shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash sending the diamond i got from them to Ags to be verified- is it normal?

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
Hi i recently decided get my diamond upgraded, the reps told me it will only take 2-3 days for my original diamond to get verified but then i received an email saying they will be sending the diamond to Ags for verification. Has anyone experienced this?

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
They told me it will take 2-3 days for verifications so when i heard them saying we will send it to Ags and it will take 4 weeks, i got surprised. As I already purchased the upgrade diamond - i got panicked thinking if Ags doesnt verify the diamond then i would pass the 30 day return for the new one and might end up with 2 diamonds... Not sure how it could happen though i’ve never ever left my diamond to a jeweler or anybody else... Its just that i would like to be safe then sorry.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I’m sure that the inspection period is from the time you take possession of the new diamond. Do you have it already or are you waiting until your old stone gets back from AGS?

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
I’m sure that the inspection period is from the time you take possession of the new diamond. Do you have it already or are you waiting until your old stone gets back from AGS?

I first got the new diamond and when I decide its the one, I send back my old diamond in. I'll send the new diamond back for resetting anyways so it will be back with them in couple of days. Maybe I can ask to rebuy it once my old one clears out from AGS.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a general FYI:
On Whiteflash's current** web page re the Trade-Up policy, the last sentence of the text under the Whiteflash Diamonds heading says
Please allow two weeks for lab verification and processing.

And also under Special Circumstances, near the bottom of that same page, which sounds like @Caglapek's situation:
In certain cases, because of timing or when the upgrade is a surprise, clients may wish to take delivery of the new trade up diamond before sending their original diamond back for credit. We can accommodate these requests with the following understandings:
The new diamond must be paid in full before it can be shipped. All returned diamonds must be sent to the certifying laboratory to verify they are in original condition. Upon lab verification a refund will be issued. Please allow approximately two weeks for the process to be completed and a refund issued.

I imagine WF's recent/current experiences with AGS indicate that AGS needs a longer window of time right now to do the turn-around, so that's why you were told it could take 4 weeks.

** Want to emphasize "current" 'cause any vendor's policies and/or descriptions of their processes may change over time. Consequently, what appears on a vendor's page today may not be the same, e.g., next year. So that's why I think it's a good idea to make a print-out or PDF of the relevant web page(s) at the time you make a purchase -- and hold onto the receipt plus whatever other paperwork you receive, so you'll have it for future reference. :))

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I first got the new diamond and when I decide its the one, I send back my old diamond in. I'll send the new diamond back for resetting anyways so it will be back with them in couple of days. Maybe I can ask to rebuy it once my old one clears out from AGS.

I see. So, as @MollyMalone posted, it sounds like you paid for the new stone in full and then you will get a refund for your old diamond once it clears the AGS recertification.

I‘m thinking that your old stone will be verified by AGS before your 30 day inspection period on the new stone is up, but I would definitely check with your sales associate about this. I’m sure they understand that you don’t want to be “stuck” with two diamonds.

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
As a general FYI:
On Whiteflash's current** web page re the Trade-Up policy, the last sentence of the text under the Whiteflash Diamonds heading says
Please allow two weeks for lab verification and processing.

And also under Special Circumstances, near the bottom of that same page, which sounds like @Caglapek's situation:
In certain cases, because of timing or when the upgrade is a surprise, clients may wish to take delivery of the new trade up diamond before sending their original diamond back for credit. We can accommodate these requests with the following understandings:
The new diamond must be paid in full before it can be shipped. All returned diamonds must be sent to the certifying laboratory to verify they are in original condition. Upon lab verification a refund will be issued. Please allow approximately two weeks for the process to be completed and a refund issued.

I imagine WF's recent/current experiences with AGS indicate that AGS needs a longer window of time right now to do the turn-around, so that's why you were told it could take 4 weeks.

** Want to emphasize "current" 'cause any vendor's policies and/or descriptions of their processes may change over time. Consequently, what appears on a vendor's page today may not be the same, e.g., next year. So that's why I think it's a good idea to make a print-out or PDF of the relevant web page(s) at the time you make a purchase -- and hold onto the receipt plus whatever other paperwork you receive, so you'll have it for future reference. :))

this is so helpful thank you

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
I see. So, as @MollyMalone posted, it sounds like you paid for the new stone in full and then you will get a refund for your old diamond once it clears the AGS recertification.

