shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash Studs for Wife (Christmas Present)

Alias

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

My wife is an amazing and wonderful person who has worked so hard this year and really deserves a great gift!
I purchased her beautiful engagement ring from WF (ACA) approximately 3 years ago.

She has always wanted diamond stud earrings and I think this year I will get them for her (finally).
I have already called WF and did some research myself, but I ask the users of PS for some advice, same as I did for the engagement ring :)

Looking for ~1.0 tcw, H, VS2. I am willing to go down to I but am worried about the color.

1. Do you think we will be OK with I or should we stick with H? The price difference seems to be around $200.

2. In an H color I see options such as:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=3660685&Diamond2=3660688

But taking a look at the AGS reports I see quite a few crystals and clouds on the report. Should I be concerned about this?

3. Setting...I have no clue what type of setting she would prefer. I heard 3 prong is typically the most popular. As they will be worn most days, I believe I should pick platinum. Any input here?

Thank you in advance for your assistance PS!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go with I color for studs and go up in size. I prefer 4 prong or 6 prongs settings for studs because I like the symmetry and the security of more prongs. If you think she'll upgrade them, don't pay for plat now and stick with white gold.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like a 3 prong setting. 4 prongs gives a squared off look I don't like and I think 6 will overwhelm a 1/2 ct stone. I've heard some people complain that a 3 prong martini setting digs into their ears but I haven't experienced that and I wear mine nearly everyday and sleep with them in

I'm a platinum lover but it doesn't seem worth it for studs, so I went with 14K white gold and am very happy

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $200 I would stick with the H color studs. Have WF pull those stones for you for a birds eye view. I agree with others - if you think you will upgrade just stick with the white gold for now. I prefer a four prong setting myself - I've had the martini settings and didn't find them particular comfortable. I like a four prong setting with a flat base so that they set level on the ear and stand out a bit more but it is personal preference of course.

Alias

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the input thus far! It is likely that we would not upgrade these stones but cannot say for certain.

Any input on the images on the diamond cert? Also, any other pair suggestions?

Thanks!

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful gift! I don't think you can go wrong with a pair of ACA studs;-)

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the 3 prong martini studs, and they are perfectly comfortable for me. My studs are around .75 tcw. I wear them 24/7.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stick with solid colored metals, though the plating on white gold should last quite a while as compared to a band. I like this setting with 6-prongs (to avoid the squared off look) and security over 3 prongs.

https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/6-prong-martini-earrings-2313.htm
If you look through the "recently purchased" they look quite nice with smaller stones.

I like the diamonds you found. Here is an option if you want the size a bit bigger (:whistle:)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=3317450&Diamond2=3327383

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-21_20-59-38.png
    upload_2017-11-21_20-59-38.png
    775.6 KB · Views: 97

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
I have 0.7ctw WF studs (I colour) with the 8 prong setting - doesn't overwhelm the stone (in my opinion). I prefer 6-8 prongs but it's just preference! Here is their pic. Have worn them every day for close to 3 years and extremely happy. Im sure your wife will be thrilled!! 20171122_135237.png

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can’t go wrong with ACA studs. I think H or I are a good call. I have 1 ctw ACA studs and they are set in the 8 prong settings and I don’t think they overpower the diamonds.

Alias

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the input!
How concerned should I be about the diamond grading reports. Looking at some of them and seeing a lot of red feels intimidating and that the diamond is in someway compromised compared to reports that show less red. How should I be interpreting these marks?

Correct me if I am wrong, but ideally you want as less red as possible. If there is 'some' red, I guess I have to consider the clarity grade. If it's a VS2 the inclusion is likely not visible unless you use a loupe.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Can you clarify what you mean by "red"? Do you mean inclusions on the plot of the diamond?

For earrings (vs a ring which you tend to look at/inspect quite often) - i think the cut (light return) is the most important rather than clarity. I picked SI clarity ACA studs - and I cant see anything when looking at them or when enlarged on camera phone settings (5x). For a ring or larger stone i prefer VS stones but i think you can save money & increase total carat weight by relaxing clarity a little with earrings......especially with safety of ACA brand. Again- just my opinion!!

Alias

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Mondayschild! Yup I mean the inclusions on the plot.
I am certain I want to stick with VS2, but even though I see quite a few inclusion on the plot. Just wondering how I should be thinking about them. Should I avoid diamonds with more inclusions etc...

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS stones will be eye clean at any distance viewed on the ears. One may be able see some tiny inclusion on a VS stone from say 6 inches while turning it around in certain lighting.

But if anyone is closer than 6 inches to your wife's ear, inclusions will be the least of your worries:lol:

Drop to si1 and you could increase size or go up in color, maybe both :whistle:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have ACA's about 1.3 ctw H, SI1s. WF said they were eye clean in the listing and I don't see any inclusions. They sparkle like crazy in my ears. So I agree, that if WF says the stones are eye clean, and also since you say you doubt you will upgrade later, i'd go for I color and SI1 and get a bit more weight. As far as martini, 4, 6 or 8 prongs, that's personal preference. I had martini's once and noticed that they didn't sit exactly face forward in one of my ears because one of the piercings wasn't entirely straight. So I didn't like that and changed it to a 3 prong basket which works well. I agree a 4 prong may make them look a bit square. So I prefer 6 or 8 prongs over 4. I actually think the WF 8 prong settings are really nice and don't overpower even the smaller stones. I have them for my 1.3s.
Lovely gift, by the way. I'm sure she will be happy with whatever you choose.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very safe with VS2 for studs! My ACA studs are H VS2 and that's my favorite combination! However, many people here have I color and they look great, too! I'd just want both stones the same color whichever you go with. Like MissGotRocks, I like an even number of prongs and a flat base so the ear hole doesn't stretch. So I'd go with the 4 prong ones. I only changed to custom 6 prongs (still with a flat base) when I reached my final upgrade!

ChrisRock

Rough_Rock
Haven't been on PS for a while, but I am looking for some earrings exactly like these. Awesome to see that I can be away for so long, come back to PS, and still get such good info. I think I will be stopping by WF next week.

Alias

Shiny_Rock
I have tried that before and WF agreed either pair would work, just looking for other opinions :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results