shape
carat
color
clarity

Who is THE Jeweler Who Designs the Best Vintage Style Engagement Rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

apigscloset

Rough_Rock

Hi PSers, I''''m new to this forum and it''''s an awesome e-ring reference library.

emteeth.gif

I''''ve been obsessively hunting for THE JEWELER who specializes in designing dainty (thin thin bands) micro paved platinum vintage styled engagement rings. It''''s unfortunate that luxury jewerly houses such as Tiffany & Co., Van Cleef & Arpels, Cartier, Martin Katz, etc. are not willing to set your own diamond because their craftmanship is the best. The amount you spend at one of the famous jewelry houses, you can get at least 2 to 3 times cheaper at a diamond dealer.

For the longest time, I thought that Martin Katz custom designed the best delicate vintage e-rings, but after visiting their store last weekend, I realized that their diamonds do not have the fire that they should considering the amount they are asking for ($120K). I also discovered that they do not use platinum. They claim that the micro paves tend to pop out of platinum settings. I just find that very hard to believe since Platinum Smiths like Phillip Press and Leon Mege only use platinum for all their micro paves. I was really disappointed in MK''''s service, they were very inflexible about custom work and they didn''''t provide me any diamond information that I didn''''t already know (in fact contradictory). Also, their sales person was very stiff and fake.

29.gif

I''''m looking for a jeweler with their own workshop who is willing to custom design a setting for my own diamond rather than requiring me to purchase theirs. Someone who speacilizes in dainty settings in platinum and micro pave.

Has anyone purchased an e-ring from Neil Lane, Matin Katz, Leon Mege, Cynthia Wolff, etc? Are there any other extraordinaire jewelers that I don''''t know about? Please post your e-ring and tell me about your experience!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 1:24:03 AM
Author:apigscloset

Hi PSers, I'm new to this forum and it's an awesome e-ring reference library.

emteeth.gif

I've been obsessively hunting for THE JEWELER who specializes in designing dainty (thin thin bands) micro paved platinum vintage styled engagement rings. It's unfortunate that luxury jewerly houses such as Tiffany & Co., Van Cleef & Arpels, Cartier, Martin Katz, etc. are not willing to set your own diamond because their craftmanship is the best. The amount you spend at one of the famous jewelry houses, you can get at least 2 to 3 times cheaper at a diamond dealer.

For the longest time, I thought that Martin Katz custom designed the best delicate vintage e-rings, but after visiting their store last weekend, I realized that their diamonds do not have the fire that they should considering the amount they are asking for ($120K). I also discovered that they do not use platinum. They claim that the micro paves tend to pop out of platinum settings. I just find that very hard to believe since Platinum Smiths like Phillip Press and Leon Mege only use platinum for all their micro paves. I was really disappointed in MK's service, they were very inflexible about custom work and they didn't provide me any diamond information that I didn't already know (in fact contradictory). Also, their sales person was very stiff and fake.

29.gif

I'm looking for a jeweler with their own workshop who is willing to custom design a setting for my own diamond rather than requiring me to purchase theirs. Someone who speacilizes in dainty settings in platinum and micro pave.

Has anyone purchased an e-ring from Neil Lane, Matin Katz, Leon Mege, Cynthia Wolff, etc? Are there any other extraordinaire jewelers that I don't know about? Please post your e-ring and tell me about your experience!
36.gif

www.theartofplatinum.com Read the threads on here. He did a RHR ring for me, and did a great job, but mine didn't have pave...

apigscloset

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Kaleigh. Have you ever purchased a ringfrom Leon M?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had him make me a ring with the center stone being an Oval, with half moons as side stones. It was my 20th anniversary gift. I purchased the Oval from GOG, but had Leon source the half moons for me, and then worked with him on the setting. If you type in Leon Mege in the search box, tons of threads will show up. HTH, good luck and welcome to PS!!!
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kirk Kara (www.kirkkara.com) makes lovely and dainty antique style settings and can also use colored stones. I think his work is comparable to Tacori in style...he makes some really beautiful things.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is another designer, (going to spell her name wrong) Maytai Hoffman, she used to work for Beaudry. I hope someone can give you a link, she does great work.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2007 2:02:17 AM
Author: Kaleigh
There is another designer, (going to spell her name wrong) Maytai Hoffman, she used to work for Beaudry. I hope someone can give you a link, she does great work.
2.gif
kaleigh, is it Maytal? I think maybe that''s the correct spelling of her first name or surname don''t know which...but apigscloset you can do a search for maytal and a bunch of thread will come up, she does do exceptional work and her style is right up your alley!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Leon is AMAZING. What stone do you have that you want to set? I think his work is to die for.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 2:36:09 AM
Author: monarch64

