shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Tahitian studs to buy? Help me decide!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, trying to decide between these two pairs. I’m looking for something that will “pop” against my dark hair and have some secondary colors (ie not just blue or just green, but with some other color overtone):

Pair one:

CE4299AD-373F-425D-9F45-2D710CBD298D.jpeg

Pair two:
D768F8AA-E186-483E-B365-9D3F3D87A613.jpeg

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I'm assuming the price is a non concern, but if they were the same in price, the first pair seems much nicer. The luster is definitely higher on the first pair and it's better matched than the second pair.

That said, neither particularly looks to me like it has a secondary overtone color. The first pair may have a slight peacock but it's glamour lighting and probably won't be easily seen in regular wear.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first pair.
The color might not be exactly like the vendor photos.
Keep in mind that heavy pearl studs might droop in your earlobes. You can replace the clutch backs, if necessary, with bigger ones that will keep them upright in your ears.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@amoline and @stracci2000

Thank you ladies as always for taking the time to help!

I think I will pass. However, I AM consider one of the two peacock pairs on either side of the green pair in the middle. Thoughts on whether the right or left pair strikes you as being more favorable? E352F909-0702-42A1-AF4F-D708C9D0FD22.jpeg

amoline

Shiny_Rock
The left pair looks better matched with a slightly stronger luster. The right pair has a more copper-ish tone whereas the leftmost has a cherry peacock tone.

My pick would be the left. But they both look very nice. It would be personal preference

Also, you're welcome, but I'm not a lady :)

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@amoline Apologies!!!!! I love a gentleman’s opinion on jewelry any day—wish my hubby had an eye for jewelry!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the left pair for the reasons @amoline stated - but they've got a very dark body colour. I they'll look black on your ears in practice. The middle pair has a much lighter and much stronger non-grey body colour.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie Thanks for weighing in! Agreed, might be too dark that left pair to “pop”.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like an odd question but -- What color and fineness is your hair? If you have lighter colored and/or finer hair, you can wear a darker body color of pearl and have the tones still show. Blonde hair, for example, basically acts as a diffuser for light to hit your earrings.

If you have dark and thick hair, you may wish to opt for the lighter color for as much visibility of color as possible.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@amoline Thank you for taking the time to comment further. I have dark and very fine hair so I think I may opt for a lighter body color as you suggested. What about this pair:

08EF9C37-544A-4E82-B538-F5D61DB77EE6.jpeg

amoline

Shiny_Rock
The luster is not razor sharp for Tahitian pearls - I'd say the color is very nice and has a peacock effect but luster is simply OK- whether that bothers you or not is up to you. They are very pretty-but at least make sure that the price reflects (no pun intended) the fair luster. And, of course, if you look for a high luster pair, you'd have to pay more.

If color is your main concern, I think you could do very well with this pair.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@amoline Thank you for taking the time to comment further. I have dark and very fine hair so I think I may opt for a lighter body color as you suggested. What about this pair:

08EF9C37-544A-4E82-B538-F5D61DB77EE6.jpeg

Body colour of right pearl is grey.
It will look much more “just dark grey” on skin than against that white paper - the white background brings out the overtone in a way that skin can’t

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Oh, @yssie made a good catch - I didn't notice in my first quick look the total difference in body colors. It's true - those are perhaps not quite as well matched either.

Can you ask for photos on a slightly more regular background and maybe not quite as much light flooding in? Large diffuse light will make colors of Tahitians pop in ways that they normally won't appear.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@amoline and @yssie Wonderful advice—I’ll ask for more photos and keep you both posted! Thanks again!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'd do better personally with either the dark green or blue green studs than trying for one with overtone. Overtone isn't nearly as visible in most lights as body colour, and with dark hair, you're more likely to see the body colour than the overtone even more (speaking from personal experience as I have almost black fine hair and very fair skin). My skin will make the pearls reflect more colour around my neck, but on my ears they tend to go dark. I've had the best luck with either very light silver tahitians or ones with very strong green or blue body colour. Even extremely strong peacock overtones gets wiped out on my ears. So personally I would pick one of the first two pair that you posted, or the middle pair in the set of three. The outside two are just going to look silvery grey.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the pic with 3 pairs, I personally prefer the green pair in the middle.

However, given the choices between the other two pairs on either side, I prefer the ones on the right as they are my pleasing to my eyes as I prefer lighter body colours.

Personal preference and all that.

DK :))

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@cmd2014 & @dk168 Thanks for your suggestions!

I think I’m going to try to go find a local jeweler with some Tahitian studs and try some on. I think what color I like may not be what looks best on me.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I actually loved the greener one in middle too!
For sure go try some (or many) on to get an idea of what color looks best on you

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying on is the best plan. If you are in the US this isn't a problem with ordering and returning from the online vendors, but if you are shipping internationally this can get expensive. Once you know what it is that you like best, it does make online shopping so much easier.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@cmd2014 Agreed! I’m in CA, although going to Maui for a week soon—I see that they have some pearl shops there too (although maybe a bit touristy).

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Agreed! I’m in CA, although going to Maui for a week soon—I see that they have some pearl shops there too (although maybe a bit touristy).

Is there any way you could visit Pearl Paradise in person and pick out a pair? They must have a huge inventory.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results