shape
carat
color
clarity

Whole Foods Market

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve only been to Whole Foods once and I''d like to try shopping there more often. My last day of work is the 11th and I plan on cooking a lot more while staying at home. What makes Whole Foods a great place and what are some good items to purcahse?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally prefer Trader Joe''s for financial reasons, but Whole Foods is great (in my opinion) mostly for its atmosphere and quality of product. The produce especially is top notch (at least in our locations), and the deli/salad bar/hot food area is fantastic, really great stuff.

It certainly gets pricey, though.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I think they are great for take out food and they do have lovely produce but it gets expensive very quickly. I''ve never done my shopping exclusively there, but did a shopping run for a friend that had a bad accident and was housebound a few years ago. He east all organic and only shops at Whole Foods. He sent me the list and it was very produce heavy. He doesn''t eat commercial meat (says he only eats it if he knows the farmer) and only got 1/2 lb of fish. I think I also got some olive oil and some seeds of some sort. The bill was over $200!!!! For ONE guy. For the week.

I really like Trader Joe''s for the same reasons Musey mentioned. Good quality, similar products, but less expensive. I also hit the local farmer''s market, which has a wide variety of organic and non-organic produce at great prices. It turns over quickly and I don''t think the quality is any less than what I''ve seen at WF.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FRUIT.

WF has the best fruit hands down I have seen in a market. Unless it''s a farm roadside stand. I don''t even bother buying elsewhere (except maybe a small specialty market).

They also have a great offering of fresh seafoods, and meats. Prepared for grill kind of stuff (already marinated).
Also a great take out section of prepared food. We have the largest WF in the state here and it is crazy how much stuff there is. We go there for lunch a lot. They even have their own sushi bar.

But for me it''s fruit, fresh meats and seafoods. Don''t spend too much on things like organic cereal, chips, etc etc. Oh they also have a great offering of bin things like rice, granolas, beans. It is helpful when you don''t want to buy a BOX of rice or whatever, but just want a serving.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I love, love, love it. Yes, it is expensive. But they do have awesome sale items..and the food is good quality and fresh. I buy mostly on sale meat, fruit, and seafoods. Their pizzas are 2 for the price of one on Tuesdays I believe, excellent deal there. Their hot foods are also awesome! Those get discounted from like 5-7 I think Monday-Friday. Also LOVE their desserts. Now I am hungry..
18.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We shop at WF when we don''t have time or want to make dinner-the prepared stuff is awesome. I also go there for specialty things when I need them. The meat, fish, produce and cheese is superior to any other store in my area. I feel like I can''t go into WF without dropping $50, and that''s for milk, eggs and bread!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
They have many cheeses that I have not seen elsewhere [except at inaccessible specialty shops, maybe]. That is the main reason I go there.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have great produce, wonderful meat and their food to go is great. They are pricey though. We have to drive 50 miles to get to a WF. Rats. The best produce in our town is at Sam''s club. You get twice as much for 1/2 the price so even if some of it is bad you are ahead.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
I''m with Blu, their cheese variety is amazing, I get our Quark & Macarpone cheese there, always creamy fresh. Also have Spelt Pasta & Teriaki Marinade by Organicville in the pantry, I love TJ/WF equally.
25.gif

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I''m excited! I have 6 days until I''m home with the baby everyday and I want to start cooking. Fresh fruit is one my favorites, so I''m looking forward to that. The fresh seafood and meat is appealing also. Grilled salmon...mmmm.

There''s one about 10 minutes from my house and then the WF Central Market is about 15 minutes away.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Courtney do you ever go to Beldens? That is my new favorite shopping place...Central market quality ingredients...great produce and good butcher shop...and the store is never crowded.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i go to whole foods mainly for fruits and if i want to grab a quick lunch, i can''t afford to buy all my groceries there, i go to trader joes as well, but in terms of lunch, WF has a good selection of ready made food, i like the pizza because i can grab little slices of different kinds

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am very conflicted about that place. I love the food there, and I love the selection they have to offer, and I do shop there. However, it is expensive, so I only go there every now and than.

