shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Victor Canera setting for my 3.92 OEC ?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Stone stats:

3.92 ct
I SI2 (GIA)
~9.4mm x ~9.9mm
Shape: Roundish / cushion-y

391_faceup.jpg

My finger size is 4.5, so relatively small.

For the setting, I want to decide between:
* Note: Victor gave me permission to post these images, we know I must remove company info to conform to PS rules.

1. Sophia bezel with french cut sidestones
Preview:
sophia_bezel.jpg
Link: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry...ia-french-cut-solitaire-with-bezel-round.html

2. Emilya halo with pave
Preview:
Emilya_halo.jpg
Link: http://www.victorcanera.com/the-emilya-halo-solitaire-1.html
The Emilya is super flexible in that we can choose wire size, stone size, shank width, cathedral or not, etc.

My main concerns are beauty and durability. I want a piece that's a little wow (but not too much!), but something I can wear every day and love it. I work on a computer all day, and have a relatively low-key life (although we have three young children). I want something I can wear until I pass it down to my kids.

Any thoughts? Pros/cons? Factors I should consider but may not have?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, here is a mockup DH and I did of the Sophia (I have Victor's permission to post it, sorry it's so big):
anne_sophia_mockup.jpg

My mockup is imperfect in that my non-round stone has been pasted into a round bezel. So we don't quite see how the bezel would actually take on the stone's outline. I prefer bezels for round stones, and mine is not quite round. But might look more round if set east-west (vs north-south as shown).

On the halo side, here are some drawings Victor did to help me choose a shank:

anne_halo_options.jpg
* Note Victor did these in Adobe Illustrator. His pieces are handforged so there are no CADs.

Again, keep in mind my finger size is 4.5, so we will not see all that much of the shank in the top-down view on my finger.
We are currently talking about ~2mm halo + ~2mm shank (except for the double-shank, each would be narrower). I would choose u-cut pave, even thought it may be slightly less durable than bright-cut.

BTW, here is a link to a different designer's piece that shows a double shank in real life:
http://artofplatinum.com/vault/inde...&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

BTW, I will not be wearing any other rings with this one.

I should mention that Victor has been wonderful to work with so far. He's been very prompt, informative and patient.

Any thoughts welcome!!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Sophia bezel with french cut side hands down IMO. :bigsmile: Seems like soooo many rings on PS are halo with pave on sides...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the Sophia too. I was told that a bezel can actually correct a stone's shape somewhat, so I'm sure that Victor can make your stone appear perfectly round within the bezel. It's going to be GORGEOUS!

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Sophia Sophia Sophia!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Sohpia is my vote!

Person24

Shiny_Rock
I like the first setting. I think the halo takes away from the diamond and you have one pretty stone! :D

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pick the Sophia bezel. Your stone would look gorgeous. The French cuts are scrumptious.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Sophi hands down, I love that setting for old cuts, I feel that's where Victor's amazing skill really shows through is in these older styles.

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Sophia by a landslide--I think it is classic, and the style suits the OEC better.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BoulderGal|1309818470|2961683 said:
Sophia by a landslide--I think it is classic, and the style suits the OEC better.

I completely agree - Definitely the Sophia!

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
I think they are both beautiful settings. That being said, I'm not a fan of bezel settings or halos with center stones that large...especially on a small finger like yours. I think it would look amazing though in either the sophia type setting but in a prong set basket (4 prongs on 4 split prongs) -- i.e. like bliningator's ring (I'm sure someone here can post the link to that ring).

I also think a split shank setting without the halo would look great too.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Here's the ring I'm talking about but I think bigger frenchie sidestones with more tapering: pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/leon-mege-cushion-brilliant-2-01-1-10-ratio-g-vs2-t119815.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also vote for the Sophia setting. I think the stone is too large for a halo and the style of the Sophia is better for an OEC.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SOPHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: I thought so even before seeing all of the other replies!

I'd love to hear where you got the stone too. It is simply gorgeous! What remarkable faceting! :love: :love: :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309829386|2961734 said:
I also vote for the Sophia setting. I think the stone is too large for a halo and the style of the Sophia is better for an OEC.

Agreed!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Begonia|1309809092|2961643 said:
Sophia bezel with french cut side hands down IMO. :bigsmile: Seems like soooo many rings on PS are halo with pave on sides...

Yes yes yes... bravo! Please let this setting as is. It will be incredible with your diamond!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is for the sophia setting too.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Sophia all the way!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the sofia but I would like it even better without a bezel. I understand if you want one to protect your stone but I like round or roundish stones with prongs, especially when it's someone like Victor who can do them so well! Either way, it will be gorgeous!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the double shank - I think for a stand alone ring having a more substantial shank is a good thing. It's not like it's going to be huge or anything.

Besides, I saw this pic and OMG I love the double shank on this...

23338.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
The Sophia for sure, it is gorgeous.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone!

I guessed the Sophia would be the PS fave, although I did not think by such a huge landslide!! lol I'll have to admit, once I knew I was looking for my dream upgrade OEC, the Sophia was my original and only choice. It's only because the stone I ended up choosing is not quite round that I started feeling it might call for a different setting.

Currently, I am leaning towards halo, with either double shank or split shank. I know, travesty!! lol Price-wise, the Sophia and halo options (other than single shank) are similar, so that is not a factor.

Posting the thread here for opinions has been very useful, it's helping me see more clearly how I feel. So thank you all for that!

Yes, I know we see tons of pave halos on PS, but my ring will live most of its life in my personal circle where we see very few! lol So trying to be different is less of an issue for me. I *do* love the idea of a bezel in general though... it protects the stone, and I feel I would worry "less" about durability with it. So that is a consideration.

Loves Vintage - you were asking where the stone came from. It is from Mark Turnowski of Engagement Rings Direct. He sold me my original modern cushion a few years ago, and this OEC is a trade-up. He sourced it somewhat magically right before I was coming to NYC to view several other stones. It took me a few days to decide between this one and one with another vendor, but in the end I'm thrilled with how this played out. Here is a link to the stone's video if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xristoserd2011?feature=mhee#p/u/3/OkiXh3WXkLU

What I like about working with Mark is that he is very experienced in the industry, and his pricing seems fair (market-wise). He's known more for his cushions, but he was able to source this stone and I thought it was a good fit for me. He told me it was taken out of a piece of original antique jewelry shortly before I arrived.

Again, thanks everyone, and any further setting comments welcome! :)

Anne

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B E A U T I F U L stone

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bigdiamondtinygal|1309828451|2961725 said:
I think they are both beautiful settings. That being said, I'm not a fan of bezel settings or halos with center stones that large...especially on a small finger like yours. I think it would look amazing though in either the sophia type setting but in a prong set basket (4 prongs on 4 split prongs) -- i.e. like bliningator's ring (I'm sure someone here can post the link to that ring).

I also think a split shank setting without the halo would look great too.

I agree. This stone is going to look massive on your already small finger. I think it would be clunky or too much in a bezel or halo. Gorgeous stone!! :lickout:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I actually think the slightly off round stone would work well in the sophia setting! we have certainly seen many cushion shapes in the tapered french cut setting and they are gorgeous :)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Sophia!!!! It is going to be spectacular!!!!!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
If you want an heirloom ring, I *REALLY* feel like the bezel setting is the better option. I'd venture to guess it will hold up better to wear and tear over the years than delicate pave.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I think my heart stopped while that youtube video played. Whoooo! What a stone!

Sophia gets my vote too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results