shape
carat
color
clarity

White cabinets, stainless appliances, what color granite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hello, everyone. We just moved into a new home and are in the process of remodeling the kitchen step-by-step. We just bought all new stainless steel applainces and are going to have the cabinets painted white (they are a weird very light color tan right now). The question is, what color granite do you think will look the best with this combo? I have always loved neutral colors like tan in granite, but have only really seen it paired with darker cabinets. Anyone have any ideas? pictures? Thanks a bunch
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we have white cabinets (1/2 stainless steal b/c we haven''t gotten around to change them all out yet) with gray corian (sp?) I think the gray looks nice. Currently our backsplash is tan but we are going to change it out to slate. I am more on a gray kick. Plus I think it looks really good with the stainless.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Steph,

I have stainless with white cabinets and my granite color is very neutral...I think its called Sahara Dream (not sure b/c previous owners remodeled the kitchen), but I love it b/c it never looks dirty. Here are some pics...

kitchen1apple.jpg

appletini

Ideal_Rock
and another...

kitchen2apple.jpg

appletini

Ideal_Rock
last one...

kitchen3apple.jpg

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
appletini, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen! I don''t like that many kitchens, but yours is a dream.
30.gif

So it wasn''t you who painted the walls in that green apple color?
2.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
onvacation, Thank you so much! Our house was so bland when we bought it, but the kitchen sold me, so I painted the whole house...If anyone wants my appletini green kitchen its Sherwin Williams Gleeful.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Apple for the advice...I hadn''t thought about grey, but I''m sure it would look really good with white. Apple, I love your kitchen! Thanks so much for posting pics so I could see it with the neutral color!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I would do green or grey.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think black is sharp.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I would second the black suggestion. I have black in my kitchen (although my cabinets are not white).

Have you ever watched Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network? I believe she has the black and white combo and it looks wonderful!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Woops! Was in a hurry and meant to say thanks to Tacori for the grey suggestion!

DiamondFan and Giada, I was thinking black too. I will have to watch barefoot contessa to see her kitchen. Thanks again everyone!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My black has a bit of sparkle in it, not sure what it is called. it is very subtle. all of my perimeter cabinets are a creamy vanilla color and my counter granite on the perimeter is black. my splash is limestone. it is not that hard to keep clean and I have been living with it for over 7 years.

What is your flooring?

I have a dark cola/black coffee colored hard wood floors. My island is a sage green painted wood, and then that granite is black, terracotta, sage, and ivory, very little of the ivory and more of the sage, black and terracotta tones. They harmonize well together. All my cabinetry is painted and my floor is the only wood tone. I have all stainless appliances as well.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, I must have been using the wrong cleaner. Our old house guest bath had black granite and it was so hard to keep clean!

steph, if my kitchen wasn''t such a mess I would take a picture....haha! Have you been to a granite yard yet? I went with my MIL and couldn''t believe all of the choices. You''ll find something for sure! They just put in verde butterfly (it is a dark green).

Apple, love your green walls!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we cook a fair amount. I use Williams Sonoma counter top/surface cleaner and spritz it down with that and damp sponge. My housekeeper likes that one better than windex and it smells awesome. I hate chemical smells so I think it is nice to find something that works that is not nasty. My island granite is also fairly dark and that is more of our work area than the perimeter, but honestly, it is not that big a deal for us to keep clean.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
DF, our current floors are tile and are kind of a light tan color. That might get changed to hardwoods...that is what we had in our last house, but I was waiting to see what we did with the cabinets and granite first. I will have to try the Williams-sonoma cleaner, I hate chemical smells too. I''m actually going there soon to pick up one of their cupcake mixes and some pancake/waffle mix that my family loves, so I will have to look for it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 5:14:58 PM
Author: diamondfan
Well, we cook a fair amount. I use Williams Sonoma counter top/surface cleaner and spritz it down with that and damp sponge. My housekeeper likes that one better than windex and it smells awesome. I hate chemical smells so I think it is nice to find something that works that is not nasty. My island granite is also fairly dark and that is more of our work area than the perimeter, but honestly, it is not that big a deal for us to keep clean.
DF, do they still sell it; I think it might be discontinued? This is similar I think from the company that would produce it for WS. I might be wrong. http://www.caldrea.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=229 Your kitchen sounds lovely!!!

