shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting would you choose? Palladium Scott Kay w/tension set side stones or Platinum Coast 3-st

Coast or Scott Kay Setting

• Coast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Scott Kay

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Hi, my girlfriend and I are looking at two different settings. The first is a Coast 3-stone:
0351913_r_lg.jpg

We like the milgrain and tapered look of the ring. We didn't like the 3-stone look as much but with a bigger diamond in the center (in pic the center is .75 carat and we're looking at .90 carat) the 3-stone look diminishes somewhat. Price is $2,250

The 2nd stone is a Palladium Scott Kay ring with tension set side stones:
M1107RD20PP_QR_l.jpg
M1107RD20PP_UR_l.jpg

Here is a video of it: http://www.scottkay.com/bridal/videos/M1107RD15PP_L.wmv

We are partial towards the look of the Scott Kay setting because of the way the side stones are mounted. While technically a 3-stone ring, the side stones instead of being oriented upward are angled away from the center stone and towards the sides of the ring. This gives more flash to the side angles and looks less like a 3-stone ring. The tension setting of the side stones also gives a really cool look at the stones from the side (adds flash too). And we liked the look of the diamond under the center stone viewed from the side. It also has .40 total-carat weight of diamonds (although shown is the same thing with .59 tcw) while the Coast setting is .25 tcw and the diamonds in the Scott Kay are probably of better quality.

We didn't like the fact that it's Palladium. Palladium setting is $2400 and same thing in Platinum is at least $3800 so we can't afford the platinum in this setting. We understand Palladium is probably better and more expensive than white gold, but more of a poor-man's Platinum. Since it's from the same metel family as platinum, both I and the sales associate didn't even realize it wasn't platinum until she was about to ring it up. It's slightly whiter than Platinum, lighter, almost as rare, hypoallergenic, and 95% pure. It's also lighter, reacts to acids unlike plat, and dulls like platinum over time (some say more than platinum will) and we're unsure what to do with a dulled setting with all the engraving as such (maybe Rhodium plate like white gold?). It melts at a lower temp and discolored if it's heated too hot so we're concerned about finding jewelers to maintain/repair it (although the jeweler that sold it should be able to do so.) We're also concerned about whether it will hold the side stones as well as platinum will and Jeweler's Mutual should cover lost stones but again who's enough of an expert on Palladium tension settings to put a new stone in (maybe it can be sent in to Scott Kay)? More info on palladium:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-metal.45636/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-question-palladium.41944/

I guess Scott Kay is becoming a big advocate of palladium now and people really respect his opinion (he used to be a big platinum guru, his company name used to be Scott Kay Platinum and he only worked with platinum, and some people credit him for popularising platinum):
http://archives.modernjeweler.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=87

It's just a tough decision and I thought I'd find out what you all think. She likes them both and is leaving the decision up to me.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I loved for the Coast, although I love those tension set side stones.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
You clearly
30.gif
the Scott Kay (and its gorgeous!). I wouldn't sweat the palladium, seems like a fine choice, very similar to platinum.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Just reading your post, I think you know the answer - you went on and on about the SK piece with a sort of ''it''s okay'' type of comment about the other - both of you guys really love it - go for it! It''s beautiful!
2.gif

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 12:44:32 AM
Author: :)
Just reading your post, I think you know the answer - you went on and on about the SK piece with a sort of 'it's okay' type of comment about the other - both of you guys really love it - go for it! It's beautiful!
2.gif
Yeah, as far as which we like the look of we know the answer. It's really just the Palladium issue, which necessitates going on and on about the 2nd one to explain the paladium issue. We spent months looking at rings and she was in love with the Coast one for a long time but then saw the Scott Kay one, compared the two, and fell in love with that instead. Then we found out the Scott Kay one was palladium on a second visit. Now it's a tougher choice.

It's kind of expensive for palladium too when the Coast one in platinum is actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper (and no one, even on the web, can get the Scott Kay one iin platinum at a price affordable to us). I guess the question would be if it was between two rings you really liked, would you go with the one you slightly liked more even if it meant abandoning platinum for palladium? Thanks for your help!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 12:15:04 AM
Author:shiatsu
We are partial towards the look of the Scott Kay setting because of the way the side stones are mounted.
Plus, a wedding band is more likely to be able to sit flush against the SK than with the basket-set Coast. (This may not be a concern for your girlfriend, but I wanted to mention that because this is an important detail to many women!)

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
I like the Scott Kay one personally. If you look though the side stones are not tension set. Tension set is when the ring is opened up like a big spring or coil, then diamond placed in, and it snaps shut once released. The way those diamonds are being held is by 2 prongs on the one side, and by the gallery bridge (part of the center mounting) that is acting like a third prong or channel. I know what you mean though by the "tension look" since it appears to be floating.

It looks to be like a good mounting and don't be concerned about palladium. Just be sure that where you buy it is where you'll have it serviced (prongs tightened, ring size adjusted, etc). Just like platinum, you need need experience with the metal to work with it and you'll need a jeweler who has palladium solder, etc. for various repairs. You'd be surprised how many of them have not worked with it before. But it's a beautiful metal, holds up well, never needs rhodium and a great value, not to mention I think it is a very undervalued metal and if you ask me, I think it will appreciate more then gold and platinum in the future. It was much more expensive then platinum not too long ago:

JMChart2.gif

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 1:45:12 AM
Author: Adylon
Yes you can definately rhodium plate both, and some people do exactly that.
Thank you for your reply, would the engraving, pave, and milgraining be problem in polishing it or rhodium plating it?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for the scott kay...

PearNut

Rough_Rock
I also vote for the Scott Kay - it''s beautiful the way the side stones are set and the ''surprise'' diamond under the center diamond. Is it available in white gold? Maybe that would solve your palladium question - although may bring up other questions.

Go with the one you love!

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 8:26:41 AM
Author: PearNut
Is it available in white gold? Maybe that would solve your palladium question - although may bring up other questions.
Hey, that's a good question... and I didn't think Scott Kay did white gold until I found this one in white gold for $3100:
http://store.jrdunn.com/product-p/sk00m1107rd10jrd.htm

but that's the .59 ctw version, I'd bet the .40 ctw would be in my price range. That would give us a more traditionally acceptable metal; but yeah then you've got the yellowing over time, turning your finger green if your allergic, and 19 karat gold is pretty soft so I'd be wondering about the prong strength and engraving/milgrain/pave. I wonder if it's a white gold/palladium mix? I doubt it, but that might be perfect if it is.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for the Coast.
The bands are exactly the same it seems.

I prefer the double prong look on the Coast, and I like that the side stones are in 3 prongs, not 4.

With the SK it is a fairly antique/vintage looking style and to me the psuedo-tension setting seems out of place because that is a modern design element to me.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the Scott Kay ring. I have a HOF three stone ring that has the sidestones set at an angle like that and I really love the look. My ring is white gold and I have had no problems with it, but I would have no problem going with platinum or palladium for a setting either.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote here for the Scott Kay, love it!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scott Kay all the way!!! Don''t be scared of the palladium, it will be a nice metal for smaller cost. I have a palladium ring that I love and I just ordered a palladium ring for my fi''s wedding band. It is a great option because you don''t need to rhodium plate and it''s inbetween the price of WG/PT. It has a more silvery appearance than WG, but I like it!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
They are very similar, but my preference is for the Scott Kay!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results