I‘m thinking that your old stone will be verified by AGS before your 30 day inspection period on the new stone is up, but I would definitely check with your sales associate about this. I’m sure they understand that you don’t want to be “stuck” with two diamonds.

Yes that’s exactly what it is. I paid upfront and then when Ags clears out i would get a refund for my original but i definitely don’t want to miss my return period in case somehow it doesn’t pass. even though i can think of no reason i’m just trying to be safe.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would simply ask WF to clarify the details in an email so there are no misunderstandings later on by either party.

Also WF is very meticulous in their intake of stones and follows a written process in accordance with their ISO certification.

My point being WF has inspected the stone internally and sending to the lab for re-verification as this is procedure. A good question to ask is if they saw anything of concern during their intake. Although honestly I think they would have mentioned if they did as they are a very transparent company that would prefer to get ahead of a potential issue rather than deal with it on the backside.

While I understand the concern, you are in good hands. They too have a vested interest in a successful outcome, and I have zero doubts they will be expeditious and fair in their dealings with you.

@Texas Leaguer can comment on more specifics.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes that’s exactly what it is. I paid upfront and then when Ags clears out i would get a refund for my original but i definitely don’t want to miss my return period in case somehow it doesn’t pass. even though i can think of no reason i’m just trying to be safe.
Ask your rep about it they may already have a policy in place for that case.
edit: What @sledge said.

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
I would simply ask WF to clarify the details in an email so there are no misunderstandings later on by either party.

Also WF is very meticulous in their intake of stones and follows a written process in accordance with their ISO certification.

My point being WF has inspected the stone internally and sending to the lab for re-verification as this is procedure. A good question to ask is if they saw anything of concern during their intake. Although honestly I think they would have mentioned if they did as they are a very transparent company that would prefer to get ahead of a potential issue rather than deal with it on the backside.

While I understand the concern, you are in good hands. They too have a vested interest in a successful outcome, and I have zero doubts they will be expeditious and fair in their dealings with you.

@Texas Leaguer can comment on more specifics.

Thank you so much! @sledge

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
This seems typical of vendors with trade in policies. BGD is doing the same with my stud earrings I sent in.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the middle of upgrading and I was told the verification with the lab can take up to 4 weeks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now, AGS is unusually slow apparently due to Covid restrictions. I imagine they have reduced staff working at any specific time. I waited until mine were verified by AGS to go through with the upgrade of my new diamonds for studs.

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
I think WF does their own verification, then sends it in. Mine took a bit under 2 weeks (7 business days, I think), but not to worry, this is totally standard.

Plus, when they relist it, they can have a fresh/new AGS cert vs something from like 5-10 years ago, which may matter for people looking to buy.

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
I think WF does their own verification, then sends it in. Mine took a bit under 2 weeks (7 business days, I think), but not to worry, this is totally standard.

Plus, when they relist it, they can have a fresh/new AGS cert vs something from like 5-10 years ago, which may matter for people looking to buy.

hi when did you send it? Was it kust recently? i’m tight with timeas i’ll be gone for 2 months during summer hence i’m asking. It makes sense my Ags certificate was looking a little dull compared with the new diamonds.

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
hi when did you send it? Was it kust recently? i’m tight with timeas i’ll be gone for 2 months during summer hence i’m asking. It makes sense my Ags certificate was looking a little dull compared with the new diamonds.

Oh, I understand your anxiety! Did you tell WF you have tricky timelines you’re working on? I’m sure they will do their best to accommodate, at least what they can control!

I did this in March. It may be quicker now than expected as more people get vaccinated and more states/businesses open up!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi i recently decided get my diamond upgraded, the reps told me it will only take 2-3 days for my original diamond to get verified but then i received an email saying they will be sending the diamond to Ags for verification. Has anyone experienced this?

Perhaps sometimes they can verify with certainty it is the same diamond they sold and has been returned in perfect condition.
I suspect they could reasonably do that, in house, in 2-3 days.

