shape
carat
color
clarity

Which should I buy

Mfar

Rough_Rock
I purchased these three stones with plans to return two of them and am having the hardest time deciding between them and would love your advice. I really like the round because it sparkles most but my jeweler friend said it was the most likely to show dirt and had the most uneven color (I personally cannot tell). My second favorite is the elongated cushion but it just isn't as sparkly as the round. Which would you go with? These are all taken indoors near a window but more shaded light. The video is taken in my bathroom

Attachments

• stones.pdf
    684.8 KB · Views: 45

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these Montana Sapphires?

Did you check out the color in different lighting conditions?

On my monitor the video isn't very crisp so I really can't see the finer details of the stones.

While I believe it is commonly understood that step-cut stones show dirt more readily than other cuts, I have never heard it said that rounds show dirt more than another cut ...

I do agree that (again, based on the one video) the round seems to be more obviously bi-colored and thus will likely show more color shifting/unevenness.

Any chance of getting better photos?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with what marymm says.

Be sure to check it out carefully in different lights...and if in the end, you love the color/sparkle of the round stone best, I'd be cautious about letting the personal tastes of others change what you like best. If you learn something that changes your mind about the round, I would use that education and find another stone where you love the cut and color as opposed to settling for something that doesn't make your heart sing.

(I have things I love that others would pass on)

Mfar

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much! These are montana sapphires. The good news is I really like them all so I think I will be happy with any of them. My jeweler friend said it wasn't about the cut that would show dirt more it was about how the color was dispersed through this specific stone. He even recommended I try to run some lotion on the back to see how it will look with a bit of grime on it but that makes me nervous and I probably will not do that. I have seen them in different lighting and have eliminated one with this process. My jeweler friend seems to be more of a traditionalist and liked the one with the most even color but I definitely like the uneveness of the other two. I only have a phone to take a video with but have attached a new video and vendor photos. Thanks so much for your advice!
Screenshot_20201031-094816.png Screenshot_20201031-094804.png Screenshot_20201031-094745.png

Reactions: T L

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
They look pretty close to me but you seem to have a clear preference for the round one, so I'd definitely keep that.

Regardless of the details of its coloring, YOU still like it best, which is the most important factor by far imo. And I don't understand the issue of which gets dirty first. It's no big deal to dip the ring in a jar of jewelry cleaner. Please keep us posted!

Last edited:

Mfar

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reply! This is the first day I have been home from work and got to see them mid-day. It is so interesting how much they change throughout the day. The round does have kind of a weird glare in certain lighting so the elongated cushion might be in first place now. I think I will take a look at them every few hours and see how they change! IMG_20201031_120800885.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the cushion above is more interesting-looking. I just have never been a fan of RBC colored stones -- in my mind, it looks like a "diamond substitute" rather than an intentional purchase. Many (most?) would disagree.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Of the 2 in the most recent pic, I would choose the cushion. As for getting dirty quicker, I'm puzzled. But I have 3 toothbrushes in my holder near my sink. Hubby's, mine, and one for my rings. They get a few swipes when I'm inclined, and are sparkly clean to start our day!

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I think the cushion above is more interesting-looking. I just have never been a fan of RBC colored stones -- in my mind, it looks like a "diamond substitute" rather than an intentional purchase. Many (most?) would disagree.

I agree that the cushion looks more interesting than the RBC. I'm not a huge fan of RBC colored stones for rings but love them for stud earrings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results