My issue is that they take on any "popular" issue (that has a product they can profit on) regardless of the science behind it and some of the things they stand behind can be dangerous. For example, I saw a women buying raw milk who was of reproductive age, and had a 2 year old in the shopping car. This scares the living daylights out of me because some of the bacteria in unpasteurized milk can cause very serious infections to babies born to mothers colonized with the bacteria and small children. I was even more shocked to find out they lead a campaign against a new CA law that regulated how much bacteria could be in milk. The other thing I take issue with is using a gluten free diet for autism and other behavioral disorders, there is no evidence that that helps and you are taking a stubborn, picky eater, and regulating their diet more. I have seen ads in their stores for workshops for parents of austic kids and this just makes me shake my head. I think that having a variety of gluten free products is important for those with celiac disease, but not for the reasons they are promoting.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 2:52:07 PM
Author: Mara
FRUIT.
Ditto! It can be more expensive, but so worth it in the end. Besides, they have sales, which help with cost.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Their deli is really good. Also, their salad bar is by far better than any other grocery store''s.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
My sister and I love Whole Foods and were really happy when one moved into our area within a 15 minute drive. We generally use Whole Foods for produce, fish and specialty items like cheeses, then drive to the regular grocery store that''s on the way home for staple items like bread, milk, cereal, anything boxed/canned, and meat. We are lucky and the regular grocery store near us has a top-notch meat department.

Yeah, we have to go to two stores, but it keeps costs down. They call it Whole Paycheck for a reason! And there''s really no reason to be buying staples at Whole Foods unless there are special considerations like vegan, gluten allergies, and the like. Whole Food''s produce is really amazing and worth the extra trip. It''s our Saturday morning ritual.
1.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 9:31:56 AM
Author: ts44
They call it Whole Paycheck for a reason!

That is exactly what I was about to say.

Honestly, I do Whole Foods just for the produce. Most everything else I get at Trader Joes. I can''t justify spending sometimes 1/2 again as much for the same exact product.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
They have really delicious vegan donut holes, I also like their soups, and baked goods

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I like their bakery better than any other grocery store, especially ciabbata bread!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m surrounded by Whole Foods markets....the one near my office has long "family style tables" so you are eating and sitting with strangers. It''s sort of like a dreaded holiday dinner with the in-laws.
But spending $11 at the salad bar for lunch is a bad habit.
Instead, I buy 2 small sandwiches for 1.99 each.
Favorite items: peach scones, shredded zucchini pancakes, and anything pasta or macaroni (cold bar).

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Whole Foods but it''s a dangerous place.

What we get at Whole foods: hormone free/organic milk (same or less than other stores), plain (stonyfield) yogurt, bread (sunflower, baguettes), staples (use the bins!), love their granola, some whole foods brand stuff like tea, meat/fish, also sushi. We prefer to eat less meat but from more known sources (but you pay for it). Fruit and veggies are hit and miss. Really check the pricing; one week the strawberries will be 6.99 a quart, next week 3.99 for the same brand and size. Also sometimes they price it by bunch or item versus by pound and it will usually be more expensive than you think.

What I (try) not to buy at WF: They will KILL you on all the impulse/prepared food such as desserts, fancy cheeses and non-food items. We also do the two grocery shop deal where we shop at wholefoods for some things, and other things at Kroger.

What I''m trying to say if you are staying at home and transitioning to shopping at Whole Foods, it can get very expensive very quickly!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:07:32 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
I''m surrounded by Whole Foods markets....the one near my office has long ''family style tables'' so you are eating and sitting with strangers. It''s sort of like a dreaded holiday dinner with the in-laws.

But spending $11 at the salad bar for lunch is a bad habit.

Instead, I buy 2 small sandwiches for 1.99 each.

Favorite items: peach scones, shredded zucchini pancakes, and anything pasta or macaroni (cold bar).
$11!? I spend at least $40 on the salad bar! I can''t help filling up the containers; it''s so good! Mind you I don''t eat it all in one sitting, but I hear the sad tune of the empty wind blowing from my wallet...

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
If you have local farmers markets, I''d highly suggest you going there first. You''ll get top produce and you''re helping the farmers directly. Whole Foods is notorious for treating their growers like crap. My parents are small family farmers, so maybe I''m more sensitive to that. Another great way to get super fresh produce is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) where you buy a subscription for a week''s worth of produce from a local farmer. Just a few thoughts.

You had a lot of positive opinions on Whole Foods, i just wanted to provide a different insight in case you were interested. If you''re not then disregard. :) Sounds like you''re going to enjoy cooking for the baby! Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results