shape
carat
color
clarity

Who knows Netfilx?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished watching a film on NF online that I really didn''t like.

Now I''m worried it will recommend others based on this one I watched.

Can you back a watched-film out of their record?

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
hi, kenny
35.gif

luckily, Netflix doesn't just assume you liked a movie because you watched it...you can just go back to that movie and rate it--just give it a low-star rating and it will know to avoid those types of movie-suggestions in the future
1.gif

ETA: I LOVE Netflix.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
You can rate it from 1-5 stars and it will then pick movies based on how much you liked this one.

eta: It appears alli_esq beat me to it! The ratings do get kind of fun when you have really wide tastes (or two people doing the rating). DH and I get recommendations for "British Movies" and "Movies with a Strong Female Lead" as well as "Action Adventure" and "Buddy Comedies".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Cool!
Thanks.

I''m an old fart when it comes to technology.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
make sure to rate movies you do like....even if you saw them years ago. netflix will then utilize that info and spit out some recommendations based on your past likes.

mz

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I tend to get offended by what Netflix thinks I will like (not seriously hurt, of course, but annoyed) when they suggest something that is, in my opinion, terrible. I did find, though, that the more I rate, the more on point their suggestions are.

We actually had the person in charge of the department that writes the algorithm to make those suggestions come in to recruit grads in my department. He did a presentation that was very interesting and they put an unbelievable amount of work into it--probably why I take offense.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, rating is key.

Usually the highly rated ones for me don''t interest me. Some of them do, but, usually I just ignore them.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i often wonder how something gets on our list and just why their computer thought it would be a good match.....however, our movie taste is all over the board so i''m sure we confuse it!

mz

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I tried to rate it.
But I had to write an 80-character review.

ARG.

So normally to rate a movie do you have to sit through the credits, then it asks you how many stars?
Is that how it works?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you go to the netflix website, enter your account name and password, access your account and rate any film you''ve ever seen that they have on their list....well, not every film you''ve seen that is on their list but at least 20 if not a lot more to give them an idea for that computer to work with. and rate every movie you get from them. but especially rate this one that you did not like.

mz

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE Netflix. They truly do have something for everybody. I do sometimes wonder at the reccommendations but at the same time they may also introduce me to something I will really like that I hadn''t thought of.
Their customer service is great. I have sent back as many as three scratched DVDs to get one that plays and if they think they haven''t delivered your DVDs fast enough they credit part of your next month''s bill without you even asking.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 10:54:18 PM
Author: kenny
Well, I tried to rate it.
But I had to write an 80-character review.

ARG.

So normally to rate a movie do you have to sit through the credits, then it asks you how many stars?
Is that how it works?
You don''t have to write a review to rate a movie. Just click over the number of stars you want to give and thats it.
3.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Your most recently watched or borrowed movies should appear on your "home page" after you login. All of the movies listed have stars that you just have to click on.

You will get a suggested rating for all the movies in netflix when you hover over them. Their score is based on how you have rated movies and how others have rated movies that like movies similar to you.

Hope that helps.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and i really do repeat my recommendation to rate movies you''ve already seen.....even if not on netflix. the more info they have to work with, the more accurate they can be with their recommendations. if you saw a film at a friend''s home or at the theatre, rate it on netflix if they have it. it doesn''t take very long and you may be happier with what they recommend.

also, don''t forget that you control what they send you. you can make a list of films you want to see and rank them in what order you want to see them.

in the end, you are in control of what you receive.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results