• Total voters

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I've chosen my stone and am deciding between these three settings:

1) Blue Nile Nouveau Knife Edge Six Prong Solitaire
14k White gold with platinum prongs: $440
or platinum for $900
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...r=customizer&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer
-The prongs might look bulky in pictures but apparently they're not as bulky in person. Even if they are, I suppose I could have them shaved by a local bench. Here's the setting by a fellow PSer
-Since my stone is from Blue Nile, I wouldn't have to pay additional shipping and insurance costs and can have all the work done there, easy peasy.
photo_2_47.jpg
photo_1_54.jpg
photo_4_29.jpg

2) Whiteflash Knife-Edge Solitaire
Platinum $1300 + insurance + shipping (probably $150)
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-734.htm#size=6
*Since the stone is not from WF, the setting will be sold AS IS. No modifications allowed (can't thin the shank, no special alloy requests, etc).

3) Vatche U-113
Platinum $2100 + insurance + shipping (probably $150)
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1778.htm
-I've been wearing a $350 setting for years so I'm having a hard time justifying the +$2100 price tag. I could get the Blue Nile setting and have 2 round trip tickets to Europe to spare :kiss2:
-The Vatche is pretty but I might actually prefer a slightly thicker and more substantial shank.
-If I do go the Vatche route, can anyone recommend a good vendor that might offer the platinum version that accommodates a 2.5 carat stone for less?

Any thoughts?

If anyone has pics of any 2.5 carat Tiffany/repro solitaires for me to drool over, please share!

Attachments

• photo_4_29.jpg
    photo_4_29.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.png
    image.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 32

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd send the pic to DK and ask him if it would fit your stone. I imagine the prongs might need adjusting. While you are at it, you can get a quote if it won't work. I'm guessing it would be well below the u113 and still wonderful workmanship.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd send the pic to DK and ask him if it would fit your stone. I imagine the prongs might need adjusting. While you are at it, you can get a quote if it won't work. I'm guessing it would be well below the u113 and still wonderful workmanship.

Thanks, I just reached out to him.

Do you think the BN knife edge setting is a disaster?

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just got the Vatche and it is amazing. Everything is "just right" from the height of the diamond to the width of the prongs and band (IMO).
I looked heavily into the WF one and I think without the modifications it might be a touch coarse compared to the Vatche? I am such a non expert I can't even explain what I mean by that....I just was drawn more to the elegance of the Vatche.

I just held my ring up to the BN one and it's very similar in the top view. The prongs look thicker and shallower (I think more side diamond is seen more due to the "u" part being deeper in the Vatche) from the side.

Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why is the Vatche $2100? Isn't it $1800 in Platinum on the whiteflash site?
I just got the Vatche and it is amazing. Everything is "just right" from the height of the diamond to the width of the prongs and band (IMO).
I looked heavily into the WF one and I think without the modifications it might be a touch coarse compared to the Vatche? I am such a non expert I can't even explain what I mean by that....I just was drawn more to the elegance of the Vatche.

The price depends on the size of the stone. That is the WF quote for a 2.5 carat stone.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I just held my ring up to the BN one and it's very similar in the top view. The prongs look thicker and shallower (I think more side diamond is seen more due to the "u" part being deeper in the Vatche) from the side.

Well, shucks, if they look similar from the top... :)

While I much prefer the Vache's more open side profile, the BN setting with more metal might not be a bad choice for my stone which has a crystal visible from the side that I'd like to cover as much as possible.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
With a 2.5 carat stone, all eyes are going to be in that— especially in a simple classic setting— so I’d get whatever is easiest for you. I think you’ll love any option!

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Also, I have the WF with no modifications and love it. Nothing feels bulky about it and I have a smaller stone than you will have. We

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had a buddy buy his girl a Vatche setting. They were both very pleased. Had a small debacle with palladium. This was a few years back and it kept breaking. They were good to do repairs, etc but eventually my buddy replaced it in platinum and was much happier. Their biggest complaint was the price tag.

Having been exposed to so many settings, etc since joining I personally think the DK setting @rockysalamander is the one I'd go for first. I just like his work and it looks very classy.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, guys! Jen, you know I adore your setting! The BN option would definitely be the easiest option as I would just exchange my diamond for the upgrade and they would take care of the rest.

I'm waiting to hear back from DK re. resetting the stone.

The U-113 is lovely but so darn expensive. I could also wait for a pre-loved Vatche since they do come along once in a while.

