shape
carat
color
clarity

White Sapphires vs Blue Sapphires vs Diamonds, Opinions Pls

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I axed my plan to use my princess-cut Montana sapphires flush-set in a new wedding ring; think I'll save them for pave sometime. They need more light exposure.

So I am thinking of ordering this ring but asked for 9 stones instead of the 7 pictured here:

Price quoted is surprisingly inexpensive. Blue sapphires would be super, but I doubt for the cost that she will be able to get 9 well-matched sapphires that wouldn't darken too much set that way -- I have a similar pair of hoop earrings I never wear because the sapphires look almost black. So -- diamonds or white sapphires: cost for 9 diamonds is $125 more than for 9 white sapphires. That's a big percentage of the total price. And I'm working on another project for more $$$ with Daniel M. (I hope.)

Is the performance of flush-set diamonds vs white sapphires worth the extra moolah? Need your experienced opinions!

--- Laurie

il_37.jpg

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Re: White Sapphires vs Blue Sapphires vs Diamonds, Opinions

I'd say yes, but I really don't like white sapphires overall. I know some folks appreciate the look, but to me they always just look like diamonds without the sparkle. I'd go for blue sapphires and specify that they be lighter toned, or bite the bullet and get the diamonds.... but that band looks like it'll be lovely however you do it! :razz:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laurie, I agree with cm366. I would go for the diamonds or blue sapphires that wouldn't darken too much in the setting. White sapphires don't have the life that diamonds do IMO and don't have the pretty blue color that blue sapphires do and that is why my last choice of your 3 would be the white sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto Missy and CM. Unless you happen to like plain white (very little dispersion), either go for a lighter blue or fork out extra for real diamonds. I am picky about my diamonds though, so if they are going to be cloudy, then I'd prefer lighter blue sapphires.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Thank you, all. I'm gonna drive this poor girl nuts, but can't help it! I had that thought about white sapphires -- have some white sapphire hoops that I hate -- no sparkle at all, but didn't know if that's typical or they were just poor quality -- bought them long before PS happened to me.

OK, so it's can she do light enough sapphires and let's find out more about the diamonds she uses. Here goes. Thanks again!

--- Laurie

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

I actually think non-matchy-matchy lighter sapphires would look really pretty. I can't find a ring that has the look I am thinking of at the moment, gut this image sort of give the effect - http://www.tileshowroom.com/product/GT086SAP/Circle-Staggered-Tile---Sapphire-Blue.html

If you did want to make them look more matched but couldn't find the right 9, you could go for 8 and alternate with diamonds, getting the need down to 4, which shouldn't be hard. Also, even if they aren't PERFECTLY matched, the intervening diamond will help break up the direct comparison.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I see what you mean, Velouria, good illustration. Now you made me think how cool it would be to use all different stones & colors -- except this is for an everyday ring -- I'm going to keep it in mind for someday. I'm waiting to hear back on the clarity & color of the diamonds she uses, then will decide. Thanks!

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just something to consider ...... some white sapphires are bright and sparkly and really quite pretty BUT others can look cloudy and dull with very little sparkle. You commonly find these so if you go down the white sapphire route it'd be good to ensure you see them before setting. I have a couple of white sapphire pieces and like them but it's not normally my first choice but can be a cheaper option.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't know if this helps but this is a white sapphire ring. These are fairly good quality but would never fool anybody who knows about gemstones. Although these are good they still look flatter than diamonds - does that make sense?

garnet_umbalite_garnet5_1_1.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I know what you mean, LD. Gorgeous ring anyway, I've drooled over that puppy.

I wanted to know what quality of diamonds she uses before coughing up the extra. VS, G or H. So I made the order, same ring as above, with 2 more diamonds than shown. Still may not happen -- she asked for full payment now. I offered her 60% instead -- not going to pay in full before it's done, though she has 100% pos. feedback on Etsy. If she won't take that, the deal is over. Her stuff is really nice.

--- Laurie

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous ring, LD! Are all the white stones sapphires or just the larger ones? Very cool! (*Different* than diamonds, but very cool!) Searching for a thread on the backstory...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rather unusual for a vendor to ask for full payment upfront. Is it because she's concerned that you might be a "difficult" customer by all these questions you've asked?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

velouriaL|1366764021|3433296 said:
Gorgeous ring, LD! Are all the white stones sapphires or just the larger ones? Very cool! (*Different* than diamonds, but very cool!) Searching for a thread on the backstory...

Not sure you'll find anything! I bought this ring because of the setting and it had a really horrible central stone! I took it out (threw it away actually :lol: ) and then put this stone in!!! All of the stones are white sapphires - no diamonds at all.

JewelFreak - I agree that you shouldn't be giving the vendor 100%. That's most unusual. Most Etsy vendors take a deposit and then the remainder on completion so even 60% is high. Have you asked her why?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

LD & Chrono, when I asked about payment, she answered, "deposit or payment in full." The phrase "Payment in Full" always rings a loud gong, even when there's an "or" in the sentence -- I've had vendors get cranky when I opt for the deposit (not on Etsy). I emailed her & said Nuh-uh to full payment till it's done -- she answered this a.m. that she is totally ok with that. I offered 60% because I might as well get rid of the money before I spend it on something else. :mrgreen:

Her feedback is great & her designs imaginative. I'd love to have quite a number of her rings! Once this project is done & I have the full experience, I'll report on her.

