• Left (six-pointed)

Votes: 36 94.7%
  • Right (five-pointed)

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m debating between two antique star brooches. Which should I get?

Left: silver over gold, approx. 3.5 ctw of H/I SI OMCs, inscribed 1837.

Right: silver over gold, but plated with a white metal. CTW unknown with OMC center and rose cut sides, French hallmarks, late Victorian.

3D884E14-34A1-4B4B-A278-1F1EDBCEFE32.jpeg

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I’m debating between two antique star brooches. Which should I get?

Left: silver over gold, approx. 3.5 ctw of H/I SI OMCs, inscribed 1837.

Right: silver over gold, but plated with a white metal. CTW unknown with OMC center and rose cut sides, French hallmarks, late Victorian.

3D884E14-34A1-4B4B-A278-1F1EDBCEFE32.jpeg
@jpJPie. Both:P2

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like the diamond value content is higher in the six ray star. The look of the 5 ray star, assuming it is about the same diameter as the other item, is a bit more pleasing to my eye in design. The 6 ray star is more distinctly formal and direct, while the 5 ray star has smoother surfaces and the triple clusters between rays are curved and soft rather than standing at attention. Can one or both be worn as a pendant as well as a brooch? Some may have bales hidden on the back. That can be a plus attribute.

It is a matter of your own personal taste, not mine. Do you prefer waves and curves, or symmetric and woven patterns? Is it for wear for formal occasions or for just dressing up nicely for more casual occasions? Each one will find those who prefer it over the other, but it is a matter of your choosing based on your frame of reference.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie I’m finding it harder to source antique pieces, ( at a decent price)....Scoop them up!:P2
They seem to be more popular than ever these days! I'm seeing a lot of new jewelry on sites like Moda Operandi made in antique styles too.

Looks like the diamond value content is higher in the six ray star. The look of the 5 ray star, assuming it is about the same diameter as the other item, is a bit more pleasing to my eye in design. The 6 ray star is more distinctly formal and direct, while the 5 ray star has smoother surfaces and the triple clusters between rays are curved and soft rather than standing at attention. Can one or both be worn as a pendant as well as a brooch? Some may have bales hidden on the back. That can be a plus attribute.

It is a matter of your own personal taste, not mine. Do you prefer waves and curves, or symmetric and woven patterns? Is it for wear for formal occasions or for just dressing up nicely for more casual occasions? Each one will find those who prefer it over the other, but it is a matter of your choosing based on your frame of reference.

Thanks for the thoughtful response! The six-pointed star has a hidden bail with removable pin stem. The five-pointed star has a removable pin stem and no bail, though it's possible to attach the jump ring of a necklace to the pin.

I love the bling factor of the six-pointed star, but it's a relatively common style for antique stars. The five-pointed is more unusual but I hate the white metal plating! I wish it could be removed to reveal the beautiful rose gold and silver underneath. I would wear either one as a pendant, and with casual clothing.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though there is more diamond weight in the right (5) star I like the left (6) star better as it shows less metal. Perhaps show it on a piece of black fabric and the a solid color fabric (red, blue, green, and yellow) to see how they will look when worn close up and at a distance.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are very pretty.
The five point one is more unusual, in my opinion of what I've seen around. I love the buttercup settings it has.
The six point one, I like the stones better though.

- Can't go wrong with either -
Lovely finds!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though there is more diamond weight in the right (5) star I like the left (6) star better as it shows less metal. Perhaps show it on a piece of black fabric and the a solid color fabric (red, blue, green, and yellow) to see how they will look when worn close up and at a distance.

I wish I could compare the two in person, but I only have the five-star one right now. I thought maybe I could oxidize the silver top part so the rose cuts will pop more, but the stupid white metal plating rules that out as an option. :x2 I'm worried I will always look at it and wish it had the more antique look of oxidized silver, which I love in antique jewelry.

Both are very pretty.
The five point one is more unusual, in my opinion of what I've seen around. I love the buttercup settings it has.
The six point one, I like the stones better though.

- Can't go wrong with either -
Lovely finds!
I think that sums up my dilemma! Love the bling of the six-point, and unique style of the five-point.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Six for sure. I love that one way more than the 5 point star. It's IMO prettier and more striking. Of course it's a personal decision without right or wrong. Which one do you love more?

ETA: DH is sitting on the couch right next to me and so I asked his opinion without telling him mine and he said he prefers the one on the left. He prefers the design and symmetry of the left one.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Six for sure. I love that one way more than the 5 point star. It's IMO prettier and more striking. Of course it's a personal decision without right or wrong. Which one do you love more?

ETA: DH is sitting on the couch right next to me and so I asked his opinion without telling him mine and he said he prefers the one on the left. He prefers the design and symmetry of the left one.

:lol: Thanks to you & your hubby! It just occurred to me that if I have the five-pointed one in hand, and I'm still looking at the six-pointed one, then I have my answer. It's a common Victorian design and I've seen it done in paste as well, but the diamonds are so much more substantial and I like my bling! It also has a nice little inscription:

"From SJLG May 10, 1837." That makes it makes it 182 years old - pretty cool!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Thanks to you & your hubby! It just occurred to me that if I have the five-pointed one in hand, and I'm still looking at the six-pointed one, then I have my answer. It's a common Victorian design and I've seen it done in paste as well, but the diamonds are so much more substantial and I like my bling! It also has a nice little inscription:

"From SJLG May 10, 1837." That makes it makes it 182 years old - pretty cool!

