shape
carat
color
clarity

Whitegold and rodium plating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Norah

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend bought an engagement ring that is 18k whitegold. After 5 days of wearing this ring it looks gold. I took the ring back and they said the ring was rodium plated. So now the ring is being plated again. Do you think this is false advertising? They never told us about this when we bought it. So what are they saying? Is the ring a gold ring with rodium plating to make it look like whitegold? I''m confused.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
It's my understanding that white gold is a mix of yellow gold and a white metal (usually nickel). White gold will gradually look a little yellow. My sister has a plain white gold wedding band, but it looks pretty yellow after 6 years of wear. I think the plating temporarily keeps the white gold looking more white than it really is. However, this plating wears off and must be retouched. I don't have any white gold pieces myself, but I would think it should last for more than five days!

There's another thread called white gold vs. platinum with some more information.

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
I don't think the ring was yellow gold. White gold is a different alloy. Like Sumi says, it's to keep the ring shiny but will eventually wear off leaving the ring looking kinda yellow.

I have a three stone ring set in a white gold setting. I think it's about 2-3 years old now. It still looks bright and white. My ering is white gold too.

go back to the store. tell him to fix it! It should be like that in 5 days.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Five days! It should take years for white gold to tarnish with a yellowish tint and good alloys should take so long you would practically never have to face it. No idea what the ring is made of, but if it really got yellowish in a week it is not white gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results