shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or rose gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White gold. I don't want to do stacking bands afterall, don't care for them. So, I want to do a three stone band, and I need help deciding!!

TLdiamonds_wg.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold??

TLdiamonds_rg.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold by herself.

TLdiamond_rg.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fuzzy far away shot, but at least it shows the true color better without the camera shadow making it look so dark.

TLfuzzyshot.JPG

E B

Ideal_Rock
White. While I love rose gold, I feel like the color of the metal competes with the color of the stones.

What a fun project- I can't wait to see the final result!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fuzzy far away shot with white gold.

If people think they look hideous with both wg and rg, that''s fine. Be honest!!

TLfuzzyshot2.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I kindda like the rose gold myself. It looks ''rich''.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL, when I looked at the pics, I was surprised at what I picked up. When I looked at the diamonds with the white gold, my eyes were drawn to the colors of the diamonds. When I looked at the diamonds with the rose gold, my eyes immediately noticed the richness and color of the rose gold. The rose gold definitely has sex appeal, and it''s very unique, but it stole my attention away from the diamonds.

What is your end goal? Making the diamonds stand out or the setting? The rose gold definitely has a strong personality and it''s hard to ignore.

But that''s just what I see.
28.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I like the lavender one with rose gold and the other ones with whte gold.....???

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 11:33:13 PM
Author: platinumrock
TL, when I looked at the pics, I was surprised at what I picked up. When I looked at the diamonds with the white gold, my eyes were drawn to the colors of the diamonds. When I looked at the diamonds with the rose gold, my eyes immediately noticed the richness and color of the rose gold. The rose gold definitely has sex appeal, and it''s very unique, but it stole my attention away from the diamonds.

What is your end goal? Making the diamonds stand out or the setting? The rose gold definitely has a strong personality and it''s hard to ignore.

28.gif
I want the diamonds to be the center of attention. Thanks PR!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:39:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I want the diamonds to be the center of attention. Thanks PR!

I would go with white gold in this case then.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 11:33:45 PM
Author: mochi
I like the lavender one with rose gold and the other ones with whte gold.....???
Unfortunately Mochi, I''m trying to steer towards one metal color, but I might have to go custom and do two colors.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a far away fuzzy shot of all three with the rose gold.

TLfuzzyshot3.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:33:13 PM
Author: platinumrock

28.gif

PR said exactly what I was thinking too. The rose gold is lovely but my attention is drawn more towards the gold than the diamonds - I recommend white gold to let the stones stand out
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked them with the yellow gold.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think that the center diamond, it appeared to have more color with the rose gold. But I am not sure if rose gold would be best for all three diamonds. I know I probably didn''t help, but those are my thoughts.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I think that the diamonds look they will stand out more in white gold
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hrmm..what style of ring are we talking TL? TBH it is difficult, as I like how the WG looks nice and cool next to the centre stone, but I feel it doesn''t do much for the sides..whereas the rose looks lovely with the sides.

I know you said you didn''t want 2 tone, but I think that would work very well with these (depending on the design of course).
Sorry I know thats not what you want to hear!
Have you tried yellow? No go?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Rose gold IMO brings out the best from stones, making their colors warmer and richer. But it also acts as a distraction, to a point. Therefore I''d probably go with rose, but make sure metal is cut down to a minimum i.e. as less visible as possible (so that it influences colors of stones, without drawing attention). But it also depends on the design. I find myself loving the desings in one metal and feeling nothing when seeing them done in another one. I guess you could browse the internet for something that looks close to what you''d like for these stones, and see if rose or white gold comes up more often. Yellow could also be used.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for their additional comments. I did find one white gold substantial three stone trellis setting on ebay for a very good price. I don't want to go custom and do two tone, but the huge problem is finding a rose gold three stone setting to fit all of these smaller diamonds, and if I did two tone, it would have to be custom. For example, I know Whiteflash could make something in two tone for this, but I hate spending such a large amount on stone settings, especially if they're only gold and no diamonds. I rather spend more on the stones.

This is the setting that can be done in either white or yellow gold that I am talking about. The seller told me it would be a perfect fit for my stones which are 4.2 to 4.7mm in diameter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110354122087&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D110354122087%2B%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1

I haven't tried yellow gold yet, so perhaps I should take some pics of the stones next to yellow. I'm just worried it won't do anything for the middle stone.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two choices I''d go WG. I think the RG really clashes with the color of the two side stones but it looks better with the center stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it''s between white and rose gold there''s no contest. White gold all the way. The rose gold dominates and overwhelms the diamonds.

Having said that I''d like to see the yellow gold option as well.

I know we had a debate on the other thread about the two side yellows not being the same colour - will you be able to live with the lack of "symmetry" for want of a better word?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can the basket be made in rose gold and the rest of the setting white gold? I think that would be pretty!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I was about to suggest two-tone then I saw your post. I too agree rose gold is overwhelming. I have been thinking about a two tone setting for a Mali garnet I bought recently, I knew white gold alone will be too cold for stones with warm tones. I don''t know if it is within budget for you, but have you thought of having a two-toned shand like this?

Date: 2/20/2009 8:41:33 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Thanks to everyone for their additional comments. I did find one white gold substantial three stone trellis setting on ebay for a very good price. I don''t want to go custom and do two tone, but the huge problem is finding a rose gold three stone setting to fit all of these smaller diamonds, and if I did two tone, it would have to be custom. For example, I know Whiteflash could make something in two tone for this, but I hate spending such a large amount on stone settings, especially if they''re only gold and no diamonds. I rather spend more on the stones.

This is the setting that can be done in either white or yellow gold that I am talking about. The seller told me it would be a perfect fit for my stones which are 4.2 to 4.7mm in diameter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110354122087&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D110354122087%2B%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1

I haven''t tried yellow gold yet, so perhaps I should take some pics of the stones next to yellow. I''m just worried it won''t do anything for the middle stone.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
While I adore rose, I''ve gotta vote white here too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s an outdoor shot on a cloudy day. The stones are more vibrant in natural light, at least to me, so perhaps white gold would work.

I do like the pink next to the rose gold though.

TLgreenpurplegreen.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 5:23:19 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
If it''s between white and rose gold there''s no contest. White gold all the way. The rose gold dominates and overwhelms the diamonds.

Having said that I''d like to see the yellow gold option as well.

I know we had a debate on the other thread about the two side yellows not being the same colour - will you be able to live with the lack of ''symmetry'' for want of a better word?
Yes, I could live without the symmetry. I think a heavy gallery, such as a trellis would also help deepen the lighter yellow green.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Honestly the two drastically different side stones would bug me to no end, but you''re OK with that
1.gif

I wonder how green gold would look?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
It''s definitely going to be one unusual looking ring! I''ve just been reading Coati''s new JM thread and was looking at her JM solitaire. What about using un-plated white gold? Coati''s has platinum accents as well, which is a good contrast.

Just a thought.

Gailey

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 9:04:11 PM
Author: Gailey
It''s definitely going to be one unusual looking ring! I''ve just been reading Coati''s new JM thread and was looking at her JM solitaire. What about using un-plated white gold? Coati''s has platinum accents as well, which is a good contrast.

Just a thought.

Gailey
I was thinking about using un-plated white gold. That''s a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results