less variation of color seen in normal lighting than the glamour shots. In addition, on the whole, ringed baroque tahitians just have lots of color variation which the rings seem to emphasize. Some one posted that PP is going to be posting lots of tahitians on Monday. You may also want to call and tell them what you want. That way they will pick the best for you. They do have awesome customer service!!

SMC

Ideal_Rock

I totally see what you mean and I have no good answer for you. It seems like baroques have much more personality than round pearls. I think someone told me in another thread that baroques also have stronger orient due to their shape and uneven surface.

For what it's worth, I think that the black round Tahitians look very classic on your neck! I'm looking to purchase a strand myself too (for my grandmother). I know PP will be having some Cyber Monday specials on Tahitians. Maybe you can start contacting them now with specifics on what you're looking for? I'd send them a picture of the baroques as well so they have a good idea. As you mentioned, their customer service is pretty awesome.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock

Hi GemFever!

I've had the same thing happen to me and was told by other pearl fans that the glamor shots rarely look like the real life shots because of the lighting they use and I see from other posts here that that's what it could be. Your pearls may not have the color differences you want but I must say they are bold and beautiful! I also agree with the others that you may want to contact PP ahead of their upcoming Tahitian sale and have them send you pictures of strands with more color differences. Hope you get what you want!@

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks for your responses pearlsngems, pinkjewel, sortmon, and pkinnew!

These pearls do exhibit some of the color shown on the photo, but so little. I expected each one to have personality enough to give them individual names. I'm a dork. I guess my previous experience was that the baroques looked even better IRL than on the pic. Maybe I should step away from rounds.

I just chatted with a PP rep and it seems like they don't really have any new stock coming out until the buying trip in March, so I gave her my request for that. I'm not sure how these buying trips work and if I'll end up with the perfect strand, but we'll see. In the meantime I'm also going to post my wishes on facebook, per the rep's suggestion. She was great to talk to.

Sending the rounds back today. They're pretty, but I now know that I want COLOR! Lots of it, even at the expense of shape (to an extent).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Too bad you didn't love them, I think they're beautiful. I bet in the right light they are stunning. It I didn't already have some multi color strands I would call PP and buy them.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

NacreLover -- it's certainly a pretty strand, just subtle. I guess I'm not a subtle kinda gal when it comes to colors :rodent:

baby monster -- thanks for the link! I think I may have seen that thread before but hadn't expected it to happen to me :devil: I though that since these are on the pricey side, they've gotta be just WHOA out there colorful. Shows how much I know about pearls (close to nothing!). Well, luckily I am in the U.S. so I can return and work with PP to put together an intensely colorful strand.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

While those pearls all have different colours they have the same tone and base colour which is why they look less differentiated and all sort of sink into a sameness in some lights.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

I hope you find what you're looking for! And post lots of pictures when you do! :)

I'm almost the exact opposite for you - I'm looking for a very well-matched strand. I wonder if the strand that you returned will fit the bill...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The baroque strand and the round one are both beautiful but in different ways and I totally agree with you that the bolder baroques are mesmerizingly beautiful. I bet PP will find you the very same flavor in the round strand you want Gem. It's going to be a knockout!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Shame you didn't think to get the long one made into two necklaces ... don't suppose they still have it?

I know exactly what you mean re: the colours. I'm looking at two strands right now that I bought in HK and they look so different in different lighting. Harsh daylight does nothing for them..they all go one shade...twilight or night-time .. they look lovely and the colours appear like magic. But as Wendy pointed out..it's because the base colour is pretty much the same grey on a lot of them . Here in the dim light I can see the blues and aubergines, silvers and goldy bronze..outside ... bleh!

It always seems like the colours are much lighter and less intense when you receive them and see them in real life.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pearlescence, seems like you are right. I guess I want different body colors? Shall see what PP advises.

sortmon -- if all goes well with the post office, PP should have this strand back on Friday. In time for the Cyber Monday sales :naughty:

Thanks missy!

katbran -- I'm not giving up hope of finding the Tahitians that will look good even in the dreary days of winter... though maybe I should be realistic. The baroque necklace I observed mostly in warm and sunny weather. I wonder what it would look like in the gloomy light we had today. But still, I can't imagine some of those greens and purples looking silvery grey. Maybe they just had strong and darkly colorful body tones? So much to learn.

