shape
carat
color
clarity

Which oval cut moissanite shines closest to a diamond?

NewBeginnings

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I am in my search of the perfect stone for the e-ring! I had been looking at diamonds and lab-grown options but now seeing how a moissanite ring I saw looked identical next to a diamond ring - I am now open to checking out moissanite. I have seen some mention that August Vintage is one of the best. But does it shine, in particular the rainbow effect, much more than a well cut oval diamond? I am looking for what may be the most comparable to a well cut oval shaped diamond.

Has anyone had experience with the Diamond Cut moissanite from Harro gem? They mentioned its between the brilliant cut and ice crushed cut, but I read a thread on this forum that their ice-crushed cut was milky/cloudy. I wonder how it would compare to August Vintage or others that you know of.

Sooo many options...Thank you so much for any and all your help!

Q

Queenie60

August Vintage, Inc - @Rhino enjoys a solid reputation with PriceScope and would not steer you wrong. I have dealt with Jonathan and have had nothing less than a great experience. I suggest you reach out to Jonathan and express your concerns, he's patient, understanding and would take the time to explain the differences to you. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a moissanite or any other antique stone whether it be mined diamond or lab grown diamonds from any other vendor. My opinion!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no experience with moissanite other than the AVC moissanite I just purchased from @Rhino and I have to agree with @Queenie60. His moissanite is spectacular. Of course I have nothing to compare it to but diamonds and it compares very well. I LOVE my AVC moissanite ring. It is diamond like at least to me and it is beautiful in its own right.

Vendor photo
augustvintagecushion.jpg

My photo

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.32.46 AM.png

NewBeginnings

Rough_Rock
@Queenie60 @missy, thank you soo much for your response and sharing your experiences and also photos!! Yes, I have no doubt AV is superior in light performance. I checked out their website after following forums and seeing videos tells me it's really non-comparable and is of the highest standard. I guess my only concern is, is their moissanite TOO good in the sense that moissanite's having a higher shine (refractive index and dispersion) than diamonds, plus would AV's superior light performance out perform an oval shaped diamond. I would ideally like a moissanite which is comparable to a high quality diamond in multiple lightings, which in essence would have a lesser rainbow effect from it than other moissanites. (I would like it to essentially pass as a high quality diamond=)2, as that was my initial choice but it would be beyond outside my budget)

I will definitely contact and work with them! Thank you so much and any other experiences or additional opinions would be appreciated!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 @missy, thank you soo much for your response and sharing your experiences and also photos!! Yes, I have no doubt AV is superior in light performance. I checked out their website after following forums and seeing videos tells me it's really non-comparable and is of the highest standard. I guess my only concern is, is their moissanite TOO good in the sense that moissanite's having a higher shine (refractive index and dispersion) than diamonds, plus would AV's superior light performance out perform an oval shaped diamond. I would ideally like a moissanite which is comparable to a high quality diamond in multiple lightings, which in essence would have a lesser rainbow effect from it than other moissanites. (I would like it to essentially pass as a high quality diamond=)2, as that was my initial choice but it would be beyond outside my budget)

I will definitely contact and work with them! Thank you so much and any other experiences or additional opinions would be appreciated!

I don't know anything about moissanite in general besides the AV moissanite but there are lots of threads here you can read through to help you on your journey. Here's one to get you started. Just search moissanite in the Fabulous Fashion jewelry section here.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rings-from-starsgem-on-ebay-starsgem8.242911/

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no experience with moissanite other than the AVC moissanite I just purchased from @Rhino and I have to agree with @Queenie60. His moissanite is spectacular. Of course I have nothing to compare it to but diamonds and it compares very well. I LOVE my AVC moissanite ring. It is diamond like at least to me and it is beautiful in its own right.

Vendor photo
augustvintagecushion.jpg

My photo

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.32.46 AM.png

Wait...how did I miss this purchase???? This is flipping gorgeous!! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait...how did I miss this purchase???? This is flipping gorgeous!! :love:

Haha thank you @elle_71125 it was a complete impulse purchase. I had no clue I even wanted an AVC or moissy. It was posted by @Starfacet and I saw it and showed it to Greg and he said he loves it and to get it. So I did. LOL. And I love it. I cannot believe how gorgeous it is IRL. Now I see why so many love AV moissanite. I am a fan. And you and your gorgeous AVC ring (and all your beautiful bling for that matter) makes me drool every time I see it.:love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have an oval but I do have a AVC from August Vintage. Yes, I'm yet another person bumping up Jonathan...but that's because his moissy is incredible!
I took this video of my moissy compared to my Henry Daussi diamond ring. Personally, I find it to be very diamond-like in person.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfBXEq4hff3/

August Vintage also has a few diamond / moissy video comparrisons on their page.
https://www.instagram.com/augustvintage/

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for @Rhino You simply can’t get a better cut Moissanite, or better customer service. He stands behind everything he puts out, and it’s all unparalleled if you ask me. Truly a package deal with the quality and service to match. Hard to find!

I didn’t know I wanted one until I watched your video @elle_71125 Not sure if I should kiss you or cuss you as my Nanny used to say :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for @Rhino You simply can’t get a better cut Moissanite, or better customer service. He stands behind everything he puts out, and it’s all unparalleled if you ask me. Truly a package deal with the quality and service to match. Hard to find!

I didn’t know I wanted one until I watched your video @elle_71125 Not sure if I should kiss you or cuss you as my Nanny used to say :lol:

Probably both. PSers are the best enablers...:whistle:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is important to accept that a moissanite especially in an oval shap will mot look like a diamond. I have seen oval diamonds and oval moisssanites and even my AV moissanite was beautiful but it didn't look like a diamond. Especially anything over 1 carat will be more obvious. It will be easiest if you will love moissanite for what it is. 20190318_152500.jpg 20190318_152508.jpg 20190318_152505.jpg

Which stone is the moissanite in this picture and this is just a terrible picture!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
You are wanting it to pass as a diamond. Is this ring for yourself? Or do you plan to propose with it? If you plan to propose, are you sure your significant other is totally fine with a moissanite? Having something passing as a diamond would be a huge letdown if you were expecting the real deal. For that matter, this logic also applies to lab grown.

Last edited:

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just realize some cutters cut moissanite. Maybe this is another options to get a well cut moissanite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results