shape
carat
color
clarity

Which pearls are the best quality?

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
Pearls are known to be an extremely valuable item of the ocean bestowed on humans. It is used to make jewelry for women. There are many types of pearls on the market, do not know which pearls are of the best quality on the market? Hope everyone can give me the answer.
Thanks everyone.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There's not really one answer to this question, because it is highly dependent on what specifically you view as "best quality." -- thickest nacre? (south sea) - Strongest luster? (best akoya), exciting colors? (Tahitians), easiest value for money spent? (freshwaters) brand cache? (lots of designer brands sell pearls) -- There is feasibly a reasonable answer for any pearl type to be the "best quality."

It will depend on what your specific needs and wants are to determine the best quality/type of pearl for you.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Yes to everything @molinePDG says - I am relatively new to pearls, but I am determining what matters to me in order of priority. There are no objectively "best pearls in the whole wide world" - because people like different things. But among different types, there is certainly a wide range of quality!

For me, color is my biggest priority. I look for specific colors first, and appreciate specific overtones over others. I was trained in fine arts / painting, so that makes sense that color matters most to me.

Luster comes second. Then smoothness of skin. Then symmetry. I don't even think about nacre at all LOL. And sometimes I really enjoy totally freeform pearls, or ringed pearls because their color + luster is unreal.

Anyways - my point isn't to lead you in one direction or another. But to explain that you have to determine your own priorities.

For example, if you are looking for a very high quality, classic set of white pearl studs, I may recommend Akoyas. Or another scenario - if you want a top quality rainbow-like strand of pearls, I'd say - go for Tahitian, or maybe even check out Sea of Cortez pearls! Or if you need help picking out something altogether - help folks here understand what you want (is it a timeless anniversary gift? A birthday present for a 16yr old? etc...) But I am making those stories up, because I am not sure what you are after!

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
There's not really one answer to this question, because it is highly dependent on what specifically you view as "best quality." -- thickest nacre? (south sea) - Strongest luster? (best akoya), exciting colors? (Tahitians), easiest value for money spent? (freshwaters) brand cache? (lots of designer brands sell pearls) -- There is feasibly a reasonable answer for any pearl type to be the "best quality."

It will depend on what your specific needs and wants are to determine the best quality/type of pearl for you.

Thanks for your detailed comment

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
Yes to everything @molinePDG says - I am relatively new to pearls, but I am determining what matters to me in order of priority. There are no objectively "best pearls in the whole wide world" - because people like different things. But among different types, there is certainly a wide range of quality!

For me, color is my biggest priority. I look for specific colors first, and appreciate specific overtones over others. I was trained in fine arts / painting, so that makes sense that color matters most to me.

Luster comes second. Then smoothness of skin. Then symmetry. I don't even think about nacre at all LOL. And sometimes I really enjoy totally freeform pearls, or ringed pearls because their color + luster is unreal.

Anyways - my point isn't to lead you in one direction or another. But to explain that you have to determine your own priorities.

For example, if you are looking for a very high quality, classic set of white pearl studs, I may recommend Akoyas. Or another scenario - if you want a top quality rainbow-like strand of pearls, I'd say - go for Tahitian, or maybe even check out Sea of Cortez pearls! Or if you need help picking out something altogether - help folks here understand what you want (is it a timeless anniversary gift? A birthday present for a 16yr old? etc...) But I am making those stories up, because I am not sure what you are after!

Thanks you so much

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.