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also think it's easy to nitpick and obsess over magnified images when in reality they all look VERY similar! Once you get in real life nobody notices minute details about your setting. The Vatche prongs being deeper and thinner in real life is probably unnoticeable unless you really try to find the difference! I truly do think that BN looks the same as the Vatche from the top. I wish I was savvy enough to post my ring top view next to yours. I say go to Europe twice with your beautiful ring and don't look back or at any more pictures of another brand!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also think it's easy to nitpick and obsess over magnified images when in reality they all look VERY similar! Once you get in real life nobody notices minute details about your setting. The Vatche prongs being deeper and thinner in real life is probably unnoticeable unless you really try to find the difference! I truly do think that BN looks the same as the Vatche from the top. I wish I was savvy enough to post my ring top view next to yours. I say go to Europe twice with your beautiful ring and don't look back or at any more pictures of another brand!

I like the way you think, diamondsareagirls!

If I get the BN version, the next question would be 14k white gold with platinum prongs for $440 or everything platinum for $900?

I don't think I will mind getting the white gold ring replated once in a while, especially if the cost is minimal, although it would be nice not to worry about replating. Also, if I choose the platinum for twice the price at $900 I start thinking, well, I may as well get the WF version for a couple hundred more... and if I'm spending that much on a setting, I might as well splurge on the Vatche...

I'm admittedly such a cheapskate when it comes to settings. I'm still cringing over this failed custom $500 platinum setting from 5 years ago that now gathers dust. I now prefer to put my money towards the best diamond I can find.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I get the BN version, the next question would be 14k white gold with platinum prongs for $440 or everything platinum for $900? I don't really want to spend $900 on a BN setting.

So there's your answer... What about unplated white gold? Or palladium white gold? Neither need replating. And being 14k, won't be as tinted as unplated 18k. Prolly even cheaper than wg with plat prongs, though plat is recommended for prongs (I have had dozens of rings with 14k gold prongs for decades with no probs).

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the 14k BN. Easy choice! The focus will be on the huge rock. No one will notice tiny, insignificant differences between very similar Tiffany style settings.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good to see you, @Laila619!

@ringo865 BN just offers 14k wg or plat. It's nice that they use platinum prongs once the stone gets to a certain size. Does plated 14k white gold look like unplated 14k wg once the rhodium wears off?

Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1840187120.jpeg Here's a 2.5 in the BN setting. EEEEE! :appl:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the way you think, diamondsareagirls!

If I get the BN version, the next question would be 14k white gold with platinum prongs for $440 or everything platinum for $900?

I don't think I will mind getting the white gold ring replated once in a while, especially if the cost is minimal, although it would be nice not to worry about replating. Also, if I choose the platinum for twice the price at $900 I start thinking, well, I may as well get the WF version for a couple hundred more... and if I'm spending that much on a setting, I might as well splurge on the Vatche...

I'm admittedly such a cheapskate when it comes to settings. I'm still cringing over this failed custom $500 platinum setting from 5 years ago that now gathers dust. I now prefer to put my money towards the best diamond I can find.

Been going through this debacle myself. My girl likes the "shiny" of WG. I hate it because of the maintenance of replating. Best I can tell it runs about $100 to get re-plated at a local jeweler. How often depends entirely upon your body chemicals. I've had WG jewelry in the past and my chemicals change it very fast (every 6-12 months). Because of my bad experience, I dislike WG with a passion.

Also, I like the weight and patina look of platinum. Of course I'm a guy so heavier, bulkier and not shiny is right up my alley. :lol:

I know you will spend more on it now, but I'd really go with the platinum if you have no other reasons for wanting WG than money. I think it's a better material, higher quality, will last longer and will not require the same maintenance dollars as WG, so I think it's a better long term value than short term value.

Good to see you, @Laila619!

@ringo865 BN just offers 14k wg or plat. It's nice that they are using platinum prongs either way once the stone gets to a certain size. Does plated 14k white gold look like unplated 14k wg once the rhodium wears off?

The short answer is no. The rhodium plating is actually what gives WG the white/silver finish. In a normal WG setting, once that plating wears away (using your body chemicals) it will go yellow.

Some jewelers like DK offer a palladium/WG alloy mix that is NOT plated and because of the palladium alloy will remain white. I just learned about this the other day. Not to bomb your post, but if you check out my thread, you will see some info about all this towards the latter part of the first page.

1840187120.jpeg Here's a 2.5 in the BN setting. EEEEE! :appl:

Good lawd!!! Makes me drool. Who cares about the setting -- look at the rock!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Been going through this debacle myself. My girl likes the "shiny" of WG. I hate it because of the maintenance of replating. Best I can tell it runs about $100 to get re-plated at a local jeweler. How often depends entirely upon your body chemicals. I've had WG jewelry in the past and my chemicals change it very fast (every 6-12 months). Because of my bad experience, I dislike WG with a passion.

Also, I like the weight and patina look of platinum. Of course I'm a guy so heavier, bulkier and not shiny is right up my alley. :lol:

I know you will spend more on it now, but I'd really go with the platinum if you have no other reasons for wanting WG than money. I think it's a better material, higher quality, will last longer and will not require the same maintenance dollars as WG, so I think it's a better long term value than short term value.

