shape
carat
color
clarity

Who likes to gamble? - Diamond in the rough?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
It followed me home, I swear!
...Well not exactly, but it did call out to my pirate heart from across the wild seas of ebay. And now it's on it's way. :bigsmile:

I know I could have saved up for a perfect diamond with a perfect setting all picked out and neatly paid for, but that seems too easy, and not enough of an adventure. That, and I've been hankering after vintage 8 prong crown heads lately.

It was listed as gold and platinum, .20-.25ct stone and a 16mm inner diameter, but to my eye the stone could be a little bigger than .25ct. Or maybe it's all shallow like a dinner plate? :geek: Can't wait to see it in person!

Have you ever seen such finger fudge? I expect the stone to be sleepy and freckly, and anything else will be a bonus.

Thank you for sharing my experiment.

454eng2.jpg

454eng1.jpg

454eng3.jpg

454eng4.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love that setting!

The "rescue" ebay projects can be the most fun. Looking forward to your pics :))

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think with a good polish it will look amazing! I personally really like the setting.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
It definitely needs a bath! The setting is very pretty. Diamond doesn't look old cut, seems to be pretty flat, but at that size, it may just sparkle like crazy. We'll definitely need "after" photos.

liz

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
GemFever - Yes, I Love "rescue" projects! More than once I've been tempted to buy a piece simply to give it the cleaning it deserves, but this is the first time I've had the chance to try it out. I should start a charity: Ms. Hopedream's Centre for the Rehabilitation and Adoption of Filthy Neglected Jewellery.

Sarahbear - Thanks! - I'm looking forward to see what the setting looks like with a little love. It seems quite thin - maybe just over 1mm wide, so I hope it's not too fragile or bent.

LibbyLa - Yes I don't think it's an old cut, probably not even a tranny - It will be interesting to see if the stone "wakes up" once cleaned. I'm looking forward to hearing it purr in my ultrasonic cleaner.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
sweet!! it could turn out very pretty! please post some 'after' pictures!! :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I threw up a little in my mouth at that photo showing the gunk under the stone :knockout:

Look forward to the "afters"!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Dianabarbara - Yes I'll definately post after pictures - no guarantee on a Cinderella moment though, it might not be a very nice stone.

Dreamer - The gunk is pretty awful isn't it? I'm just pretending it's brown plasticine. I don't want to think about what it really is (ugh! :( :shock: :???: )

Let's play Algebra!

So... if I know the ring has a 16mm inner diameter (This measurement is suspect) and I take the image over to Microsoft publisher (or MS word would work too) and I draw some lines to guess at measurements, then I can guess at the diameter of the stone.

So if 11.05cm on photo = 16mm in real life , then what does 3.65cm = ?

11.05cm photo over 16mm real life = 3.65cm photo over xmm real life

The proportions will be the same because the measurements are the same. We can use the known ratio (11.05cm on photo = 16mm in real life) to convert for the unknown measurement: just cross-multiply and divide.

so (3.65cm times 16mm) divided by 11.05cm = 5.29mm
(The centimeters cancel out because you are multiplying and then dividing by cm)

Assuming close to normal diamond proportions, 5.2mm would indicate about 1/2 ct. (Maybe. Won't know for sure until the ring arrives).

Yay Math!

solve_for_x.png

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like that ring's favorite hobby was gardening—without gloves. Or maybe it was lost in a flower bed or the yard for awhile, then found. There's even gunk caked all under the diamond and packed into the head. Maybe you can do some preliminary cleaning with dishsoap, ammonia, and a soft toothbrush, then take it to your jeweler for cleaning. Mine uses some sort of cleaner that dissolves all kinds of nastiness.

The after photos are likely to be ugly duckling transforming into lovely swan.

liz

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Argh! The ring was shipped march 8th has been held hostage at Canada customs since March 10, and No one can tell me when it will be released. :angryfire:

The Post agent on the phone said packages may be held for up to 6 weeks! I'm a patient person, but this is ridiculous! end rant.