Steph, I too would go to a granite yard; they have so many slabs it is amazing! I loved looking at slabs over a few months and then finally one slab was talking to me so that is what we chose. Also, do you remember this thread; there are 2 white kitchens in there. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/stainless-or-white-appliances.75225/ I love the deep green and black. There are so many beautiful colors it would be fun and hard to choose
37.gif
Can you post a picture of your current kitchen?? I think it depends on flooring too.

Apple, love the colors!! Is your granite golden w/grey?

SilverLily

Rough_Rock
Hi! I have painted white cabinets and my granite is called Giallo Ornamentale. (It is very close to Santa Cecelia). Here is a pic. Ignore the white spacers all over the backsplash as it was being installed.

If you look to the right, you can see a little bit of the island in black granite. We have a black, white, and tan color scheme. You can see black trim in the backsplash. I love that black granite, but I find it hard to keep clean. It shows fingerprint smudges very easily. That is why I put it on the island only...the rest of the counters are in the beige granite.

Sorry I don''t have a better picture. I really need to take an after pic!

backsplash77789.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I just want to through the option of Quartz counter top out there. I''ve heard it''s nonporous (not requiring a sealer) and very durable. Just a thought....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get the ylang ylang red grapefruit, it is my favorite of their new blends!

Skippy, they redid their cleaning products and this is one of the new ones...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 6:09:02 PM
Author: diamondfan
I get the ylang ylang red grapefruit, it is my favorite of their new blends!

Skippy, they redid their cleaning products and this is one of the new ones...
hehe, thanks! I knew you would set me straight; I need to go smell that one!
9.gif
Sounds yummy!
3.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here is a nice look

(not my kitchen)

granitebluepearl.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here is another with Blue Pearl

graniteagain.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
This is the black look.

s11.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hey steph, I don''t have white cabinets, but I do remember this thread that I am posting with different types of kitchens. I remember seeing one with white cabinets and a lighter countertop.

I have a grayish red countertop that is dark and I have to say that I find it hard to keep it smudge proof. Every little thing show up on them. My cabinets are cherry, so I can''t help you too much with the colors.

Here is the link-

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/if-you-could-re-do-your-kitchen.55654/

Good luck!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Generally, when you have lighter flooring, it looks better to have a lighter counter top and vice versa. There''s something that just doesn''t look quite right when you have dark counters and light floors. Also, black granite (specifically black galaxy) is notorious for being hard to clean.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for all the suggestions and pictures. I am going to go through pics on the internet and then try to find some design centers to get some other ideas.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
The Black Granite with specs is called BLACK GALAXY. I was all for it but too many people in the kitchen design industy said it was hard to keep clean.

We have opted for something in the beige family with a little black running through it. still looking
Our cabinets with be Cream/off white.. like vanilla bean . They will have a painted edge running through them
More french country then modern. Our Floors are going to be beige porcelein set diamond shape with black granite squares set every other tile...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think what I have is black galaxy or black cosmos. I do not know what they think people do with it, as I have lived in this house 7 and a half years, I have three kids and we use the kitchen all the time, baking, cooking, etc. It is not that big a deal. It gets wiped down a couple or several times a day, but I truly cannot tell you it is any harder to keep clean than any other granite I have had. It might show a thin film of dust more, but really, I think after all these years I would see it there was an issue. Aesthetically, I agree with Penn. If you have a dark floor finish and sandwich bwtn that is light cabinetry, it looks nice if the counter surface is on the darker side. If you have light floors, white or ivory cabinets, then something mid range is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results