Thanks for your input, everyone! I will definitely post pics when I find "The Tahitians to Rule Them All" :))

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Pearlescence|1385591135|3564167 said:
While those pearls all have different colours they have the same tone and base colour which is why they look less differentiated and all sort of sink into a sameness in some lights.

What she said. Also baroque, especially circle pearls, have better orient. The circle pearls having multicolor ring so the colors pop even more. Furthermore, the 50" strand you returned had lighter color pearls interspersed with darker pearls so the color contrast is stronger to the eyes.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HHPmom|1385655269|3564500 said:
Pearlescence|1385591135|3564167 said:

What she said. Also baroque, especially circle pearls, have better orient. The circle pearls having multicolor ring so the colors pop even more. Furthermore, the 50" strand you returned had lighter color pearls interspersed with darker pearls so the color contrast is stronger to the eyes.

Thanks HHPmom. I definitely learned a lot about Tahitians over the last two days!

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I echo what folks have said above about pearls being such chameleons. I have such a hard time with photos of them - in different lighting conditions they can look so different. I'm wearing a strand right now that is kind of uninteresting in bright light, but in shade, it's stunningly metallic and colorful.

I also agree that with Tahitians, rounds and baroques have a really different look. Personally, I prefer baroque Tahitians because of the way they emphasize their colors and orient so much more. Sounds to me like you might be a baroque girl, too. Rounds are beautiful and very classic-looking, I think it's just a matter of preference.

Did you ask them about a baroque strand? I think they have lots of loose Tahitians. Also, have you considered a harvest strand? If you loved your old strand for the individual personality of each pearl, a harvest strand might be just the thing to thrill you.

Good luck!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

sortmon|1385573200|3564004 said:
It seems like baroques have much more personality than round pearls. I think someone told me in another thread that baroques also have stronger orient due to their shape and uneven surface.

I'm pretty sure that this is true. Jeremy and several other people have said that baroque tahitians have much more incredible colours than rounds!

I would just send it back and get a shorter strand of gorgeous baroques!

Good luck!

naria

Shiny_Rock

While I think both baroques and rounds are beautiful, I disagree with the assertion that baroques are definitionally more colorful than rounds. Round Tahitians can come with amazingly different body colors and overtones as the bracelet project recently posted shows. I think if I were you, I would try to see if Jeremy/Hisano could put together a custom necklace for you out of their loose stock specifying that you want pearls with a high degree of body and overtone variation. I got a necklace like this made by Jose where he customized some of the pearls in the multicolor necklace to include my favorite Tahitian colors (like strong blue body/overtone), but I'm sure PPs stock is much larger and such a project should theoretically be easier for them.

Anyways: my main point is there doesn't have to be a tradeoff between shape and color. If you prefer the baroque shape, go for it. If you prefer the round shape, work with a supplier to get the necklace of your dreams. It is worth waiting.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Naria, I agree that the recent bracelet someone is having made with round and keshi has exceptional colors. I realize that round pearls have exceptional colors too. But they don't usually have multicolor effect. Lots of circle pearls have multiple colors on one pearl. Round ones do have nice colors but majority of the time you usually see various overtones on grey or silver bodies, still producing only one color on the pearl. There are some round ones with multiple colors on one pearl that produces a halo effect.

For example in this first picture there are some peacock with navy rings, one with almost pink in the center with less intense navy rings. The ones to the left of the picture have green with navy rings and slight copper at the top of the pearls. So what I am trying to say is one pearl can have multicolors. In the second picture, only the 2nd and 3rd pearls from the left have a halo effect creating more than one colors on a single pearl. The rest are single colors, even though technically these have silver body with varying degrees of green overtones and one is silver itself.

img_3429copy.jpg

img4748adjcopy.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks for all the insight! I'm not at my home computer right now so I can't post in detail, but the plot thickens!

I ordered these little 7 pearls from Druzy design a while back but the USPS was slow to deliver. They finally arrived today and I love them! Pics as soon as I'm back home :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131050742384?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

SMC

Ideal_Rock

Hi GemFevee, do you remember what size range the pearls on the round Tahitian strands are? It would help me put the strands I'm considering into perspective.

