Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Which solitaire setting for new OEC?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
I'm going for a solitaire. Here is my stone: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-2-28ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-l-vs2/

My permanent setting will be an antique style 8 prong custom setting similar to this:



But for the time being, I am looking for an INEXPENSIVE 6 prong solitaire setting. I've been perusing the boards for days. These are my favorites so far:

1. This stuller setting:



2. BGD 6 prong solitaire:



3. American Set



Will any of these settings in white gold and rhodium plating match my platinum bands? Another choice is to get a little funky and do Rose or yellow gold. I REALLY don't want to shell out MORE money for platinum if it's going to be a temp setting.....I'm looking to spend $500 or less on the setting.

Plan B is to suck it up and just do the custom 8 prong because it's a typical OEC with a thin girdle. I imagine the 8 prong will offer more protection. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Opinions?

_38014.jpg

img_12456.jpg

06prsolitairewg1.jpg

_38015.jpg
 

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
2,369
For a temporary setting I love that l Stuller. You can get 14k white in their X1 alloy which won't need plating and looks more platinum-y than traditional wg that has been rhodium plated -and way more steely than unplated wg.

I love your permanent setting too. How long do you have to wait?
:naughty:
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,676
I think you should go with Plan B but if you need more time I love that stuller setting. Has an antique feel. I wonder if you can get it in that
unrodium plaTed gold. X1 or something.
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,847
I like the Stuller out of those. Did you check if they have any pre-loved settings that would fit for the time being?
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,537
If it fits into your Victor halo (you might have to get Victor or Caysie to redo the prongs to adjust for a different stone height) that is a free temporary setting until you decide what to do with it.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,383
Hmmm... I think $500 is a nice chunk to put towards the forever home for the OEC.
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
ringo865|1470860267|4064451 said:
For a temporary setting I love that l Stuller. You can get 14k white in their X1 alloy which won't need plating and looks more platinum-y than traditional wg that has been rhodium plated -and way more steely than unplated wg.

I love your permanent setting too. How long do you have to wait?
:naughty:

I don't really know. few months I guess? It's just that when this diamond is mailed, I want to be able to WEAR it!
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
telephone89|1470861123|4064462 said:
I like the Stuller out of those. Did you check if they have any pre-loved settings that would fit for the time being?
Check with Stuller? I don't think they sell pre-loved ones.
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
arkieb1|1470872694|4064524 said:
If it fits into your Victor halo (you might have to get Victor or Caysie to redo the prongs to adjust for a different stone height) that is a free temporary setting until you decide what to do with it.
Hi Arkie! I did inquire with Victor, I was told that it's gonna sit up much higher. I'd rather leave the VC ring intact, as I've had some interest lately....
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
I imagine the stuller would be the least expensive option as well?
 

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
6,899
Aaahh - you decided to go with the OEC? I love the setting you've chosen!

I'm with Pintobean on this - put your $500 towards your new setting straight away. Otherwise you'll look at it the whole time and not love the setting. As well as the setting looking wrong for the diamond, the diamond will look wrong for the setting. So BOTH of them will bug you! So I say save the money and go straight for the one you really want.
 

Christinak

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 2, 2016
Messages
68
Really beautiful stone!
I agree with Mrs Blop and Pintobean. Another vote here for saving for the setting you really love!
 

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
4,019
That's a very beautiful diamond :love:

I'm of the opinion of saving the money for the permanent setting you want for the diamond. You will regret it if you don't.
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,847
soxfan|1470918603|4064705 said:
telephone89|1470861123|4064462 said:
I like the Stuller out of those. Did you check if they have any pre-loved settings that would fit for the time being?
Check with Stuller? I don't think they sell pre-loved ones.
Sorry, I meant with LAD!
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
telephone89|1470928238|4064764 said:
soxfan|1470918603|4064705 said:
telephone89|1470861123|4064462 said:
I like the Stuller out of those. Did you check if they have any pre-loved settings that would fit for the time being?
Check with Stuller? I don't think they sell pre-loved ones.
Sorry, I meant with LAD!
ok! Erica sent me a pic of hers. It's REALLY pretty. :shock: :shock:
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
Pics with EXACTLY same size stone as mine- 2.28 OEC.

_38019.jpg

_38020.jpg
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
telephone89|1470949495|4064904 said:
Gorgeousss :love: :love:
Right? I'm doing it. That way I can not overburden myself on the setting for a while. I like it so much, I would just keep it and maybe put a nice sapphire in it someday!
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,847
Awesome! They actually have a ton of settings. When I was looking for a stone she also sent me a list of a few settings that I might consider for a discount as they were preloved and would fit :)

Now, when do you get it so we can see hand shots!!
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
WTF? Just called a local jeweler and they quoted me $1500 for the stuller in platinum! :angryfire: No way.
 

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,290
I would put the money towards the permanent setting. If you go temporary, maybe wg to save a few$$$?
 

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
2,369
If this setting is "temporary"(ish) could it be 14k? Also call another jeweler for a quote. That seems a tad high.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
do stuller and get it in silver. save all the money.

also LAD can get stuller, ask her for a quote so youre getting it all in one place
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
Niel|1471019886|4065181 said:
do stuller and get it in silver. save all the money.

also LAD can get stuller, ask her for a quote so youre getting it all in one place
Yeah, I was wondering if there was a huge difference in price locally so I called. Seemed insanely high...
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,676
soxfan|1471014335|4065158 said:
WTF? Just called a local jeweler and they quoted me $1500 for the stuller in platinum! :angryfire: No way.

That first setting? My jeweler quoted me $300 for that setting in white gold! That was about a year ago.
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
tyty333|1471027435|4065218 said:
soxfan|1471014335|4065158 said:
WTF? Just called a local jeweler and they quoted me $1500 for the stuller in platinum! :angryfire: No way.

That first setting? My jeweler quoted me $300 for that setting in white gold! That was about a year ago.
Right? So insane the different pricing. :lol: :lol: :lol: I literally said to them "I'm sorry, but I think you are wrong. You need to check again."
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
Wait. Could it be because my diamond is over 2 carats?
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,676
soxfan|1471028515|4065224 said:
Wait. Could it be because my diamond is over 2 carats?
Mine was for a 1 carat. I could see it costing a little more for 2 carats. James Allen charged me $100 for a bigger
stone. No way would I think that Stuller setting would cost $1500 plat. You could get a Vatche Swan for $1700 in plat!

Edit...I did think $300 was pretty low. I would have thought it would cost me more like $500.
 

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 16, 2013
Messages
1,559
If Stuller, ask Erica. When I purchased my stone, 8,8mm, she offered 14k Solstice with six prongs at $600.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top