But if any questions or uncertainty about even minor damage arrises which might change grades (such as a little chip or scratch) it's also understandable they'd need to send it to the lab to verify grades, and if grades changed get a new report.

They owe that to the next buyer of that diamond.
If the new lower grade was not their fault they should not have to pay for it.

Also if it their upgraded policy states the old stone's new value that applies to the new diamond has changed because of grade or weight changes it may reduce the credit applied to your new upgrade diamond.

While I'm just guessing about all this, it all sounds reasonable and fair to me.

Assuming I'm not talking nonsense, then perhaps they should have told you if the 2-3 day verification finds issues the diamond will be sent to the lab, which may take X weeks.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that unless a relatively very short amount of time has passed since the original grading report, it goes to the lab regardless if damage is suspected or not.

That is good business IMO.

As @flyingpig noted, it sets the slate clean for all parties. How many times have we saw other vendors with outdated reports and the first thing stated is to get an updated report?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our process of re-certifying trade-up and buy-back diamonds has not changed, although timelines at the labs have at times been longer than normal over the past year due to the pandemic. GIA is running 3-4 weeks now as well, due not only to internal challenges, but challenges along the whole supply chain including the delivery services.

Our internal inspections are still completed within 2-3 days, but at the present time AGS is running long. However, it should be noted that it is rare for there to be any issues after the diamond has passed our review. In cases where the lab does spot something like a scratch or chip, it is usually very minor.

We did not see anything in this case that would suggest a problem, so we fully expect the diamond to go through the re-certification process without issue.

@Caglapek , we are prepared to make accommodations and provide assurances in light of your timeline. I believe your rep will be in touch soon with those assurances if she has not already. Thank you for your patience!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
My cert is from GIA and goes back to 2007 (this is my first upgrade.. man I'm slow.. :lol: )
so it makes sense that WF would want a new cert.

I did get an estimated ship date of 6/2 today which makes me very happy.

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
Our process of re-certifying trade-up and buy-back diamonds has not changed, although timelines at the labs have at times been longer than normal over the past year due to the pandemic. GIA is running 3-4 weeks now as well, due not only to internal challenges, but challenges along the whole supply chain including the delivery services.

Our internal inspections are still completed within 2-3 days, but at the present time AGS is running long. However, it should be noted that it is rare for there to be any issues after the diamond has passed our review. In cases where the lab does spot something like a scratch or chip, it is usually very minor.

We did not see anything in this case that would suggest a problem, so we fully expect the diamond to go through the re-certification process without issue.

@Caglapek , we are prepared to make accommodations and provide assurances in light of your timeline. I believe your rep will be in touch soon with those assurances if she has not already. Thank you for your patience!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, truly appreciated. Liza contacted me already, and I'm grateful for all the help.

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
Hi I wanted to give an update- it didn't take a month for my stone to be verified- was maybe a week or 10 days, I'm so happy with Whiteflash- suggest it to anyone looking to make an update in the future. Thank you @sledge for all your help and support, @Texas Leaguer for a great customer service and for a great company!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
AGS is very backed up due to the shutdown so it could very well take 4 weeks.
The super ideals will be sent back to AGS. They are not going to sell their stones without a new report detailing the stone’s current condition. A stone could possibly require repolishing to bring it to the level expected of a SI. And that could change the weight ever so slightly so everything has to be documented to provide accurate information. This protects the future buyer of that stone (which could be anyone of us!).
I’m sure the wait is agony. You should look to your SA for clarification on this. Ultimately, congrats on your upgrade!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS is very backed up due to the shutdown so it could very well take 4 weeks.
The super ideals will be sent back to AGS. They are not going to sell their stones without a new report detailing the stone’s current condition. A stone could possibly require repolishing to bring it to the level expected of a SI. And that could change the weight ever so slightly so everything has to be documented to provide accurate information. This protects the future buyer of that stone (which could be anyone of us!).
I’m sure the wait is agony. You should look to your SA for clarification on this. Ultimately, congrats on your upgrade!

See her update above your post - it only took 7-10 days! That is wonderful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results