Thanks!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Glad you are happy with the Drusy D. pearls.. I've checked out those little lots of 5 - 9 pearls at times..they always look so colourful..and it saves buying a whole strand and shipping it from HK UPS for 75$. I've ordered a few little pendant pearls from them and they have always been pretty...maybe not as colourful as the 'glamour shots' but still very pretty...and I'm sure if I got them in exactly the right light they would look like the photo lol

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

I am thinking that the blue shirt you were wearing in the quick shot above might have sucked the color out of the pearls. There needs to be care taken choosing the pearls that go with each color top. The strand is really a lovely one to look at. Go to your closet and hold the pearls up to different shirts and see which one make the colors of the pearls pop. You might have a different view of them if that is the case.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

4Ranch Girl|1385777169|3564988 said:
I am thinking that the blue shirt you were wearing in the quick shot above might have sucked the color out of the pearls. There needs to be care taken choosing the pearls that go with each color top. The strand is really a lovely one to look at. Go to your closet and hold the pearls up to different shirts and see which one make the colors of the pearls pop. You might have a different view of them if that is the case.
This is so true, about different clothing affecting the perception of color of Tahitian pearls. I've taken my strand and held it up to various clothing in my closet, and fine Tahitians will look quite different against different clothing. It is pretty amazing. I've also learned to not judge my pearls quickly. You need to give them time to adjust to your climate. Unpacking pearls in the dark, as I do this time of year, means they will not look instantly as good as pearls received during the warm and sunny summer months when it is still light for several hours after I get home. That is a very fine strand of beautiful Tahitians. Please spend a little more time getting to know these in different lighting and clothing situations.

alice87

Shiny_Rock

Your round pearls look very lovely on you. I agree they don't look as colorful as the glamour shot pictures.
Your returned strand may still be available?
If you feel it was much better for you, but it was too long, may be you can ask if anything could be done about it?
I would certainly agree if you don't feel right about the strand, you don't need to keep it. Just because it is beautiful is not the real reason to keep it. You need to love it to some degree to enjoy wearing it. Good luck on your decision!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

Fly Girl|1385779685|3565008 said:
4Ranch Girl|1385777169|3564988 said:
This is so true, about different clothing affecting the perception of color of Tahitian pearls. I've taken my strand and held it up to various clothing in my closet, and fine Tahitians will look quite different against different clothing. It is pretty amazing. I've also learned to not judge my pearls quickly. You need to give them time to adjust to your climate. Unpacking pearls in the dark, as I do this time of year, means they will not look instantly as good as pearls received during the warm and sunny summer months when it is still light for several hours after I get home. That is a very fine strand of beautiful Tahitians. Please spend a little more time getting to know these in different lighting and clothing situations.

Great advice from both Pearl Queens! Really pearls do need a chance to warm up and should be paired with the right clothing. I also agree with HHPmom that circle/baroque pearls just have more color. My wSS pendant is much more colorful than my round wSS studs (their color is much more subtle)...each is equally beautiful in their own way, but if you are looking for color baroque is the way to go. BTW I think your round Tahitians are gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

You guys are totally right about the clothes. I noticed that with the 50" baroque strand I had before. In anticipation of the round strand's arrival I actually started shopping for "Tahitians clothes" :rodent: Lavender colors, turquoise, nice blacks. I agree that the blue shirt didn't do anything for them, it was just a quick snapshot. My decision to return was based on the first impression. It was a big deal for me to spend over $2K on a pearl necklace, so it really had to be WOW or nothing. That particular strand didn't wow me, so it went back.

Here are a couple quick pics of the little Tahitians (when DH saw them, he was like "is this a sampler or something" :lol: ). I'm really liking the colors. I still want a full necklace from PP that would be a larger (and maybe even better :naughty: ) version of this sampler.

These pics aren't the best, but we still have Thanksgiving guests with us so they are quickies. I'm also not sure I'll keep the pearls with the garnets, I put the necklace together last night. I'm liking it for now. I want to wear the pearls asap, and garnets are the only beads in my beadbox that worked with the Tahitians.

img_4276-2.jpg

img_4271-2.jpg

img_2921.jpg

img_4285-2.jpg

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Love that, GemFever! I had actually been eying those pearls on DD's site, I'm glad to get to see what's done with them. They're gorgeous.

And Fly_Girl, I agree 100% about unpacking them in the evenings - I got some circled Tahitians from DD a few days ago and unpacked them at night and was really disappointed. They seemed so flat compared to the photos on their site. Then the next morning I looked at them in daylight, and they were just stunning. I'm learning just not to inspect pearls at all at night, no matter how excited I am to open a new package!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMHO, one cannot compare baroques with rounds, as baroques naturally have more colour play than rounds due to their irregular surfaces.

Personally, I like the new strand, and believe you had done well with choosing that particular strand.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results