shape
carat
color
clarity

Which pear would you choose - re: color and size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crl_md

Rough_Rock
It has been such a pleasure to read the excellent info on this site over the past few days. I am hooked! I am finally in the process of looking at engagement rings. I came across 2 stones at BN around the same price and wondered based on the specs what you all thought. I know it is terribly difficult without photos but this is more a question of losing 0.1 carat weight and gaining an upgrade from J --> I color grade. I had read so much about J stones and was just nervous at the end of the day. That said, I am not sure how much a difference I vs. J even makes.

#1 - 1.39 ct pear, very good cut, I color, VS2 clarity, 1.45 L-W (my preference) = 6.52 mm across by 9.43 mm long, no fluoresence

#2 - 1.53 ct pear, very good cut, J color, VS2 clarity, 1.45 L-W = 6.47 x 9.45, strong fluoresence

I think things like polish, symm, depth, tablet etc are basically good and equal among the 2 (see all I have learned in 2 days on this site!)

Thanks so much for any opinions. Also is it curious that the measurements seem to similiar when the carat weight is that much?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really depends on how it is cut. Probably the second stone has a larger depth.

But you should really work with someone as pears are difficult to buy. With BN it is really a shot in the dark.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 5:54:13 PM
Author:crl_md
It has been such a pleasure to read the excellent info on this site over the past few days. I am hooked! I am finally in the process of looking at engagement rings. I came across 2 stones at BN around the same price and wondered based on the specs what you all thought. I know it is terribly difficult without photos but this is more a question of losing 0.1 carat weight and gaining an upgrade from J --> I color grade. I had read so much about J stones and was just nervous at the end of the day. That said, I am not sure how much a difference I vs. J even makes.

#1 - 1.39 ct pear, very good cut, I color, VS2 clarity, 1.45 L-W (my preference) = 6.52 mm across by 9.43 mm long, no fluoresence

#2 - 1.53 ct pear, very good cut, J color, VS2 clarity, 1.45 L-W = 6.47 x 9.45, strong fluoresence

I think things like polish, symm, depth, tablet etc are basically good and equal among the 2 (see all I have learned in 2 days on this site!)

Thanks so much for any opinions. Also is it curious that the measurements seem to similiar when the carat weight is that much?
Hi crl,

Fellow pear lover here! The bottom line is I personally would not purchase a pear without at least photos otherwise it is really buying blind. Pears can vary in shape, type and personality tremendously, they are not an easy shape to analyse at least without images and much is down to the personal taste of the buyer.

A J colour pear might show a little warmth from the side and in the tip in some lights. My 2ct GIA graded pear is an H colour and shows a tiny tint of warmth in the tip at times, so I would maybe advise looking at I colour or better unless you can view some J colour pears in person to see what you think.

Face up size or spread is also more difficult with fancy shapes, it isn't uncommon to see a lighter weight pear face up similarly to a heavier one depending on the cut and where the diamond is holding weight.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I would want to see pics - it''s so hard to tell without pics for fancy shapes. However, if all else is equal, I would go with the higher color stone.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I''m a pear lover too, and, I agree, it is nearly impossible to judge two fancies without photos. You''ve gotten good advice here, I''m afraid that there isn''t much more to add. Remember, although the overall shape is similar, they could be very different in overall cutting style. Maybe one has a distinct bow tie? Maybe one has chunky facets, and the other more crushed-ice faceting? As was mentioned, maybe the faceting and/or color is different in the tip or end of one stone than it is in the mid-section of the stone? Maybe the strong fluorescence of the J is bothersome? Maybe the strong fluorescence makes the J appear whiter than the I-colored gem with no fluorescence? Maybe one diamond looks dead and the other fantastic? Who knows. And, I agree again, if I HAD to choose one, all things being relatively equal, I''d probably go with the higher color, no fluorescence gem. However, since personally I don''t mind lower-color diamonds, seeing the two stones in person could completely change my mind...

Is it possible to extend your search in hopes of finding some pear shaped diamonds that you can see before ordering?

crl_md

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice guys. What kinds of stores do you feel I should research to find a large inventory of these 1.39+ carat pears (about how low I will go in size) - I live in Ohio...and just don''t know where to look! It doesn''t seem like your basic jewelers have too many pears.

Also, is there anyway to see pics from Blue Nile? I noticed some of the GIA reports contain pics and others don''t. It just seems the pricing is so good, I''d love to use them. Plus, myself and my boyfriend are both physicians with very very little time to go hunting :)

crl_md

Rough_Rock
Oh yes, and if anyone has any tips on online retailers who have more photos of the actual stone that would be incredibly helpful! I have heard many talking about Whiteflash but don''t know what that is really. :) I am clueless, thanks for all your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results