shape
carat
color
clarity

Who knows about beds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OK...so I got a new king bed after sleeping on it in a hotel...it''s from Simmons....it came and after two nights it turns out it is a touch soft for me...I can''t return it since it was a custom order....I totally messed up....e/t the bed isn''t that bed...So I have no real options...

The bed definitely feels firmer in the middle.....some people online say that''s bc that is where the split box spring rails meet, giving the mattress more support there.....Some people also put boards under their beds to make them firmer....

I guess my question is- how does putting something UNDER the soft mattress make the mattress firmer...I understand that if your box spring stinks, that could cause a sagging mattress...but this is brand new...

Any thoughts?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The idea for the boards is basically so you don''t have the extra cushion of the box springs. Any significant amount of weight will transfer to the box springs through your mattress. You could also just remove your box springs and just have your mattress on a "box" or a platform bed.

Another option to try would be a latex topper. You can get a latex topper with different densities to either create a softer top or a firmer support. Our topper for a king size bed ran around $150.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ohh, I'm a "significant amount of weight" for sure LMAO!!!

I actually got a 1/2 inch piece of ply wood ... it is too small in size since I couldn't strap the huge sheets to the car along without hubby...or maybe even with him bc they were so big....some of the pre cut ones were too small....

I didn't put it the long way bc it wasn't wide enough to go the long way and I figured it should get the benefit of the support from the edges of the box spring to keep it from sinking as well.... so I basically put it running under my hips and laying right at the hard edge of the spring and right over the edges where they meet in the middle (bc it's a split bc it's a king)....it actually does work I think.... I think!....I'm going to ask my handyman to get me a big sheet so I can have it run from my neck to below my hips and extend it to hubby's section (running the full width of the bed) so it wears evenly since he doesn't really care...and I read that it should have holes in it for ventilation....There is no way a full sheet the size of the bed is getting up my stairs and I don't really need support past my knees

Thanks Shiny!

Oh, ps...I have a latex topper that I think is firm...it does have a down surround but it's not that thick...I think the plywood will really help and it will be better when it covers basically the whole upper body and hips

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
if it is softer on the sides then tell simmons there is a defect. it happens all the time. i used to sell mattresses and believe it or not i made a good living at it. however, there are problems all the time. and, if you complain to the right person you will get whatever you want. i know that sounds kind of harsh, but i know the way it works

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You mean if it's softer where the bodies are than in the middle? It DEFINITELY is..not by much but a little....I thought it would be firmer in the middle bc that's where the split box springs meet, preventing more give under my weight....the board, leaning on that part of the box spring and the edge of the spring firmed it up...so that wouldn't be normal? Don't forget that it's a king (ie the split boxes...) .... ?

It would also be so much easier if this wasn't a custom order since this bed isn't sold in stores (under that name anyway LOL....)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Oh no!!! I feel bad that I encouraged you to get this mattress! I''m so sorry the new mattress isn''t perfect! I''ve heard the plywood trick works so I hope it is the bed cure you need!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL....don''t be silly! I never need encouragement to spend money haha....AND I slept on it for two days...you would think that would be good enough...
face20.gif
It''s not tht bad....just a touch soft!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results