2.gif
kaleigh, is it Maytal? I think maybe that''s the correct spelling of her first name or surname don''t know which...but apigscloset you can do a search for maytal and a bunch of thread will come up, she does do exceptional work and her style is right up your alley!
Yes thanks Monnie.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kaleigh you were SUPER close, hee hee...I don''t know how I happened to remember that spelling but it seems I''ve been good with spelling all my life, especially when it comes to people''s names for some reason. Who were the PSr''s who had Maytal designers is another question that I could never answer off the top of my head but I bet you could!

apigscloset

Rough_Rock
Monarch64, thanks for the suggestion. Kirks designs are beautiful, but not exactly what I''m looking for.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d check out www.maytalhannah.com and Leon Mege. both have wonderful reputations here and do fabulous work. If you are wanting an antique ring done the old school way check out Van Craeynest designs which are die struck. Micky Roof has a large selection of their rings.. link to rings
but these are not custom, nor are the pave covered styles like leon would make.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
THanks Gypsy! Not sure how much help I could be though...I don''t deal with any repro, but apigscloset, have you tried Michael Beaudry? He''s not cheap either though. Personally, not a fan of his style... Does it have to be custom? Have you considered looking at vintage settings then remounting your stone? Personally that could be an option, although if you want a wedding band to perfectly match it won''t work...

I use a guy here in NY for micro-pave, but I am not sure how good he would be a repro work. His look is very clean and excellent quality on micro-pave. People who say platinum micro-pave does not work are clearly the kind who don''t do micro-pave much...

But my best bet would be to try antique rings and reset the stone. If not, I would spend the money on Leon Mege. Sorry i couldn''t be of further help!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maytai Hoffman,
Lisa was confusing jewelry with getting her drink on. Mai tais for everyone for everyone!!
emcocktl.gif
9.gif
And Maytal bling for everyone too! Wheeee.

Maybe it was me who got her drink on a little early.
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 3:41:16 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Maytai Hoffman,
Lisa was confusing jewelry with getting her drink on. Mai tais for everyone for everyone!!
emcocktl.gif
9.gif

5.gif
LMAO!!
31.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 3:41:16 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Maytai Hoffman,

emcocktl.gif
9.gif

5.gif

I want to go to YOUR parties!!
9.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have corresponded with Maytal and she''s wonderful and very thoughtful and enthusiastic. She seems to have terrific attention to detail and she''s very responsive. Her pave work seems to be beautiful.

For truly authentic antique reproductions, Ari @ Singlestone is a good choice too. He is doing my e-ring for me as we speak. I don''t know about the pave/micropave, but his repros are completely handmade and very authentic, down to antique sidestones.

apigscloset

Rough_Rock

Hi Gypsy, Diamondfan, MrsSalvo, Nicrez, FireGoddess, Kaleigh, Angeline, and Ericad:

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I agree that both Leon Mege and Maytal Hannah have excellent craftmanship. Maytal''s designs are very similiar to Michael Beaudry''s collection, which are too heavy looking for me.

Ericad: I went to Singlestone in Downtown LA to check out their collection and they do have a lot of very vintage settings. I can’t wait to see your e-ring! When will you get it?

I''m planning to check out 23rd Street Jewelers and Cynthina Wolff (Britney Spears’ e-ring jeweler) in Sherman Oaks.

I have a 2.16ct round, E color, VVS2 that I’ve been wanting to reset for a few years. I’ve had custom settings made a couple of times for this diamond by two different jewelers. I was very unhappy with the outcome. I have learned a big lesson not to believe jewelers who over promise or ensure you that they can make a style that they have never made before. Also, it is best to just buy exactly what you like already made rather than custom designing because the result isn’t always what you expect. I''m very afraid to try someone who doesn''t usually craft dainty delicate settings.

When I find that perfect jewelry designer that I’m 100% confident in, then I can get my EC e-ring. Through all my research so far, I’ve only seen one setting on a friend that I love but she will not reveal the name of her jeweler. I don’t want the same setting, just the piece of mind that he/she will design me something that I will be satisfied with.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
23rd Street does amazing custom plat settings with very fine detail. Single Stone is different look but nice as well. To me, 23rd does more of a contemporary take on vintage settings, whereas SS does antique reproductions, made directly from originals, IIRC. They also have original vintage settings as well. Enjoy your search! And check out the finer estate jewelry shops as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results