The short answer is no. The rhodium plating is actually what gives WG the white/silver finish. In a normal WG setting, once that plating wears away (using your body chemicals) it will go yellow.

Some jewelers like DK offer a palladium/WG alloy mix that is NOT plated and because of the palladium alloy will remain white. I just learned about this the other day. Not to bomb your post, but if you check out my thread, you will see some info about all this towards the latter part of the first page.

Good lawd!!! Makes me drool. Who cares about the setting -- look at the rock!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

The last sentence of your post made me chuckle aloud! =) I am so excited about this upgrade! It's been a long time coming!

I don't like the idea of maintaining wg and $100 a pop isn't cheap, depending on how often you need to have the ring replated. I actually stopped by my local jeweler-- the only one I would trust 100% with my stone-- and they don't do wg plating due to the cyanide involved.

I took a look inside DH's wg wedding band and while the outside surface definitely shows wear, the inside is perfectly white. I guess he has good body chemistry!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could ask them for unplated WG. It's a lovely creamy color. Some people prefer it over the icy chrome look of rhodium plated WG. Or just go with all Plat. More durable in the long run as you don't lose metal with Plat.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Congrats on your new ring.

I think you have enough input on the ring, but one comment I want to add is the prongs. To me, prongs make or break a look. If you are trying to create the Tiffany look, you can see Tiffany does their prongs a bit more rounded and squared off. Others do their prongs more almond shaped, while I have seen prongs that look like pointy talons.

You may want to check and be sure to indicate what type of prong look you want.

Congrats again!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander and others, I have been eyeing this ACA and was wondering if you had any thoughts:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3227683.htm

The color and dimensions are dreamy but I'm not sure if the SI2 is too "messy" for lack of a better word. It's eye clean though but not sure if it's worth the $4647 difference compared to this xxx GIA SI1.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Which one is a better stone? Do you think light performance would be comparable?

Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander and others, I have been eyeing this ACA and was wondering if you had any thoughts:

The color and dimensions are dreamy but I'm not sure if the SI2 is too "messy" for lack of a better word. It's eye clean though but not sure if it's worth the $4647 difference compared to this xxx GIA SI1.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Which one is a better stone? Do you think light performance would be comparable?

I wouldn't spend the money on the Vatche bc you don't seem comfortable with it and bc there are so many other similar and more affordable options. If you're unsure about BN's version, than I'd go with WF's version. But I wouldn't reason that just bc you spend $400 more on WF's version (comparing platinum pricing), that you should just spend $800 more on the Vatche when the WF is just as nice, if not arguably "nicer" (I'm sure not to everyone but this is preference).

It seems you might be going down a similar path as before now contemplating the WF stone - the cut is beautiful but will those inclusions bother you? I know you have an eye clean SI2 now and this WF stone does say eye clean (I'd still double check with them at what angle/distance bc it does look to have a LOT going on) but if you could get a cleaner stone for less money would you prefer that? Is upgrading a possibility in the future? I thought the WF trade in value would make it difficult to come out of pocket that much more for the size/color you want...however, SI2's at WF seem to be far and few between (especially in a larger size) so if upgrading would ever be a possibility, it would be sweet to get your foot in the door now.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

STAHPPPPP.

No more looking, lol! :naughty:

Get the full platinum setting from BN, and have the prongs shaved down a little to make it more elegant.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree. The BN stone has my name on it. I don't think I will find another well cut 2.51 H SI1 with fat arrows for $23.8k. The crystal visible from the side saved me thousands.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I’m going to go with the wg with plat prongs. I like the bright white metal look and BN and WF won’t do a customized plat alloy if it’s not a WF stone. If I still want platinum in the future, I’ll splurge on the 90/10 combination.

Thanks everyone for the input! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece in person and sharing pics.

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
We went with custom WF.

I believe the Vatche is the closest to the Tiffany setting. However, you are paying for the plat and the designer name - and it depends on whether that's what you're looking for. Also confirm what platinum alloy they use.

"Thank you for your email and question. 14k White Gold, 14K is 58.3% pure gold mixed with 41.7% other metals that give gold the hardness to be durable in jewelry. Nickel is normally used in this alloy. White gold products, because they are not pure white, are normally plated with rhodium to give the metal a bright white luster.

Our platinum products are made with 95% pure platinum and 5% irridium"

This is Whiteflash's standard 14k vs platinum alloy.

Diamond choice is highly personal. However, at 2.5Ct, I agree that the highlight will always be the diamond!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TweetyBird23 Happy to hear that you finally found your upgrade stone! If you upgrade with BN, then it would be so much easier to just go with the BN knife edge. But I would definitely choose platinum!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you're done upgrading, go with BN. If you're not, go with WF ;-)

I'd get the BN setting in platinum. I like my e-rings to have some weight/sturdiness to them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results