;(

LibbyLA - I love your vision of the ring's gardening hobby. Gardening can be so satisfying and relaxing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hope when I ask sellers to ship from the US, I always tell them to label the contets as "adornment, US made, used" and I also tell them to list the value as the purchase value. I have never had anything held in customs that way, and I import a fair bit. I think sometimes people try to lie or be fancy on the packaging and that is why things get held.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dreamer, That's a good thought for next time!

The seller was shipping from the UK and I think it was being sent signed-for, but I'm not sure how the parcel was labeled. It was supposed to artrive in 5-7 days. I suppose I will find out eventualy, unless it gets turned around and sent back...(Do they do that?).

The ring was sold with a 7 day return policy, but I'm not sure how that will work out if I don't recieve the ring before the 40 day dispute window :confused: . The seller seems reasonable, so I'm not too worried.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they will open the package if they think there is an issue. But this is strange. I have never had anything held by customs! Can you write the seller and ask what she wrote on the package for value and the description of the contents?

I am pretty sure the return period doesn't begin until you get the ring, but the 45 day window with ebay is something you may want to call them about to be on the safe side?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
HopeDream,

I keep checking back to see if Customs has freed your ring...

liz

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Me too, I keep checking to see how that puppy cleans up.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
The ring is still stuck in limbo :| It could be there for a while yet... It's been a little over 2 weeks and they can keep packages in customs up to 6 weeks! I hope it doesn't get turned around and sent back.

I promise I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
It arrived today :))

It's burnt :???: ;(

Trying to decide if I should have it repolished ($$$) or just return it. (Any thoughts?)
The setting is incredibly delicate ~1mm and knife-edged at the bottom.

Without further ado:

avccomp2cropps.png

_5329.jpg

_133.png

_134.png

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
What should I do?

WWPSD?

stones1ps.jpg

hazy2_crop_ps.jpg

stones2ps.png

surface_texture_0.png

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't look like an old cut or tranny to me...reminds me of my mom's splintery modern round. Do you like the stone without the setting? Does it look like it could sparkle if it was cleaned up a bit?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just read up on burned diamonds. Interesting :read:

I would probably return it. Sending it off to get polished would probably cost you nearly as much as the stone itself did (judging by the price you mentioned in the other thread). And even if you can find someone who will do it for "cheap," say $100 or so... plus shipping back and forth... and if you want to get it graded too, that will also add up... the final price of this ring will end up being quite high. For that total budget, you could probably find something even cooler on ebay ;)) At least that's what I would do.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with GemFever - I'd probably return it. Sounds like trying to spruce this stone up will end up costing you, and be a hassle to boot. Sorry this didn't pan out! :sick:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi pandabee - It's a modern RB in what looks like a vintage setting. The stone looks like it would be fairly bright and eye-clean if polished up.

Hi GemFever, you make a good point. Initaly I was only bugeting for the ring and nothing else. Pouring more mony into this project is probably a bad Idea, and I should send it back and save up for something that's already perfect.

But, if it's just a quick polish away from being a G SI1, then even with polishing, it would still be half price of new. hmmm...

You're probably righ Junebug17. Dang. I like diamonds but they're so expensive!

stackattack1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cut is not good in my opinion. I really do think you can do better with a nice old cut for optics. And I would not spend money on it. ETA: What is the millimeter spread and remind me what you paid?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dreamer,
It's about 5mm for less than $320 CAD.

It looks to be fairly high color - no discernible tint that I notice. No black freckles either. The cut isn't great though....

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Decision made:

I've posted it back. I just can't justify sinking more money in to such a casual project.

I wonder what else is out there? :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
HopeDream|1365737047|3425237 said:
I wonder what else is out there? :)

That is the fun bit, and since you send this back, you can buy something else now :devil:

PS: for that price you can get a really well cut OEC in the 5mm range :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results