shape
carat
color
clarity

Who will/can set an Apatite?

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
I purchased a beautiful Apatite (thank you again qubitasaurus for your find!) and I'm in a little bit of a pickle because quotes to set have come in a bit higher than expected (from those who are willing to set it). I am wondering if anyone else who has one set can share who set yours?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of setting do you want? You might have better luck with a prong setting than a bezel setting as prongs are less risky for the jeweler.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am also wondering what kind of setting you want, also what the dimensions of the stone are, and what metals you will consider?

It might be worth getting quotes in quite a few metal types (as this will let you see how the cost of materials is effecting the price. I seem to remember the stone was large so it will be important to work out if this had an impact.).

If the stone is a calibrated size, you may be able to buy a prefabricated setting from somewhere like stuller, and simply ask your jeweler to plop the stone into the setting for a fee.

I would query both the above points with your jeweler.

Maybe check out sally at hearts of water's etsy shop. And I think mydaimondzone (ivy and rose) may make adjustments to their stock settings to accommodate slightly anomalous dimensions - hopefully someone will chime in about this who has some experience with mydaimondzone.

edited to add the stuller catalogue which might give a guide on pricing in the desired size.

_38578.jpg

Attachments

• mountings_1.pdf
    14.7 MB · Views: 114

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
mochiko42|1478733153|4096052 said:
What kind of setting do you want? You might have better luck with a prong setting than a bezel setting as prongs are less risky for the jeweler.

Yes a prong setting - both for risk reasons and light. Though I do love bezels :)

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus|1478784706|4096304 said:
I am also wondering what kind of setting you want, also what the dimensions of the stone are, and what metals you will consider?

It might be worth getting quotes in quite a few metal types (as this will let you see how the cost of materials is effecting the price. I seem to remember the stone was large so it will be important to work out if this had an impact.).

If the stone is a calibrated size, you may be able to buy a prefabricated setting from somewhere like stuller, and simply ask your jeweler to plop the stone into the setting for a fee.

I would query both the above points with your jeweler.

Maybe check out sally at hearts of water's etsy shop. And I think mydaimondzone (ivy and rose) may make adjustments to their stock settings to accommodate slightly anomalous dimensions - hopefully someone will chime in about this who has some experience with mydaimondzone.

edited to add the stuller catalogue which might give a guide on pricing in the desired size.

The stone is 13.5mm x 6.5mm, so from what I gather, not calibrated. Plus, do have a little custom modification in mind for the basket (prong set). I had been thinking 14k wg, but I am open to yellow as I think it would look nice with the color of the stone. I did contact Sally and I am currently considering her. Certainly she comes highly recommended here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
duckduckgoose|1478795314|4096385 said:
The stone is 13.5mm x 6.5mm, so from what I gather, not calibrated. Plus, do have a little custom modification in mind for the basket (prong set). I had been thinking 14k wg, but I am open to yellow as I think it would look nice with the color of the stone. I did contact Sally and I am currently considering her. Certainly she comes highly recommended here.
The non-calibrated size is probably why the quotes are coming back higher than expected.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In that case I think you're going great :dance: . I'd love to see pics when you've got it set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results