shape
carat
color
clarity

white gold solder in platinum ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimbeeann

Rough_Rock
I am pretty sure my platinum diamond setting is soldered to my platinum engagement ring with white gold. The area all around where the two platinum pieces meet has turned yellow.

I was told that I can have my ring plated in rhodium to cover up the yellowing.

We didn''t pay a lot of money only to find that white gold was used on my ring!

Is this common? Is a white gold solder better than a platinum one?

What if I were allergic to gold?

I feel like we were mislead by our jeweler! Should I have my ring re-soldered with platinum?

Thanks for any advice!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of soldering....Why did you do it?

I am not sure exactly what you meant, but once one of my settings had 14kt white gold "added" to the platinum mounting (it was supposed to be platinum). It turned a yellow/brown that was very noticable. Needless to say, I made sure they refunded, and then went to a more reputable jeweler.

If you were misled (be sure you were by having the metal tested), then go back and demand a refund
29.gif

You really should not mix 14kt or 18kt white gold with platinum (unless in certain, rare circumstances)....Normally platinum is used for prongs with yellow gold (fyi).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have it soldered in Plat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results