shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or classic gold for engagement ring?

antonhans2

Rough_Rock
I’m a bit of a OC person when it comes to occasions, and my plan to propose to my girlfriend is certainly going to be a special one. I like to think of myself as a romantic type of man but I always have a hard time in figuring out what women typically like in terms of material things. I need some advice from the ladies out here if I should get a white gold or classic gold ring for my proposal? I’d like to note that my gf and I met through a meet foreign tour in Thailand and I hear that their gold can be a little different than the gold found here in the States. I wanted to surprise her with white gold but classic gold is always a safe option. Any suggestions?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Have you noticed if she wears a particular colour in her jewellery? If you see alot of yellow gold then it might end up being a safe bet :)

antonhans2

Rough_Rock
Have you noticed if she wears a particular colour in her jewellery? If you see alot of yellow gold then it might end up being a safe bet :)

Now that you mentioned it, I did notice that she's particularly fond of the gold necklace her mother gave to her when she was a teen as a graduation gift. So, probably gold would be a safe bet. Thanks!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Meow M made a good point; look at color of gold she already wears. Chances are she prefers it. As to gold in Asian countries... I sort of stereotype that they often
use higher gold content so the color is a richer yellow. When my DH brought home some earrings and a bracelet they almost looked fake to my eyes because I wasn't used to 22 kg. Best wishes!

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Look at the gold she already wears. Although many asians prefer white gold or platinum, and there are many different YG and WG allows to complicate things.

Too high a Ct (24Ct) ends up being too soft and distorting easily.

You cannot really go wrong with either. Apart from the necklace that has sentimental value, look at earrings or bangles - white or yellow?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could propose with a diamond and design the setting together.

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
OR design the setting together and then work on the proposal once you have the ring!

in-the-air

Rough_Rock
Premium
Maybe ask her to design the setting with you.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be careful putting too much weight into a necklace that her mother gave her. She may love it and wear it for sentimental reasons and not because she loves the color.

If you don't want her to know anything about the ring/proposal, you could simply bring up conversation about her beloved necklace and interject how many people in today's culture has switched to a white gold preference. By using a cultural difference reference/conversation/debate, you can gain her thoughts and opinions. She may surprise you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results