LD, I wish I had the knack you & others have for finding rings whose settings you can re-use -- I look & look, but what I like seems too expensive, as if I'm paying for stones in it that I won't use. I sure admire your detective skills!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My limited experience with 2 Etsy vendors is only the CAD fee upfront, which might be $300 or so, then the balance upon completion. 60% is too much and could be earning interest for you in the bank. Okay, so the interest is pittance but it's really the principal of it. :lol: With 60% in the vendor's pocket, you have less "power" should a disagreement crop up.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1366801714|3433543 said:
LD & Chrono, when I asked about payment, she answered, "deposit or payment in full." The phrase "Payment in Full" always rings a loud gong, even when there's an "or" in the sentence -- I've had vendors get cranky when I opt for the deposit (not on Etsy). I emailed her & said Nuh-uh to full payment till it's done -- she answered this a.m. that she is totally ok with that. I offered 60% because I might as well get rid of the money before I spend it on something else. :mrgreen:

Her feedback is great & her designs imaginative. I'd love to have quite a number of her rings! Once this project is done & I have the full experience, I'll report on her.

LD, I wish I had the knack you & others have for finding rings whose settings you can re-use -- I look & look, but what I like seems too expensive, as if I'm paying for stones in it that I won't use. I sure admire your detective skills!

--- Laurie

That make much more sense Laurie. I'd be ok with that. I do agree with Chrono that you might be better just paying the normal deposit becaue if something goes wrong you've potentially lost 60%.

BTW (off topic) it was my birthday last Friday so I finally got the Tiffany necklace that you helped me with!!! Let me know if you want to see pics x

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You will not get sparkle from the white saphs. Spend the bucks now or you will probably regret it later. It is an improtant ring.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Hey, LD, you GOT IT!! :appl: :appl: Of course I want to see pics! Modeled by you, naturally. How exciting!!!

If this had been a more complicated project I would not have offered (or agreed) to pay such a big upfront %, but it's so simple; CADs not even required. I could have bought it ready-made off her site, but wanted a couple more diamonds in it. Otherwise, it's the same ring she sells standard. She's very cooperative & a good communicator, her pos. feedback is 100%, her pieces are nicely made. This baby, for what it is, is imo a bargain -- more than I'd like to lose, but I'm not going to.

As for interest, Chrono, (btw, you should go to your room for that pun!), are you kidding? I have an interest-bearing checking acct & last month's takings were 2 whole cents! :errrr: I doubt 3 wks' interest on the deposit would even be measurable. Aren't these wonderful times!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JF,
You caught on to the pun. :lol: My local back only gives me 8 cents a month but my online account a whole lot more, which is usually where I stash the bulk of my cash. Gone are the days of 8% interest rates. I would still go for the CAD. Why? To see the placement and setting distance of the melees since you are adding more stones and potentially coloured stones. Any time there is an alteration to the standard, there is the risk that it might not be to your liking and once cast, there is no going back.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interestingly I disagree with Chrono (doesn't happen often ;-) ) but I wouldn't bother with CADs for this. The stones will either be scattered or in a line in the middle. So long as the stones are evenly spaced (and I doubt whether this Etsy vendor will get that wrong as Laurie says she has great feedback and photos of the same ring) I wouldn't bother. The only thing I would do Laurie is tell her that you're anally attentive (if you are) to ensuring the spacing is even!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I've already told her that, LD, that I want them evenly spaced & in a straight line. They kind of have to be -- it's only 2.5 mm wide. Looks wider in the photo, but narrower is exactly what I'd rather have so it can be worn with other rings. Chrono, also, I went with only diamonds, no colored stones.

So, LD, where is the necklace?????

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, I did not realize you are doing a straight line, not scattered. In that case, CADs are unnecessary. Having only all diamonds make it a cinch too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

For small stones, I would do white diamonds. It's worth to save on larger stones (like side stones) and go to white sapphire, but because of the small size and b/c it's an important piece, I would do diamond.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since we are on the subject of white sapphires as an economical diamond substitute, I think we are in agreement that the white sapphires do not have the flash, sparkle or brilliance as diamonds. From a cost perspective, if the flash, sparkle or brilliance was not at issue could there be other economical substitutes such as white topaz and genuine rock crystal? Can white topaz and rock crystal be cut to look good? Which would have the more sparkle?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Then it becomes a durability issue because when the crown facet gets chipped, it is impossible to replace the stone due to the gypsy setting, so sapphires are going to hold out much better than quartz or topaz or whatever else.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Durability aside, "Rock Crystal" (quartz) and Topaz, are even less-brilliant and dispersive than Sapphires, so those wouldn't look good. The only natural gemstone that has optical properties close to Diamond is White Zircon. They are heated, but natural. Excellent fire/dispersion, and brilliance. They also have durability concerns though.

Diamonds are the best option for brilliance, dispersion, and durability...

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

I have to say I kind of like the brightness of white sapphires. Very different from diamonds but pretty in their own way.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

How about white spinel? Has anyone ever seen any?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

White spinel isn't all that common, in addition to having a tinge of lavender or gray in almost all of them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results