Aww I love that. So romantic. :kiss2: I think this piece is a keeper. Special, blingy and filled with warm loving memories. And I happen to love Victorian pieces.:love:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm with missy and her hubby, the 6 point star is just gorgeous. Also it's so cool you actually have the date of Queen Victorias accent to the throne engraved, 1837.
My Victorian OMC dangle earrings are yelling "buy this one!"

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww I love that. So romantic. :kiss2: I think this piece is a keeper. Special, blingy and filled with warm loving memories. And I happen to love Victorian pieces.:love:

I saw your new earrings - so pretty!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with missy and her hubby, the 6 point star is just gorgeous. Also it's so cool you actually have the date of Queen Victorias accent to the throne engraved, 1837.
My Victorian OMC dangle earrings are yelling "buy this one!"

Thanks! It is pretty cool to find an older, engraved piece. I wouldn't have known it was the year of Victoria's ascent had you not mentioned it! I also didn't realize that Halley's Comet inspired star-themed jewelry even two years after it appeared in 1835. The five-point star on the right was probably inspired by its 1910 appearance. </nerd>

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks! It is pretty cool to find an older, engraved piece. I wouldn't have known it was the year of Victoria's ascent had you not mentioned it! I also didn't realize that Halley's Comet inspired star-themed jewelry even two years after it appeared in 1835. The five-point star on the right was probably inspired by its 1910 appearance. </nerd>
I love background info like this for jewellery, it makes it really special.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the 6. Seems a better piece of jewelry, and to my eye is prettier also.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@jpJPie. Both:P2
The white plating makes 5 point start less 3 dimensional in the picture, does it appear to have more depth in person?

I think it’s a matter of personal taste, the 6 point stars has more symmetry, and very pleasing to the eye, but the more I look at the five star it seems to have more personality to me. Especially if it took on more depth in person. Lovely finds.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the 6. Seems a better piece of jewelry, and to my eye is prettier also.
Thank you! The OMCs definitely have a stronger presence than the rose cuts on the other one.

The white plating makes 5 point start less 3 dimensional in the picture, does it appear to have more depth in person?

I think it’s a matter of personal taste, the 6 point stars has more symmetry, and very pleasing to the eye, but the more I look at the five star it seems to have more personality to me. Especially if it took on more depth in person. Lovely finds.

The plating of the five-pointed one killed any depth it might have had. :cry2: It's a well-made piece and there's some beautiful 18K rose gold peeking through where the plating has worn off. I came across the same style in a six-pointed version but it wasn't for sale.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The left one, six rays. You have such an amazing eye for this era’s design aesthetic! Hoping for more pics when you can! :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the 6 star one. It looks better quality all round. Better diamonds, better setting, more presence.
The 5 star one is interesting but the diamonds are less, lower quality, the setting is a bit too “rustic” and you don’t like the white metal plating.
Buy the 6 star one.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
voting on looks and nothing else I'd pick the 6 point star.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The left one, six rays. You have such an amazing eye for this era’s design aesthetic! Hoping for more pics when you can! :)
Aw, thank you! :kiss2: I’ll definitely post more pics when I get it.

Definitely the 6 star one. It looks better quality all round. Better diamonds, better setting, more presence.
The 5 star one is interesting but the diamonds are less, lower quality, the setting is a bit too “rustic” and you don’t like the white metal plating.
Buy the 6 star one.
Done! :D

voting on looks and nothing else I'd pick the 6 point star.
Thank you!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@JPie today at work I paired a similar brooch to the 6 star but with seed pearls and an OMC diamond centre with my Victorian earrings. Just for my work day lol.
I thought I'd take a photo, but got so busy I forget!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Are there by any chance any hallmarks on left brooch? I like them both, but for different reasons. As Victoria didn't come to the throne until June 1837, brooch left is more Georgian in style. The right brooch is less formal. Can't you see your way clear to buy both? I couldn't make a choice myself.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im.feeling a bit sad for the 5 pointer even though i voted for the 6

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie today at work I paired a similar brooch to the 6 star but with seed pearls and an OMC diamond centre with my Victorian earrings. Just for my work day lol.
That sounds like a great combo! I’d love to see it next time.

Are there by any chance any hallmarks on left brooch? I like them both, but for different reasons. As Victoria didn't come to the throne until June 1837, brooch left is more Georgian in style. The right brooch is less formal. Can't you see your way clear to buy both? I couldn't make a choice myself.
I’ll have to ask the dealer. I only saw the inscription, but that’s a good point! Sadly, I can’t swing both at this time. I think the plating will always bother me; it hides the tarnished silver/rich rose gold combo that I would love if only I could get rid of the plating!

im.feeling a bit sad for the 5 pointer even though i voted for the 6
The five-pointer will find a good home quickly. The seller said she has three other people who want her. =)2

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here is the combo I mentioned @JPie
Old mine cuts in the earrings with seed pearls and same in the brooch.

DSC_0673.JPG DSC_0672.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results