shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jnwhanna

Rough_Rock
Hello,
It''s great to find a site like this with so much expert info! I''ve been reading & learning for over 2 months now & I really apreciate the forum.
emsmile.gif

I''m about to take the "big step"
emsmilep.gif
and propose, so I''ve done a lot of research and I think I have the basics pretty well pinned down, but I''m stuck between 2 princess cut diamonds & I don''t know which is better. One has better clarity but the other might be a better cut?
I''m afraid I don''t have pictures or the crown height & I have to decide based on the following:

Carat weight: 0.55
Cut: Very Good
Colour: H
Clarity: VS1 (Crystal, Pinpoint)
Measurements: 4.71 x 4.63 x 3.18 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.02
Depth %: 68.7%
Table %: 67%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

Clarity: VVS2 (Clouds)
Measurements: 4.66 x 4.59 x 3.27 mm
Depth %: 71.2%
Polish: Excellent

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need at least an IS or better yet, an ASET image, to judge fancy cuts like princess cut. Sorry, not way to judge just by the numbers given.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 5:31:56 AM
Author:jnwhanna
Hello,
It's great to find a site like this with so much expert info! I've been reading & learning for over 2 months now & I really apreciate the forum.
emsmile.gif

I'm about to take the 'big step'
emsmilep.gif
and propose, so I've done a lot of research and I think I have the basics pretty well pinned down, but I'm stuck between 2 princess cut diamonds & I don't know which is better. One has better clarity but the other might be a better cut?
I'm afraid I don't have pictures or the crown height & I have to decide based on the following:

Clarity: VS1 (Crystal, Pinpoint)
Measurements: 4.71 x 4.63 x 3.18 mm
Depth %: 68.7%
Polish: Very good

Clarity: VVS2 (Clouds)
Measurements: 4.66 x 4.59 x 3.27 mm
Depth %: 71.2%
Polish: Excellent
Welcome!

Images are needed but don't worry - I can still offer you some help without. Firstly, the very good cut grade doesn't mean anything, AGS are the only lab to grade Princess for cut quality at this time, so vendor applied labels such as the above don't guarantee you a certain level of cut quality.

I take it both of these are GIA graded?

If the diamonds are with an online vendor, then ask if they can provide ASET images, if not Idealscope and at a minimum detailed photographs of each diamond. Or have you seen the diamonds in person with a store jeweller?

Also you may be aware that you can lower the clarity from VVS to VS as with the other diamond comfortably without visual sacrifice, but this is a personal preference.

jnwhanna

Rough_Rock
Yes they are both GIA
I know a fancy can't be judged by numbers & images are needed but I'm afraid it's all I got, as I´m trying to stay within a small budget.
If you had to make a decision based only on this info, what one would you go for?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 5:42:48 AM
Author: jnwhanna
I know a fancy can't be judged by numbers & images are needed but I'm afraid it's all I got, as I´m trying to stay within a small budget.
If you had to make a decision based only on this info, what one would you go for?
Don't worry, like I said I can still help you if you give me a bit more info then I can advise you how might be best to proceed. Are the diamonds in house with a vendor, from the virtual listing or have you seen them in person?

jnwhanna

Rough_Rock
No, I havent seen them, they are both from Blue Nile & as far as I know they don''t offer more info or images.
I know this isn''t ideal, but after looking a lot at prices I feel this is the way to go. It is my 1st diamond purchase & my girlfriends also.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 5:50:32 AM
No, I havent seen them, they are both from Blue Nile & as far as I know they don''t offer more info or images.
I know this isn''t ideal, but after looking a lot at prices I feel this is the way to go. It is my 1st diamond purchase & my girlfriends also.
Have you looked for comparison with vendors who have in house Princess? You are right that BN don''t offer images so whatever you buy you won''t know until you open the box what you actually have, however they do have a good return policy. Sometimes you can find AGS0 cut grade Princess on BN which should be of known cut quality, personally I prefer images in every case especially with fancy shapes such as Princess but with those you should be getting a well cut diamond, then the rest of it is down to your personal preference when you get it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of budget are you working with? Maybe we can help you find something?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 5:55:29 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
What kind of budget are you working with? Maybe we can help you find something?
Ditto - SC is good at finding diamonds!

LAD

Rough_Rock
I would just make sure you aren''t paying too much. I just got a princess from James Allen about the same size as what you''re looking at. Mine''s a .56 J color VS1. With my pricescope discount the stone itself was only $730. I''m not sure what blue nile''s price is but something to check out. Ashley at James Allen is wonderful. Plus they have a trade up policy which I like.

Whiteflash has princess stones that are ACA and some of those in your size range are less than $1000.

jnwhanna

Rough_Rock
Yes, I really have shopped around a lot James Allen, Whiteflash.... and these are the best "on paper" that I can get with my budget. I'm talking less than 700
So... will I have to flip a coin?
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 6:00:23 AM
Yes, I really have shopped around a lot and these are the best 'on paper' that I can get with my budget.
So... will I have to flip a coin?
2.gif
LOL!!! Maybe!

The second looks a little better on paper but in saying that I don't know if the diamond is actually well cut as I can't tell anything about it, and as such I can't recommend it - all we have is a chalk outline at best of each of these diamonds.

jnwhanna

Rough_Rock
It's just that after a month shopping around, I have finally made up my mind & I really don't want to start at that again!
I know it's only a chalk outline & I won't take you up on it or make you responsible for my choice. LOL
9.gif

I'm leaning toward the second one too. Thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, can''t find anything that is a safe bet with your budget.

#2 has better potential.

How about speaking to JA about it? With their VD special, I think 10% off, you could get a better stone?

Ask them to recommend some stones, and get the IS from them and we can have a better idea of the performance of the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 6:11:52 AM
It''s just that after a month shopping around, I have finally made up my mind & I really don''t want to start at that again!
I know it''s only a chalk outline & I won''t take you up on it or make you responsible for my choice. LOL
9.gif

I''m leaning toward the second one too. Thanks
I understand. And you are very welcome, sorry I couldn''t be of more help!

jnwhanna

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for helping me decide between the 2
37.gif

I went ahead and ordered the 2nd one the (VVS2)
I''ll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

cheers
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 7:51:17 AM
Thanks a lot for helping me decide between the 2
37.gif

I went ahead and ordered the 2nd one the (VVS2)
I''ll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

cheers
35.gif
I am very glad to help!!

Please keep me posted as to how you like it when it arrives!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results